Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 Pre assembly checks and modifications?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche930dude
Im new to the 914s and im going to be putting together my 1.7 after i tore it down to clean up flood damage and not running in 25 years. So far so good but im wondering if there is anything internally i should be checking or modifying before i reassemble it. Im not sure if it has been apart before or not
malcolm2
QUOTE(Porsche930dude @ Dec 18 2011, 08:38 PM) *

Im new to the 914s and im going to be putting together my 1.7 after i tore it down to clean up flood damage and not running in 25 years. So far so good but im wondering if there is anything internally i should be checking or modifying before i reassemble it. Im not sure if it has been apart before or not

It's that ole saying, "while your in there". If you are taking it apart, you should add new parts, bearings at a minimum. But you should consider, the cam, lifters, etc... If you can find a Type 4 machine shop they can check lots of measurements. The heads most likely have cracks too. They can be welded. Maybe new seats, valves, etc... the list goes on and on. Do some research on here and you will find most of the specs and wear limits.
Porsche930dude
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 18 2011, 10:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche930dude @ Dec 18 2011, 08:38 PM) *

It's that ole saying, "while your in there". If you are taking it apart, you should add new parts, bearings at a minimum. But you should consider, the cam, lifters, etc... If you can find a Type 4 machine shop they can check lots of measurements. The heads most likely have cracks too. They can be welded. Maybe new seats, valves, etc... the list goes on and on. Do some research on here and you will find most of the specs and wear limits.

yup yup ill be checkin it out real good as far as specs. But it doesnt look like it has much wear. Still has the cross hatching on the bores. Except for one with a big gouge in it. What i mean is things like oil pump modifications and like on the vw engines they always recommend a "racer spacer". I saw somthing in the automotion catalog about upgraded oil pressure relief valves. Is there any sense in getting those? Things like that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.