Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Pickup Points Reinforcing Kit, Tangerine Racing??
EdArango
post Jan 5 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #21

914 Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,309
Region Association: Southern California

I'm the original poster. The reason I asked if there is another vendor wasn't based on price........I can pay the $400 bucks!! MONEY ISN'T THE ISSUE.

I wanted to see any other options out there and what I actually get for $400 bucks....GEEZ!!

Ed
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Jan 5 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(EdArango @ Jan 5 2012, 01:21 PM) *

I'm the original poster. The reason I asked if there is another vendor wasn't based on price........I can pay the $400 bucks!! MONEY ISN'T THE ISSUE.

I wanted to see any other options out there and what I actually get for $400 bucks....GEEZ!!

Ed

Maybe folks thought price was the issue when you said " Is there someone else that produces this at a more reasonable price?? ". Just saying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 5 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(EdArango @ Jan 5 2012, 04:21 PM) *

Ed

Ed - That's good to know....I'm here for you buddy....
I have a set that look a lot like the ones pictured above but they come in a really fancy box. I'll sell them for $2000. Any time I can help you out, just let me know. Your friend, mark
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 5 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #24

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jan 5 2012, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(EdArango @ Jan 5 2012, 01:21 PM) *

Ed

Maybe folks thought price was the issue when you said " Is there someone else that produces this at a more reasonable price?? ". Just saying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) When you make these, keep track of your time, your materials,your electric bill, your consumables and all of your friends time. Figure the time out by whatever you make for a living and get back to us as to what is a reasonable price for this kit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jmill
post Jan 5 2012, 08:13 PM
Post #25

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I just priced out the heim joints at Pegasus. Your looking at $150 on the cheap. That's carbon steel rod ends with weldable tube ends. If you go with oversize shank alloy rod ends with a nickel plated race lined with PTFE fabric your looking at $280. That's just for the joints. I'd have a hard time coming in under $400 just for materials doing it myself.

OTOH - I could cob some angle iron in there for little to nothing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/teef.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 5 2012, 09:45 PM
Post #26

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

from my racecar:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 6 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 5 2012, 06:13 PM) *

I just priced out the heim joints at Pegasus. Your looking at $150 on the cheap. That's carbon steel rod ends with weldable tube ends. If you go with oversize shank alloy rod ends with a nickel plated race lined with PTFE fabric your looking at $280. That's just for the joints. I'd have a hard time coming in under $400 just for materials doing it myself.

OTOH - I could cob some angle iron in there for little to nothing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/teef.gif)

You point is well taken, however IMO you don't need premium grade super high strength rod ends for this application. I used 7/16" heims rated at over 10,000 lbs from McMaster-Carr for $15 each.

But again your premise is sound; you still need to create a design, chase-down the parts, fabicate the plates and rods, and so on. I also chose to have the rods yellow zinc plated, so add yet more time and cost.

Andys
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jan 6 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

What is the advantage of removable strengthening rods as opposed to welded other than the fact that they are removable?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 6 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #29

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 6 2012, 01:36 PM) *

What is the advantage of removable strengthening rods as opposed to welded other than the fact that they are removable?

Engine access is one. Might be other reasons.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jan 6 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I just re-read the whole thread and I see that now. I would be worried about a slight bit of play unless like it was stated in one of the previous posts they where machined to fit very snug. Good info in this thread.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jan 6 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #31

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Removable rods are absolutely required for a -4 with full tin or for a -6.
The left and right threaded rod ends make installation/removal simple.
Non-threaded removable rods could be used but precise installation/welding would be critical.
I use fairly inexpensive (non teflon) 3/8" rod ends in my kit but they're sufficiently strong and tight for the application, which is static (ie. no motion).
Only 10% of the value of the complete kit is in the rod ends.
7/16" is overkill IMO, the bending loads are real small and 3/8" is fine in tension/compression.
The mounting brackets for the heim braces, made in-house, are more costly than they may appear - they require specialized tooling and precise fabrication.
I include long bolts to attach the rod ends because shorter bolts would have the threads inside the hole, allowing movement in the assembly.
The tubes are 1" od x .065w Chrome-Moly (primed only), which is plenty stiff without adding much weight.
We weld the threaded bushings in-house.
All the sheetmetal is CNC plama-cut and formed, in-house.
I think I've done about everything I can to control costs without cheating on the value of the final product.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 6 2012, 11:16 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've bought 2 of the suspension ear reinforcement from Chris! He makes a great product & it is worth every penny. If you don't want the complete kit. Just by the ear reinforcement & do whatever you want for the brace to the firewall. After seeing many suspension ear cracks. I will be adding the reinforcement piece to every 914 I buy. Just good insurance against a break. I won't add the brace to the firewall on a Daily driver. If your autoxing then go full out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 7 2012, 02:24 PM
Post #33

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 6 2012, 07:54 PM) *

Removable rods are absolutely required for a -4 with full tin or for a -6.

This is not true on many levels....not the least of which is the fact that the engine
installation with sheet metal in place is not required on a six. This makes moot the fact that my set up clears the tin.
+Quote Post
post Jan 9 2012, 09:28 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

[quote name='JRust' date='Jan 6 2012, 09:16 PM' post='1600949']
I've bought 2 of the suspension ear reinforcement from Chris! He makes a great product & it is worth every penny. If you don't want the complete kit. Just by the ear reinforcement & do whatever you want for the brace to the firewall. After seeing many suspension ear cracks. I will be adding the reinforcement piece to every 914 I buy. Just good insurance against a break. I won't add the brace to the firewall on a Daily driver. If your autoxing then go full out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Question for Chris.. I order a suspension ear reinforcement from Chris' site this morning. My question is , do the reinforcememts come 'prebent' to mold to the suspension ear as pictured on his web site?
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jan 9 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #35

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(396 @ Jan 9 2012, 10:28 PM) *

Question for Chris.. I order a suspension ear reinforcement from Chris' site this morning. My question is , do the reinforcememts come 'prebent' to mold to the suspension ear as pictured on his web site?

The Paypal link has a pulldown menu to select either flat or prebent.I believe you ordered the flat ones.
+Quote Post
post Jan 9 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 9 2012, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Jan 9 2012, 10:28 PM) *

The Paypal link has a pulldown menu to select either flat or prebent.I believe you ordered the flat ones.

I did not see the pull down.. can you please sends prebent?.... I revisited your site and figured it out.. If you've sent it, I'll deal with it.

Thanks
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 9 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #37

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I bought the ear reinforcements too and they work great.... at least I think so... I'll let you know if they fail in the next 35 years or so... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 05:08 PM