Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> first start of new motor, do I prime the oil pump?, should I have to prime it manually... whats wrong?
Jake Raby
post Dec 27 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Filling the oil filter means you are expecting AIR in the primary oil system to PUSH the oil out of the filter and through the engine. Allowing the system to fill and bleed naturally is the only thing that works. Loosening the filter as the Cap'n mentions is also very effective.

Air won't push oil very well at all..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 27 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 27 2011, 01:03 PM) *

Filling the oil filter means you are expecting AIR in the primary oil system to PUSH the oil out of the filter and through the engine. Allowing the system to fill and bleed naturally is the only thing that works. Loosening the filter as the Cap'n mentions is also very effective.

Air won't push oil very well at all..

I definitely screwed up on that one

how bad would the 8-9 attempts to crank be? (given that everything was well pre-
lubed at assembly)

do you prefill oil filters on routine oil changes?..... or always put filters on dry for even routine oil changes?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 27 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

Brant,

I once fired up a newly rebuilt K Ghia engine for~45 seconds before I realized I still had the case of oil at my feet.
It ran happily for many-many years after that with no problems.

I would not sweat it.
Also funny, I was going to post this very thread yesterday but got distracted.

I am also about to fire up my new engine in the next month or so (with a Raby Cam as well).
I even lost the type-IV engine build DVD and had to buy another one for myself for Xmas.
Thanks Jake!

Stu
+Quote Post
jmill
post Dec 27 2011, 02:28 PM
Post #24

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The only filter I've ever pre-filled was on my old 1953 chevy. That was old school filtering. Open the top, drop 2 rolls of toilet paper in, fill it up and replace top. The new scented 4 ply fluffy stuff would never work. I used the 80 grit pure paper stuff you find at only the finest service stations.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 27 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

So while on this topic: What is the consensus on what engine assembly lube to use?

I have heard:
Oil only
Oil plus cam grease on the cam only
Engine assembly lube everywhere, but you must use the right type.....

Which is it? (sorry, havent watched the whole type IV assembly video)

Stu
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 27 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Stu, every engine builder will give you their gospel on that one. I like the "Oil plus cam grease on the cam only" setup.

Mark, as mentioned in other posts, you can decrease the oil pump-up time by removing the oil filter and using a oil squirter thingy (see below) with a bit of hose on the nozzle to get some oil directly into the pump via the outer hole in the oil filter console. You need those gaps between the pump gears to be sealed by oil before they'll really start to pump. Sometimes it can take while, especially if your battery or starter are slow.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.alltradetools.com-419-1325021713.1.jpg)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Nov 5 2023, 10:09 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

Somewhat reluctantly (because it's oil-related, but at least it's not brand/grade specific) resurrecting this thread after having watched the linked youtube video below by Lake Speed. I went through a period of adding some oil to my filters during oil changes in all of my cars until I read Jake's comment linked above. I realize that was in the context of a new engine, but figured if it wasn't necessary on a new engine it shouldn't be on one that has residual oil in all of the moving parts. Based on Lake's video I guess I should go back to pre-filling. What do you make of this? Here's Lake's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=939WTeorBnQ
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Nov 5 2023, 10:43 AM
Post #28

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

So if the oil filter is installed empty isn't there more air in the system vs prefilling the oil filter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Nov 5 2023, 01:33 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

I haven't had to try this on a T4 but on the very worst designed oiling system in the history of internal combustion engines this works GREAT!

Engine in question is the early "odd fire" 231 ci V6 that GM use in a bunch of stuff from the late 70s though the mid 80s.

You could change the oil and loose the "pump prime" on these.

Lots of engines were destroyed by poorly done oil changes...

Remove either the oil filter OR the oil pressure sender and apply oil under pressure into the engine.

We would remove the sender and install a hose we made up to a facet fuel pump (square box style). The inlet side of the fuel pump would get a hose that we'd put into a quart of oil. We would apply 4psi oil to the engine and then turn it backwards for 360 degrees which would prime the pump.

This was the only way that worked every single time.

Sort of a PIA but when nothing else would work this method did.

After the "set up" was created the time it required to do this was under 5 minutes.

I ALWAYS pre-pressurize a fresh motor in this manner after a build. Normally it's still on the engine stand out of the car.

After install I kill fuel/spark and rotate it with the starter motor until the gauge sees pressure.

If I can I fill oil filters before install during a normal oil change. Some designed do not allow this.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:57 PM