Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College budget restoration, Trudging forward
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 29 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Hello all,
I'm finally getting around to documenting my restoration after the past several months of work. This may not get updated immediately as I'm trying to get as much done as possible before grad school kicks in again in January. However, I'm going to try and post pics when I can.
I purchased this car from a gentleman less than ten minutes from my house named Ray. He apparently is/was a member on the forum as well and was a very cool guy to meet. We talked several times about the car and he was very up-front about its condition (to the best of his own knowledge). He recommended it be used only for the drivetrain, which at this point seems like it was the correct suggestion. However, being 27 and stubborn, I saw it as an opportunity. Most of my experience in the past has been with American and Japanese cars from the the 1980s and newer, and most of that spent doing body work. This car I saw as a chance to learn something (mostly because I figured I couldn't make it any worse than it already was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
So, after seeing the thing run and falling in love, I gave Ray 1,000 for it and convinced my girlfriend to help me tow it home. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of this, but wish I did! The look on her embarased face was something like, "Oh my God, now I've become trailer trash." We towed it five miles clunking the whole way because Ray failed to mention that the CV joints had been disconnected from the wheel. What a ride home.
I then set to work on it immediately, replacing a broken clutch fork and cable over the span of a weekend. Drove it around for two weeks to make sure I was still crazy enough to keep it, then began tearing it down.
I should mention several things. First of all, this car always had an intention of being raced, which initially was to be in Chumpcar. However, I realized the amount of work needed just to get the thing safe to drive warranted me keeping it for more than just track use. So, at the moment, its going to race Chumpcar next August, and I'm going to PRAY it doesn't get clobbered so that it can be driven afterward. Trust me, I already know I'm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) .
Second, I have made it a point and a promise (to my forever understanding girlfriend) that I'm going to keep the cost to a minimum. That means a minimum of pre-fabbed parts, which also forces me to learn more about metal working as well. This build is certainly not up the past quality work of many of the folks on this board, but like I said, I'm a cheapskate (student loans ain't what they used to be).
So, here it goes! I'll try to explain more as I go along.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 29 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Here is our old friend, the passenger long, or what was left of it. You know, as much as I read up on this forum before buying the car, I missed soooooooo much. Oh well, too late now!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 29 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Oh man, is this fun. I'll have another picture of it stripped, but this is galvanized aluminum or tin where the center hump used to be. To top it off, its secured with a combination of rivets, bathroom caulk and, my favorite - BRASS! Needless to say I've been grinding for awhile now.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 29 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

"Fuel cell" for a gastank. Seems someone else already was going to race this car at one point because its almost completely stripped too. However, it might as well be a cardboard box. Its not lined or anything, so I'm positive its not legal.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 29 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Sounds like a great learning opportunity. I'm looking for a local tech school or something similar to learn MIG welding. I want to tackle the floor boards on one of my project cars.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 29 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

A great day! After dropping the transmission when I first got the car and putting it back in just to see if it would go anywhere (it did!) I dropped the whole thing together several weeks later. Let me just say, no matter what I have to do to this engine/tranny in the future, they're coming out together. So much easier. The fun part was figuring out where to jack the thing up from. There was nothing left of the jack point, long, or bulkhead. I can't remember what I did now to be honest.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Dec 29 2011, 07:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Can't help myself....looking at that drivetrain sitting there, it's begging for a set of big HF casters mounted under the engine bar ends, a set of drive wheels on the tranny hubs and an office chair with seatbelt bolted to the rear tranny mounts. Strap in and take it for a "spin"! Just think of the awesome power to weight ratio! Directional stability might not be so hot..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Dec 29 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #8

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645

...I like the HF idea.

He should go CAMO like my 2nd one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 29 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Dec 29 2011, 09:59 PM) *

...I like the HF idea.

He should go CAMO like my 2nd one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached Image

I agree! Funny thing is its already sitting on HF casters (on a dollie). Maybe I should hook up some kind of steering and get er goin. I don't think the neighbor kid is using his Powerwheels truck laying out in the yard...

-George
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 29 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

BTW, can anyone confirm that those are Enkei wheels? Have been wondering this for awhile.

Also, does anyone have the dimensions for the center hump on the firewall? I'm going to try to replicate it... key word... try.

-George
+Quote Post
bembry
post Dec 29 2011, 09:56 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

They're either Enkei 92s or copies of Enkei 92s
+Quote Post
Thestigz06
post Dec 30 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #12

Aspiring Jarhead

Member No.: 12,749
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bembry @ Dec 29 2011, 07:56 PM) *

Theyre real enkei 92's I have them on my car. They would say on the spokes on the inside, just a little raised portion.
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Dec 30 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 29 2011, 07:10 PM) *

Also, does anyone have the dimensions for the center hump on the firewall? I'm going to try to replicate it... key word... try.

-George

When I needed that section of firewall I ended up finding someone who was parting out a 914 and had them sawzall out the entire section and ship it to me.

It will not cost much and is much easier than trying to form it yourself.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 30 2011, 01:18 AM
Post #14

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Hi George (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I don't remember seeing you Post before. I'm over in Tampa.

Be careful getting under a car that is not structurally sound and make sure you use multiple Jackstands under the car

T.C.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 30 2011, 07:10 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(moparrob @ Dec 30 2011, 01:38 AM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 29 2011, 07:10 PM) *

-George

When I needed that section of firewall I ended up finding someone who was parting out a 914 and had them sawzall out the entire section and ship it to me.

It will not cost much and is much easier than trying to form it yourself.

Ahh, good call Rob! Thank you!
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 30 2011, 07:12 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Thestigz06 @ Dec 30 2011, 01:02 AM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Dec 29 2011, 07:56 PM) *

Theyre real enkei 92's I have them on my car. They would say on the spokes on the inside, just a little raised portion.

Thanks gents! Good to know. I kind of like them, since I'll never be able to afford Fuchs. Wouldn't mind a set of EMPIs though.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 30 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 30 2011, 02:18 AM) *

Be careful getting under a car that is not structurally sound and make sure you use multiple Jackstands under the car

T.C.

Hey thanks T.C.! I've actually been posting here and there for several months, but mostly questions rather than any added knowledge. BTW, I know where and who you are very well! Have grown up in St. Pete immersed in music and have heard you play numerous times as a kid. My parents used to manage the State Theatre back in the mid-90s and I vaguely remember you playing there once or twice. Will have to get out and catch your next gig (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As of right now I'm doing the long repairs on 4 jackstands and 2 bottle jacks with wood beams along the length and have not ventured under the car yet. I also made door bars which seem to be holding well exactly at 25 1/8 in. Will post more pics soon!

-George
+Quote Post
kevin311
post Dec 30 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 11,752
Region Association: None

If you want Empi rims I have a black set I would trade for those enkies.
PM me if your interested
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 30 2011, 08:14 AM
Post #19

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 30 2011, 08:20 AM) *

T.C.

Hey thanks T.C.! I've actually been posting here and there for several months, but mostly questions rather than any added knowledge. BTW, I know where and who you are very well! Have grown up in St. Pete immersed in music and have heard you play numerous times as a kid. My parents used to manage the State Theatre back in the mid-90s and I vaguely remember you playing there once or twice. Will have to get out and catch your next gig (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As of right now I'm doing the long repairs on 4 jackstands and 2 bottle jacks with wood beams along the length and have not ventured under the car yet. I also made door bars which seem to be holding well exactly at 25 1/8 in. Will post more pics soon!

-George

George, I'm not T.C. Carr of T.C. Carr & the Catch. My Name is T.C. Davis, my Middle Name is Carr
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 30 2011, 08:22 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 30 2011, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 30 2011, 08:20 AM) *

T.C.

-George

George, I'm not T.C. Carr of T.C. Carr & the Catch. My Name is T.C. Davis, my Middle Name is Carr

Weird! Sorry about that. I'm sure that has happened to you more than once, lol.

-George
+Quote Post

20 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 05:26 PM