Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retiring my trusty wing nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
Everybody has a wing man. I have a wing nut!

About 25 years ago while driving my teener home from work on a dark cold night, my clutch cable broke. They break at the worst times. I has able to limp home in one gear.

The next morning I climbed under my tenner and noticed the entire cable end with nuts and clutch end had broken off and was gone.

Finding a new clutch cable was no problem but had no luck finding a clutch cable end. This was 25 years ago and the internet was still in Al Gore's mind.

I found a wing nut and made it work.

I was looking on Pelican Parts online and noticed they had a clutch cable end. I just replaced my trusty wing nut which survived numerous shifts.

I can't believe it has been 25 years.

Terry
GeorgeRud
The end of the cable should be a 7mm nut. Though you've had wonderful luck keeping the clutch operating for all these years, many folks recemmend double nutting the cable end to prevent slippage. Originally, I believe that there was a nylock nut on the end to keep it from loosening.
JawjaPorsche
Oh, I double nut. When it broke 25 years ago, the clutch cable snap in two and everything was lost somewhere on the highway!

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 27 2012, 02:57 PM) *

The end of the cable should be a 7mm nut. Though you've had wonderful luck keeping the clutch operating for all these years, many folks recemmend double nutting the cable end to prevent slippage. Originally, I believe that there was a nylock nut on the end to keep it from loosening.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.