Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Side Shifter Tranny Leak, Drive shaft seals
bcheney
post Feb 25 2012, 11:46 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,348
Region Association: South East States

I was successful removing and reintstalling the CV flange seals...However, the driveshaft seal is kicking my ass. The seal pictured below must be the original as it has a flap shoulder on the top. The replacement seal is black and is in the second picture below. The third pic shows the original seal after I was able to start stripping it out. The fourth shows the what it looks like after doing all I could to remove it with various tools ie. hook picks and flat screwdrivers (seal puller double ear type I bought at Harbour Freight) is too large to use for the driveshaft seal..it did work on the CV flange seals. The rubber material came out in pieces..some small some larger. The original seal has a metal interior circumference that has rubber seal material on either side of the metal. The new seal doesnt appear to have a metal interior...it's just all rubber. I need advice on how to get what is left out. There must be a special Porsche tool to do this....?? Otherwise the only other way seems to be a tear down of the tranny...boy I hope it doesn't require that. I am also concerned about where any of the rubber pieces of the original seal may have fallen behind into the case.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 25 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #22

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The double hook puller does work, you just have to be brave. Jam that SOB into the hole, along the shaft, grab that metal and lever it out. I can tell by the pristine, unbent lip of the metal that you didnt put enough ass behind it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The lip should be all distorted if you have truly failed. Be careful, the crappy HF handle may break. I kept the end and welded it to a piece of steel.

As for the rubber falling inside issue, you can always take the side cover off and clean it out. I can send you a new giant O-ring for the cover if you need.
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Feb 25 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 25 2012, 10:56 AM) *

The double hook puller does work, you just have to be brave. Jam that SOB into the hole, along the shaft, grab that metal and lever it out. I can tell by the pristine, unbent lip of the metal that you didnt put enough ass behind it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The lip should be all distorted if you have truly failed. Be careful, the crappy HF handle may break. I kept the end and welded it to a piece of steel.

As for the rubber falling inside issue, you can always take the side cover off and clean it out. I can send you a new giant O-ring for the cover if you need.

OK!! I got the little bastard out!! I outsmarted my opponent...applied some leverage, used the HF tools (hook pick and double ear seal puller) a regular screw driver, vise grips and took your advice about jamming the SOB down in there and after working it for a few minutes....pop...it's out. Thanks so much for the help Dr.!! I will take you up on the housing seal if you dont mind. Let me know where to send some dough your way. I will send you a PM with my shipping address (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 25 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #24

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thats one way to do it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Not what I meant, but effective none the less (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

PM me as I am shipping stuff out soon and can get it in my next load.
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Mar 25 2012, 09:04 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 25 2012, 11:38 AM) *

Thats one way to do it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Not what I meant, but effective none the less (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

PM me as I am shipping stuff out soon and can get it in my next load.

Finally got everything back together yesterday! Thanks for the help and parts Dr. Evil. Now just need a buddy to come over and help me reinstall the motor/trans and the 6 conversion project will be back underway.
+Quote Post
Steve73
post Jul 28 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #26

Photographer/Shade Tree Mechanic

Member No.: 13,269

Thanks for the great post! I am changing the driveshaft seal soon and didn't realize what a bear it could be. Will find that puller and polish the shaft (that sounds bad).

Stephen
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 04:21 AM