Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hindsight is 20/20, and other weekend tales
campbellcj
post Aug 29 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #1

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Well for the first time in AGES, I actually worked on the teener all weekend. Literally, 9am-8pm Saturday and 8am-7pm Sunday.

As they say, hindsight is 20/20 and if no one has told you this before, make sure you finish all your tub prep, rustproofing, bracket fabrication, wiring, and whatnot BEFORE you install a full welded rollcage!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Brad and Tony kinda warned me about that as they started welding, but it didn't fully sink in at the time.

Saturday started off lame. I pulled off the rear shocks & springs to upgrade a couple parts. Lo and behold, the new parts didn't fit! Argh, wasted the first garage stint.

It got much better from there, but Dirk Wright's Disease (or whatever we call it these days) definitely set in. My main mission was to install the passenger side race seat. Of course, I ended up stripping the remaining tar on one floorboard section, re-POR15-ing the entire interior, and then oh well I guess I need to repaint the cage since there were some ragged spots. With all this plus cutting out the stock seat brackets and cross-bar, fabbing the new seat mount reinforcements, lots of misc. other cutting and drilling, installing the passenger 5-points...it turned into the entire weekend.

In the next week the fuel cell and fire system will go in, plus new center tunnel fuel lines, plus while the tank is out I'm going to upgrade to a Smart-Racing swaybar and do the ERP bump steer kit and raise the Bilstein strut spindles. I am farming out some of this work as my next major garage opportunity could be many weeks away.

If all goes well then this car will be basically "done" (haha) with the exception of the fiberglass deck lids, which I may not even do in the near term depending how the weight turns out.

And of course, a race engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) , which is now pushed off into next year sometime.

Yeah, I'll post some pics next weekend :finger2:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
campbellcj   Hindsight is 20/20   Aug 29 2004, 08:29 PM
Brad Roberts   Which fuel cell Chris ?? Bill Pickering needs to s...   Aug 29 2004, 08:32 PM
campbellcj   I got the Patrick (stock tank Fuel Safe setup); so...   Aug 29 2004, 08:36 PM
Brad Roberts   Can you com up here for the Oct. POC event at Thun...   Aug 29 2004, 08:40 PM
campbellcj   It's possible. I would love to drive T-Hill an...   Aug 29 2004, 11:12 PM
Brad Roberts   I'll *probably* have a good support crew there...   Aug 29 2004, 11:28 PM
SirAndy  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:42 PM