Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5 lug conversion, studs vs bolts
Eric_Shea
post Aug 31 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #21

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That's an earlier front end (steel bar and through body mount) and it looks like those may be S-calipers. You may be a very lucky man... The Cap'n is getting a little far-sighted ever since he got "Hitched". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) He's spot on with the spline difference in the rear.

If you price out everything in the GPR kit the hubs are $129.00 (meaning back out the cost of the bearings and rotors).

I should have a couple complete bolt on sets ($425) done soon. I'm waiting on a couple of hub pairs before I go "machining" That being the case I should have a couple sets of 5-lug hubs as well ($125).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 31 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Eric,

does your $125 price include new studs? What length? Do you do your neat little welded on spacer trick on all of them??
+Quote Post
microsa
post Aug 31 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 329

Mike,
What little welded on spacer trick? Oh and Eric, how can I tell if they are S calipers? They are steel, not alum...just painted silver.
Mike Allen
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 31 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

S calipers are alum.

Erics 5-lug stuff
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 31 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #25

PMB Performance

It includes stock studs 45-50mm depending on how you measure them, and they do include the spacers. The machine shop may want to charge more next time through. Spacers take a lot of time.

They are steel, not alum...just painted silver.

You have M-calipers then "unless" the mounting holes are 3.5" on center. If they are then you have A-calipers and a whole bunch of parts thrown together, like a steel bar from an early car, a-arms from an early car, struts from an S, SC or S-optioned car and A-calipers from an SC.

You're basically moving up to 5-lug, 18.8mm t-bars, vented rotors and M-calipers. I like that front end because it's basically a 914-6 front end. Bolts right on. It works well with stock rear calipers on 914-6 rotors with the proportioning valve taken out. It's not heavily sprung which is another plus in my book. I like to use the sway bar and a good set of shocks to make the front end perform.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 31 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #26

PMB Performance

Forgot... here's a picture of a completed system.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 31 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #27

PMB Performance

In looking at your pictures of the rear "stuff"... did all of that come off a 911?

If so:

1. The stub axles will be useless as the Cap'n described, the splines are different from a 914 hub.

2. Those calipers will not allow an e-brake. You will need to go through drastic measures to add an e-brake with those calipers (ask me how I know or ref. the 911 e-brake thread in the Classics Section)

3. Vented rotors will not go with a stock 914 caliper unless you use spacers in the caliper. They're out there... someone is making a set. I'm looking at having a run of them made and selling rebuilt 914 calipers with my conversions so you could run vented rotors all around similar to a standard 911T from 70-72 as an example.

You could probably eBay those parts to help fund your project
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 03:49 PM