Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NWHA Schedule for 2012, 2012 HillClimbs.
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 12 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #21

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 12 2012, 08:52 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 12 2012, 04:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 11 2012, 08:42 AM) *

Why don't you show up Rob. We need some more 914's up there and it's down to you, me, Mike K. and a few others to hold up the side. We can call ourselves the old technology boys and girls. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Randal would have to lose the fancy modern fuel injection system and all the high tech carbon fiber bits and Brit would have to lose the modern motor and suspension in his car for that name to fit. Lol! Rob has truly old school 914/6 built with time honored vintage parts that could have been purchased in the 80s. That twin plug carbed 2.5 liter motor has been built for decades by Porsche racers. Mikes car qualifies for vintage status too. They should think of having a vintage class for older cars like the 914s and 356s. That might encourage some more retired antique race cars to come out.

The car I'd love to see up there is Rob Boyntons GT2. I have talked to him about going there.

Rob's car would run the same class as myself up at Cascade. That is SPU (Super Production Under 3 liters). Now wouldn't that be fun, i.e. Rob running Cascade - especially if Rob let Grant drive his car. The more competition in the class the better; it would be a classic 4 vs 6 match up. The perfect vintage car (Rob's) vs a hybrid with all those those new technology pieces... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I've been talking to Boynton for two years about Cascade. He might put a trip together and that would be fun. Maybe he'll bring Scott Fraser up to compete against Bill Cooper. Now that would be an event to watch. Bill is a great driver; you learn just by watching him take a corner, in the wet, faster than people take it in the dry.

Rob Boynton is a cool guy and his car is awesome. He's a pretty amazing driver as well. That would be a crazy car to watch do this. He has been coming up to the Pacwood Nationals the past few years and ran in the same class as I did.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jan 12 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #22

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 12 2012, 08:52 AM) *

Rob's car would run the same class as myself up at Cascade. That is SPU (Super Production Under 3 liters). Now wouldn't that be fun, i.e. Rob running Cascade - especially if Rob let Grant drive his car. The more competition in the class the better; it would be a classic 4 vs 6 match up. The perfect vintage car (Rob's) vs a hybrid with all those those new technology pieces... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Cant you run DOTR tires and run under 2.5 OSPU? Think that would be more competitive.

As much as I'd love to drive my old 914 I'm going to stick with the Z as my Hillclimb car. I have always wanted more power when hillclimbing. Carrying momentum only goes so far in Hillclimbing. Raw power or excellent power to weight ratio is where its at. The Z will be pretty darn quick for a street car. It should be making 350 WHP by the Hoopa event. If I get a blower on it by then It will make nearly 500 WHP. My old 914 was awesome track car but its peaky motor was hard to use at Hoopa. We either had to slow down and use 1st or lug 2nd gear - still plenty of excitement though so would encourage Rob to come on out!
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 12 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #23

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 12 2012, 10:00 AM) *

Cant you run DOTR tires and run under 2.5 OSPU? Think that would be more competitive.

As much as I'd love to drive my old 914 I'm going to stick with the Z as my Hillclimb car. I have always wanted more power when hillclimbing. Carrying momentum only goes so far in Hillclimbing. Raw power or excellent power to weight ratio is where its at. The Z will be pretty darn quick for a street car. It should be making 350 WHP by the Hoopa event. If I get a blower on it by then It will make nearly 500 WHP. My old 914 was awesome track car but its peaky motor was hard to use at Hoopa. We either had to slow down and use 1st or lug 2nd gear - still plenty of excitement though so would encourage Rob to come on out!

Yeah, those Pike's Peak cars all seem to have plenty of HP on demand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I wonder what it would be like to drive a car like that. Most powerful, torquie, car I've ever driven was an AX prepped Viper and the sheer power was amazing.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jan 12 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #24

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jan 12 2012, 09:24 AM) *

Rob Boynton is a cool guy and his car is awesome. He's a pretty amazing driver as well. That would be a crazy car to watch do this. He has been coming up to the Pacwood Nationals the past few years and ran in the same class as I did.

Yeah I spent some time walking West Course at Nationals with him and funny enough topic came up again about Hoopa and Cascade. He'd love to do one but its a real commitment of time and very close to Packwood on the schedule. Us working folks can only get way for so many 4 day weekends. Hoopa is a real commitment of time and money. I think thats why its so poorly attended by people in the Bay Area. Its very much a small local event too. Not same level of prestige or attendance as a SCCA National Tour Event. Hoopa is lucky to see 50 cars. Its just a bunch of fun people running up a hill. High percentage of people walk away with a trophy or a new record if they have any driving talent. In fact one guy who drives Hoopa every year rotates to differnt classes just so he can have a record in as many classes as possible. T shirts list all the record holders. LOL! Of course year after I set a record they stopped event and no T Shirts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Again would be cool to get some more Porsche guys out for a couple Hillclimbs.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jan 13 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

The two guys from Canada in the supercharged Mustang both had good runs at Cascade. One of them set the hill climb record for SM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcgOwkv66o

Hope you get that supercharger bolted on your Nissan Grant. Not sure if you would be running the same class as these guys, but I'll be up there chasing these guys.

I ran a 1:59 (new SPU record) with a thrown out run, they ran 1:55 (record) and 1:57 in 5 runs. Great competition.

Get that blower on Grant.

Can't wait for Cascade Lakes.

Very different than Hoopa, i.e., more European flavor and a great hill.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 7 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #26

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 13 2012, 06:24 PM) *

The two guys from Canada in the supercharged Mustang both had good runs at Cascade. One of them set the hill climb record for SM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcgOwkv66o

Hope you get that supercharger bolted on your Nissan Grant. Not sure if you would be running the same class as these guys, but I'll be up there chasing these guys.

I ran a 1:59 (new SPU record) with a thrown out run, they ran 1:55 (record) and 1:57 in 5 runs. Great competition.

Get that blower on Grant.

Can't wait for Cascade Lakes.

Very different than Hoopa, i.e., more European flavor and a great hill.

I would be SSM. So the Mustang is safe! Working on blower details this week. My car with extra 150 HP and torque will be scary. Drove 370z with kit that I'm looking at. Immediate throttle response that threw me into the seat and kept me pinned until I let off the go pedal! My car will be dang scary with HP! Its a lot heaveir than most SSM cars however It will have a ton of instant torque and HP in low RPM trange. Nice thing about 370 Z is they have suspension that can put down the power. Tranny's and drive train are very well designed as well so no real weakness with power upgrade and if I do lightweight flywheel and pullies the weight in the front stays the same.

I was faster in my old 175 WHP boxster than last SSM record car at Hoopa. I know the Z as it sits now is faster than that car. So should be fun.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 7 2012, 04:10 PM
Post #27

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

If i can find time i would like to do a hill climb this year ..just so i can say i did it
MikeC (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 8 2012, 02:27 PM
Post #28

Arrrrhhhh!

Order placed! Whoo hoo!

http://youtu.be/RRpUC72wV8M
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 8 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 8 2012, 12:27 PM) *

Order placed! Whoo hoo!

http://youtu.be/RRpUC72wV8M

I love Stillen stuff. Had a bunch on my Maxima awhile ago.

Glad you getting the supercharger Grant. You can run against those guys with the supercharged Mustang up at Cascade Lakes. They will probably come down for Hoopa as well.

They run SSM.

If you're going to run at Hoopa and Cascade, or any hill climb for that matter, I'd sure be thinking about some internal stiffing, i.e., a complete cage. Can't be safe enough when running a hill climb, especially in a car with 500 rear wheel HP.

Also a cage would make that suspension work better, so a plus on both sides. Safety and suspension... good stuff.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 8 2012, 09:39 PM
Post #30

MR.C

QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 7 2012, 02:10 PM) *

If i can find time i would like to do a hill climb this year ..just so i can say i did it

whats required to run....besides the norm for AX or track day
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 8 2012, 10:17 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 8 2012, 07:39 PM) *

Pretty much SCCA rules. I noticed a number of sedans (Subi's) that were lightened, but didn't have cages. They did have 5 points belts and other safety stuff.

Check the websites for more information. http://www.nhahillclimb.org/Rules.html
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 8 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #32

MR.C

QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 8 2012, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 8 2012, 07:39 PM) *

Pretty much SCCA rules. I noticed a number of sedans (Subi's) that were lightened, but didn't have cages. They did have 5 points belts and other safety stuff.

Check the websites for more information. http://www.nhahillclimb.org/Rules.html

right on! thanks
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:59 AM