Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Retiring my trusty wing nut, She has served me well.
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 27 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Everybody has a wing man. I have a wing nut!

About 25 years ago while driving my teener home from work on a dark cold night, my clutch cable broke. They break at the worst times. I has able to limp home in one gear.

The next morning I climbed under my tenner and noticed the entire cable end with nuts and clutch end had broken off and was gone.

Finding a new clutch cable was no problem but had no luck finding a clutch cable end. This was 25 years ago and the internet was still in Al Gore's mind.

I found a wing nut and made it work.

I was looking on Pelican Parts online and noticed they had a clutch cable end. I just replaced my trusty wing nut which survived numerous shifts.

I can't believe it has been 25 years.

Terry

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 27 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The end of the cable should be a 7mm nut. Though you've had wonderful luck keeping the clutch operating for all these years, many folks recemmend double nutting the cable end to prevent slippage. Originally, I believe that there was a nylock nut on the end to keep it from loosening.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 27 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Oh, I double nut. When it broke 25 years ago, the clutch cable snap in two and everything was lost somewhere on the highway!

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 27 2012, 02:57 PM) *

The end of the cable should be a 7mm nut. Though you've had wonderful luck keeping the clutch operating for all these years, many folks recemmend double nutting the cable end to prevent slippage. Originally, I believe that there was a nylock nut on the end to keep it from loosening.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 04:46 PM