Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil Leaks, Fixing my FU's
76-914
post Jan 8 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I knew I would end up dropping this drive train sometime soon after the rebuild. It was inevitable. My first T4 rebuild, first tranny rebuild, used oem oil pump and all from a car that had not run in 11 years (and that was heresay) It has leaked at the rear seal since I put it together. A little at the front and on the sides whenever I misalign a valve cover gasket. BTW, the tranny is tight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

When I got it apart this is what I found

Attached ImageAttached Image

I did my homework these past few months and have found this. Given that the cranks sealing surface is good, some people believe that the Westy (BASO) seal is superior in that it perhaps 2mm longer. So I ordered one. Also, always replace the O-ring, so I ordered one. Many say that the seal is not to be installed with a hammer or 2x4 (which I had previously done) so I borrowed a VW#191 tool for the seal install. Here is a pic of the new seal installed with the tool in place. Love this tool, thx John. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It was somewhere about here that I noticed the O-ring was missing. How the Hell did I do that. I think that I may have dropped it the last time I pulled the flywheel when on the bench. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Oh well, I know that this end of the motor is proper, now.

Attached Image

I also have some leakage showing up on the Taco plate so I'll attack the front next.

Attached Image

I expected to see some signs of a leak in this area but not yet.

Attached Image

Anyway, the bottom line is I'll go back in, fix my FU's post it here and maybe it will save some other schmuck the irritation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
76-914   Oil Leaks   Jan 8 2012, 06:31 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 10:00 AM