Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A/F meter installation and Bosch O2 sensor location, I got this for christmas. any advice on installation and location of sensor
DRPHIL914
post Dec 27 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

I have new A/F meter from Summit racing ,
my car is a 75 2.0 d-jet that has SSHE and a Triad dual exhaust

1. where do i put the O2sensor - where to have the guys weld it

2. i think the electrical hook-up is pretty easy, but if anyone has done this and has suggestions or advice before i proceed, please do so!!!

Thanks

Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 27 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Since the experts are not replying .... here's a non-expert statement

I was always told to put it near the head in the downpipe so it heated up quickly.

Now if you can tolerate waiting a bit for the exhaust to get hot, I was going to put it where the two exhaust pipes come together (depends upon the system you are running).

It will read incorrectly until it is up to temperature and I don't remember the temp it has to be.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 27 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I don't know your system but what Slits just said does not apply if it is a heated unit. Some of them have a wire that heats the sensor. Mine is located after the pipes join on the header. Ask Chris Foley directly. He is pretty much the only exhaust expert on the board... He welded mine in on my Tangerine header.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Dec 27 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

i put mine right after the collector. where all 4 tubes come together.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 27 2011, 09:56 PM
Post #5

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

The WB sensor is heated. It does not need to go close to the head. Mount it on the collector on the top or sides. Do not mount on the lower/bottom of the collector. Water will collect in the sensor and destroy it.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 27 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #6

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 27 2011, 10:56 PM) *

The WB sensor is heated. It does not need to go close to the head. Mount it on the collector on the top or sides. Do not mount on the lower/bottom of the collector. Water will collect in the sensor and destroy it.

Great, thanks for the advice. Hope to take care of it soon. I have a local shop that specializes in 911's, race preparation and even ground up restoration. He has helped me with a few things already.

I am hoping I can install next week!

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 27 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #7

Dr. Phil

Here is a picture of the gauge. $200.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Dec 27 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #8

Twodollardoug

OH YA! youll be real happy with that. i had to build a timed delay circuit for mine. if you have problems with error codes give me a shout. the timed delay circuit will solve it. mine has worked perfectly since i installed the delay. innovate will tell you it needs a heat sink if acts up but they are wrong....are you carbed or fuel injected?
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Dec 28 2011, 07:36 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,880

What are you doing Phil?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 28 2011, 08:58 AM
Post #10

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 27 2011, 11:47 PM) *

OH YA! youll be real happy with that. i had to build a timed delay circuit for mine. if you have problems with error codes give me a shout. the timed delay circuit will solve it. mine has worked perfectly since i installed the delay. innovate will tell you it needs a heat sink if acts up but they are wrong....are you carbed or fuel injected?

Thanks for the heads up. I have stock f.I. in a 2.0 -d-jet, but if I rebuild and go 2056 or 2270 I will still go f.I. so I figured I would still use this to help tune. I am running too rich now and want to adjust the mps,

Was your rime delay circuit in order to delay start up so that the sensor was hot? I thought they had a built in to do that but I guess not?
We'll let me know how you did that!

Phil
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Dec 28 2011, 09:57 AM
Post #11

Twodollardoug

no, your wideband does have a built in heater. i am using the older analog signal gauge. yours is the new digital signal gauge. but you still may run into the same problem. i made this bad ass heat sink from a copper plate per innovates recommendations and it still threw the error codes. so with the help of one of the guys on the innovate forum, he had me build a time delay circuit. about 30 dollars worth of parts from the electronics wherehouse.

the new digital gauges may have solved the problem already but i guess we'll find out with yours. for whatever reason at start up, our cars electrical system the alternator combined with the current rush from the starter will throw the wideband into an error code.and innovates answer is to build a heat sink and if that doesnt work then to replace the o2 sensor. right.....at 60 bucks a pop. no thank you. so you can build a simple time delay circuit. i have mine set to about 45 seconds.

now after i turn the ignition on, the timer starts its count down. 45 seconds is plenty of time to get the engine started and smoothed out. the the widebands heater function kicks in the the gauges starts metering. problem solved....if you soldering skills are adequate its a piece of cake....of i could build one for you if you need it.

let us know.... im curious to see if you have problems. and more curious to know what your A/F readings are with your fuel injection. you want your A/F to right at 12.7-13.0 at WOT. and cruising speed or 1/3 throttle position to be as lean as you can get it. with very little load, you should aim for 15.1-16.1-17.1 your engine will let you know how lean you can go before it starts protesting. that will yield you best m.p.g. i am carburated and i am getting right at 40 m.p.g. with a perfect 12.8 WOT

you can only get so lean before you start going the other way. what i mean is at some point you will be using more throttle to get the car moving at part throttle and that will start cutting into your mpg. its easy to see it with carburetors cuz you'll be on your mains before you know it. its a balancing act.

good luck and let us know your results.

one more thing....your timing will play a big roll in your tuning. a/f ratio and timing work as a team. its not like you just set your timing then tune the FI to that timing. you will set the timing then tune, reset timing retune and so on till its perfect. thats how you get some serious mileage and performance. i hope your not using a 009 dizzy. you will go in circles if you are.
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 28 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I've been running that gauge since 2006 with no problems
its a great system
I have it hard mounted into my race car

I also use another innovate tail pipe system as a temporary on other cars with the hand held meter

You'll love it
I've done a few MPS tunes with them
you shouldn't need any "timer delay" or have any problems
brant

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Dec 28 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #13

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

sensor must be between 9 o clock to 3 o clock (never pointing down) O2 sensor is required to be warmed up before running it. never run the engine without powering the o2 warm up circuit, this will shorten its life.

if that comes with the LC-1 controller, you can program the sample rate to be slower and give a smoother, less jumpy reading. (sample pulse delay or pulse averaging)

I forget what a triad looks like. perhaps post a picture. the LC-1 sample rate is fast enough to see individual cylinders making for a jumpy unreadable gauge. I would place it where i can see the sum of all 4 cylinders
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Dec 28 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #14

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

ps. the software is easy to use and free download on their site
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Dec 28 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

I ordered the same gauge from Innovate yesterday plus the gauge holder that replaces the ash tray from Rennenmetal. I know she's running rich from looking at the spark plugs. I'll post the numbers once I get it installed and maybe get some lessons learned from the group on tuning. I'm running a 1911cc with IDF40s. I would love to get 40mpg; I'm currently getting 21mpg.
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Dec 28 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #16

Small Member

Member No.: 633

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 28 2011, 09:47 AM) *

its a great system

I also use another innovate tail pipe system as a temporary on other cars with the hand held meter

You'll love it
brant

Hi Brant -
How do you monitor each side being you have dual exhaust?
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 28 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Dec 28 2011, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 28 2011, 09:47 AM) *

its a great system

You'll love it
brant

Hi Brant -
How do you monitor each side being you have dual exhaust?

On the race car I'm really only monitoring one side.
I could potentially have a problem on the other bank and not know it...
but since I'm using it for jetting I still know that the jetting is correct for one bank, and I use the same jetting on the other side.

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Dec 28 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 7,351

I've had my LC-1 installed for two years after I built my carbed 2056. I mounted the bung just after the collector on my Bursch exhaust. The unit itself is installed underneath the car in the back right side. The harness goes through one of the grommets in the rear engine tin into the engine bay. That's where I mounted the LED and reset switch. I've got the gauge mounted next to the center console. No issues to report so far. Works everytime.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Dec 28 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #19

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

You really want a system that datalogs if you want to fine tune. The gauge is really only good for monitoring and rough adjustments (primarily at idle). Innovate has a handheld unit (lm2). That has a quick mount accessory , a holder that holds the sensor just inside the exhaust tip, as long as your pipe is not to big you can get an adequate reading. On my 930 the sensor is mounted just after the turbo, right before the muffler. I get great readings frome there.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Dec 28 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #20

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 28 2011, 12:42 PM) *

I've had my LC-1 installed for two years after I built my carbed 2056. I mounted the bung just after the collector on my Bursch exhaust. The unit itself is installed underneath the car in the back right side. The harness goes through one of the grommets in the rear engine tin into the engine bay. That's where I mounted the LED and reset switch. I've got the gauge mounted next to the center console. No issues to report so far. Works everytime.

no kidding...... dang i had nothing but problems with mine. i had to build a heat sink to no avail. swapped o2 sensors from with my lm-2, updated the firmware.i tried everything and kept getting the error code. my last resort was the delay circuit. if that didnt work i was gonna yank it. because it was useless.

you must have gotten a good lc-1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:18 PM