Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT - I wish somebody would do this for our 914s, New 60's Mustang Body Shells
Tom_T
post Dec 21 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Like the title says...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111220/C...gn=awdailydrive

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Dec 21 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #2

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

$15-$16K - ouch : )

reminder to self - check couch cushions for lots of change : )

though a stamping to make a coupe into a fastback might be cool?
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Dec 21 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,479
Region Association: None

Yeah, you can buy the body of a 1st and 2nd generation Camaro. I think you can even buy 50's to 70's Chevy truck bodies as well.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 21 2011, 05:42 PM
Post #4

TMI....

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 21 2011, 03:36 PM) *

$15-$16K - ouch : )

reminder to self - check couch cushions for lots of change : )

though a stamping to make a coupe into a fastback might be cool?

IIRC they have or will have both Coupe & FB as well.

$15-16k is better than $20+k in extensive bodywork in many cases, so I'm sure that's what they're shooting for.

Porsche used to sell the 914 "body in white" for $7-8k when they were still available in NOS parts warehouses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Oh well!
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 21 2011, 05:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Pretty cool!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 21 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #6

TMI....

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Dec 21 2011, 03:39 PM) *

Yeah, you can buy the body of a 1st and 2nd generation Camaro. I think you can even buy 50's to 70's Chevy truck bodies as well.

Nearly complete MGs and Jags too - in parts at least.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Dec 21 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

They have some pretty neat full body replacements going on:
http://www.dynacorn.com/catalog.html

Seems expensive...except if you have a case like a 'gentleman' (in quotes since there's no font for sarcasm) who has a REAL 1968 GT500KR rotting in his front yard several miles from my house.

I've knocked, he's convinced at some point in his short time left he's going to get to it and wont sell...I've checked the VIN, it's real...

Very sad...

BUT a perfect case for a full body resto, worth tons of money done!
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Dec 21 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 21 2011, 05:42 PM) *

Porsche used to sell the 914 "body in white" for $7-8k when they were still available in NOS parts warehouses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Any documented cases of rebodied cars using these "spare parts"?

S
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Dec 21 2011, 06:54 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,479

Its my understanding that when you build a car from one of these prefab bodies, it gets a special name (at least in California). In other words it will be a 2011 something or other. I dont think it is titled as a Camaro for example if that is hte body you built the car from.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 21 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

What gets me is there are quite a few shops on here who could ship you a 'restored' chassis for half that (or less). Nobody has ever called me and said, "How much for a repaired/GT flared chassis?"

Having a brand new chassis available is novel and interesting, but there is zero market for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I feel like I'm being too negative. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 21 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #11

TMI....

Skip & SBC -

I think in both cases if the replacement body is done as an accident repair with the original car's parts/drivetrain by an authorized body shop, that the original VIN got transferred to it. Rick Perkins who used to work for local P+A dealers, said there were a few 914s & 911s done that way back in the day (now he's a PCNA Regional Service Mgr.). I've also heard that from others in other states. It was usually done when the accident damage exceeded to cost of a body shell.

Due to seller fraud concerns, they've gone to salvage titles for such extensive damage & where whole portions of 2 cars are joined (something beyond just a clip) - so they may require a new body shell swap to be under a salvage title.

CA & most states also use salvage title when the cost to repair exceeds the then current pre-accident/disaster damage value of the vehicle.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ....that sounds like 99% of the builds & restos on here & pretty much anywhere! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

SBC - I think you're talking about a franken-build or hot rod, where there isn't a complete Camaro or whatever to start with when using the body shells - as in the extensive repairs noted above.

Skip - the title research on a particular car - 914 or otherwise - may show such a body shell replacement & re-tagging with the old VIN, but I can't say how closely it was followed back in the 70's & 80's for 914s & other cars/makes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 21 2011, 08:48 PM
Post #12

TMI....

If Porsche still had a NOS body shell, drivetrain & all the parts - it would be interesting to have them build a "new" 914-6 for the 914's 50th birthday!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/birthday3.gif)

They should do the USA version though, so it has Porsche badging! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 21 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #13

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

It's a simple supply vs. demand issue. In order to have this happen someone in the know would have to have

A : the machine do do the work

B: the stamping dies to start out with

C : X number of buyers willing to front the money ( X $$) To put this into production

Are you willing to find 100 people willing put up 15,000.00 + to get this thing rolling Tom ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If there were the demnd , you would see 356 and 911 bodies being stamped new right now.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 21 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #14

TMI....

Well you sure know how to put a damper on someones (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) Santa Wish List Scotty! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Dec 21 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

> C : X number of buyers willing to front the money ( X $$) To put this into production

> Are you willing to find 100 people willing put up 15,000.00 + to get this thing rolling Tom ?

I wonder how the British Motor Heritage was able to build MGB and TR6 bodies? (Not sure they still do.)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 21 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #16

rust free you say ?

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 21 2011, 08:05 PM) *

Well you sure know how to put a damper on someones (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) Santa Wish List Scotty! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Not trying to put a damper on any ones list but business is business. I'm aJeep guy on the side. I found a NICE unrusted tub in the local junk yard yesterday for 1000.00. I fussed about the guy wanting that much, but the fact is NEW ones sell for 3000.00 + depending on steel or aluminum. At 1000.00 this one is a GREAT deal, I just don't have that right now so my CJ sits.

When we have the money to spare it's a steal, whe we don't, we bitch that we're being gouged. We don't think about the other guys business. In the end it's all very selfish......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 21 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #17

TMI....

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Dec 21 2011, 08:06 PM) *

> C : X number of buyers willing to front the money ( X $$) To put this into production

> Are you willing to find 100 people willing put up 15,000.00 + to get this thing rolling Tom ?

I wonder how the British Motor Heritage was able to build MGB and TR6 bodies? (Not sure they still do.)

I think in most cases these groups are getting the original dies & spaming equipment form the OEM/factory, then setting up shop on a limited basis.

There were a lot of Mustangs, Camaros, MGs, etc. in comparison to 356s, 911s/912s (early) & 914s AFAIK, so they're market is broader.

Plus Porsche had Toyota come & advise them on improving their manufacturing a few years back, and Toyota told the they should concentrate on being a new car mfgr. - not a used car replacement parts supplier/mfgr. & told them to liquidate their stock of parts asap to free up factory space, which Porsche did diligently.

Porsche also had the habit of destroying excess parts inventory at their distributors warehouses here in the USA (& maybe/probably elsewhere too) since the 1950s & 60s, which is how that renegade 356 guy now up in OR got his NOS parts stash & business started.

So IMHO - in a sense Porsche shot themselves in the foot, since a marque like Porsche should be supporting & helping to maintain their historical fleet, as well as their new cars, because their supposed to be selling high quality & low volume (relatively speaking) production of exclusive cars.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 21 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #18

rust free you say ?

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 21 2011, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Dec 21 2011, 08:06 PM) *

I think in most cases these groups are getting the original dies & spaming equipment form the OEM/factory, then setting up shop on a limited basis.

There were a lot of Mustangs, Camaros, MGs, etc. in comparison to 356s, 911s/912s (early) & 914s AFAIK, so they're market is broader.

Plus Porsche had Toyota come & advise them on improving their manufacturing a few years back, and Toyota told the they should concentrate on being a new car mfgr. - not a used car replacement parts supplier/mfgr. & told them to liquidate their stock of parts asap to free up factory space, which Porsche did diligently.

Porsche also had the habit of destroying excess parts inventory at their distributors warehouses here in the USA (& maybe/probably elsewhere too) since the 1950s & 60s, which is how that renegade 356 guy now up in OR got his NOS parts stash & business started.

So IMHO - in a sense Porsche shot themselves in the foot, since a marque like Porsche should be supporting & helping to maintain their historical fleet, as well as their new cars, because their supposed to be selling high quality & low volume (relatively speaking) production of exclusive cars.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Not so. There was an epsiode of one of those shows I desise on Speed last year where they built a IIRC a Camaro from all new parts including a main body shell and they even stated thst there were fitment issues. Had these " new" bodies been built from original dies to there would be no fitment issues. From my end in the rod world, there are several manufacturers of model A bodies and to my know knowledge NONE have the original dies, but all have been reproduced form factory blueprints
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 21 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #19

TMI....

Scotty -

IIRC the MGA parts were from original dies from one of the body groups, and I thought that this Mustang group got the shell dies from Ford. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've read that some factory dies/gear have transferred hands.

I know for a fact that both the Studebaker Avanti dies/gear are owned by mfgrs. of "new" build cars today; as are the MGBs - which were to start production in the mid-2000's in Oklahoma at a Chickasaw Tribe owned industrial park (but I think that business hit a snag and went on hold - no idea who owns the dies/gear now).

Speed could've used parts from non-original dies &/or there could've been poor QC in their manufacture, which also happened at the factories of any new car mfgr.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 22 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #20

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 21 2011, 06:37 PM) *
Having a brand new chassis available is novel and interesting, but there is zero market for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

If THIS GUY can't even sell his tub for $300 you really think anyone here would fork out $15k for a new shell?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:31 PM