Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I have a bad Relay Board?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plas76targa
I've been chasing down an overcharging situation with my Alternator. Read many posts here and on the Bird board.
Situation: voltage accross battery is HIGH 16+ volts. Dash light reacts normally - on with key, off when engine starts.
I've cleaned ground straps, ground wires above relay board, at head lights, checked fuse panel (cleaned that as best as possible while trying NOT to disturb 32 yr old wires).

I read a post that suggested testing if the relay board was the culprit by attaching ALT wires directly to the Voltage Regulator. When I did this the voltage accross the battery was only 12.4 volts.

So.. is my relay board the culprit or are there other tests I need to do? purhaps clean more at the fuses or ignition key wires???

Can I drive the car for long periods in this setup. The dash light does not come on with the VR unplugged from the relay board. I'd be at risk with any other charging problems. unsure.gif

Anyone in the Bay Area have an extra relay board they would part with?

Thanks!
plas76targa
huh.gif Bump. Any ideas folks? This one's driving me nuts!
Kerrys914
Pick up a VR at one of your FLAPS and try that... Replacing that has solved most of my charging problems and at $20 it's cheap.

Best of luck beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.