Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do I have a bad Relay Board?, VR was over charging
plas76targa
post Aug 23 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,700
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've been chasing down an overcharging situation with my Alternator. Read many posts here and on the Bird board.
Situation: voltage accross battery is HIGH 16+ volts. Dash light reacts normally - on with key, off when engine starts.
I've cleaned ground straps, ground wires above relay board, at head lights, checked fuse panel (cleaned that as best as possible while trying NOT to disturb 32 yr old wires).

I read a post that suggested testing if the relay board was the culprit by attaching ALT wires directly to the Voltage Regulator. When I did this the voltage accross the battery was only 12.4 volts.

So.. is my relay board the culprit or are there other tests I need to do? purhaps clean more at the fuses or ignition key wires???

Can I drive the car for long periods in this setup. The dash light does not come on with the VR unplugged from the relay board. I'd be at risk with any other charging problems. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Anyone in the Bay Area have an extra relay board they would part with?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Aug 24 2004, 10:00 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,700
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Bump. Any ideas folks? This one's driving me nuts!
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Aug 24 2004, 10:48 AM
Post #3

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

Pick up a VR at one of your FLAPS and try that... Replacing that has solved most of my charging problems and at $20 it's cheap.

Best of luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:22 PM