I knew I would end up dropping this drive train sometime soon after the rebuild. It was inevitable. My first T4 rebuild, first tranny rebuild, used oem oil pump and all from a car that had not run in 11 years (and that was heresay) It has leaked at the rear seal since I put it together. A little at the front and on the sides whenever I misalign a valve cover gasket. BTW, the tranny is tight biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

When I got it apart this is what I found

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I did my homework these past few months and have found this. Given that the cranks sealing surface is good, some people believe that the Westy (BASO) seal is superior in that it perhaps 2mm longer. So I ordered one. Also, always replace the O-ring, so I ordered one. Many say that the seal is not to be installed with a hammer or 2x4 (which I had previously done) so I borrowed a VW#191 tool for the seal install. Here is a pic of the new seal installed with the tool in place. Love this tool, thx John. smile.gif It was somewhere about here that I noticed the O-ring was missing. How the Hell did I do that. I think that I may have dropped it the last time I pulled the flywheel when on the bench. sad.gif Oh well, I know that this end of the motor is proper, now.

Click to view attachment

I also have some leakage showing up on the Taco plate so I'll attack the front next.

Click to view attachment

I expected to see some signs of a leak in this area but not yet.

Click to view attachment

Anyway, the bottom line is I'll go back in, fix my FU's post it here and maybe it will save some other schmuck the irritation. ar15.gif