Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Most hp and torque you can pull out of a 2.0?, And keep 87 octain and reliability...
DerekKim
post Aug 31 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,635

Exactly what the subject says. I'm trying to see how much I can pull out of this 110(correct?) hp car and keep her on 87 and reliable. A friend of mine suggested cams headers and port can get me about 150hp. Doable? 150 would be good for me to get use to the car. Anyone know of companies where I can pick this stuff up or other 911 components or something I can swap in? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 31 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DerekKim @ Aug 31 2004, 01:12 PM)
I'm trying to see how much I can pull out of this 110(correct?) hp car and keep her on 87 and reliable.

110 HP.

it would help us to know what year you have - you might be able to get a bit more out of the later cars by backdating the exhaust.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 31 2004, 04:02 PM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

money is the factor. Bring LOTS! but it won't be a 2.0 when you're done.
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 31 2004, 04:39 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I actually believe that 110hp is about the max you can get.

If you want to build a race engine then 150hp is very doable...

now I know Jake can easily beat these numbers, but your talking about big bucks then...

I'm guessing for 150hp and reliability you had better figure around 6grand.

brant
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Aug 31 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #5

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

How long do you want this engine to last?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 31 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Stock is 95 for a 2.0... 110 is about max for an all motor street engine....

Not a whole lot you can do cheaply to a T4....
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 31 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

A friend of mine suggested cams headers and port can get me about 150hp

you friend reads too many "ricer" mag's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

the Type IV does not respond too well to the normal "bolt-on" items that most other motors do....if you do some searching here, you'll see how Jake Raby (Type IV guru) will always say it's "all in the combination".........from what I've read here, the exhaust ports are terrible on our /4 motors.....the most common mistake people do is do a port job to increase the intake, which on the /4 motors are not a problem....it's easy to get the air in, it's much harder to get the air out.....of course you might say "fine, I'll just do some exhaust work"

well, the problem with that is that the stock heads do not tend to be a good starting point for this either...the solution is to use brand new square port heads and re-work those (more money)

also from what I've read, the cams available for the /4 motors are not the best designed, the best ones are available from Jake who has done extensive testing on them....not sure if he sells them seperately or not...

another thing to remember, the Type IV is different enough from the Type I's that you cannot compare the 2 when it comes to modifications
+Quote Post
DerekKim
post Aug 31 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #8

Ahh ok sorry kind of new to the 914's and wasn't sure if there was a difference or not. So stock is about the most I'll be able to get mostly? I want this car to last as long as it can. It'll be my daily driver. When I get out to Cali and have my cert. for auto body I'll be clearing about 1900 a month so money won't be too much of an issue. I haven't sourced one yet looking to get one in about a month and a half or so. I'm just planning ahead to see what I can do to it. Looks like suspension is getting bigger and bigger (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Thanks for the info all.

EDIT: Also my friend doesn't to the whole ricer boy thing. He said he wasn't familiar with the 2.0 and was just suggesting on what to get to get me a power of about 150 but I see this is not attainable easily eh?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 31 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

If it runs good now, dont do anything to it (engine wise..)

Beef up the suspension, put stickyer rubber on, put good pads on the brakes, and you should be good for a while. Then when you can afford a 6-10k engine... send it to jake, and he'll take care of giving you 150hp... Reliably. Or go for a 6 conversion, or a v8, or some other radical engine.

If Im reading right... You havent bought the car yet... You'll spend 5k in the first year getting everything fixed/perfect.... Without even touching the engine. Thats incorperating some mods to it here and there....

a stock 2.0 is 95 hp, and you can modify that to about 110 hp... Just to clarify...
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 31 2004, 06:25 PM
Post #10

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(DerekKim @ Aug 31 2004, 03:02 PM)
So stock is about the most I'll be able to get mostly? I want this car to last as long as it can. It'll be my daily driver. When I get out to Cali and have my cert. for auto body I'll be clearing about 1900 a month...

assuming you mean California and not Cali, Colombia, price houseing before you count up your "discretionary" income.

if the car in question is a '76 there is damned little you can do and still meet smog, which is required for that car. and maybe earlier cars too, if they're brought in from out of state - i haven't read all the proposed legislation on this issue which is still in flux ...

unlike a lot of other car makers, Porsche never left that much 'free' HP on the table. as soon as you go looking for more, you start compromising something else.
+Quote Post
DerekKim
post Aug 31 2004, 07:20 PM
Post #11

Alright. What would I need for 110. I wanna be able to at least beat out the ricers ya know. I figure I'll spend more than 5k into it. Prettt much everything I get from now for 2 years goes into it. Plus I don't remember if I posted this in here but I will be able to work on my car in class. The shop has welding paint booth and plasma cutter! Also some other things.
+Quote Post
DerekKim
post Aug 31 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #12

Oh I believe a 74 and older doesn't have to meet smog right?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 31 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #13

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 31 2004, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE(DerekKim @ Aug 31 2004, 01:12 PM)
I'm trying to see how much I can pull out of this 110(correct?) hp car and keep her on 87 and reliable.

110 HP

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
DerekKim
post Aug 31 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #14

If anyone would like to chat and give me advice and not flame me feel free. My AIM should be up and I'm on most of the time.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 31 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

If anyone would like to chat and give me advice and not flame me feel free. My AIM should be up and I'm on most of the time.

use the search button here and at shoptalkforums (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

not trying to flame, it's just that this is asked at least once a week along with the different conversion questions.....people tend to forget how to use the search buttons and google (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

like I mentioned earlier, from what "secrets" Jake and others have let out.....the cam and the exhaust are the weak points of the /4 motor....the best header is the Tangerine unit, next would be a tie with the European Racing and the Triad (Triad is more expensive I think)

Tangerine=about a $1000 for complete setup
Euro= about $600 for a complete setup
(might be higher depending on options such as coatings...see vendor section)

bumping up the compression also helps and is recommended.....

with that budget, can you personally do the engine work or will you have to farm it out...that'll make a huge differance as well since money saved will go further into getting "goodies" for your engine......

don't get hung up too much on the "110" hp level, these cars can be pretty darn quick when stock, but most people don't have thier cars running perfectly to know what they should be like........

the best bang-for-the-buck is getting one of the stroker motors, once again, search for information, but make sure you are sitting down, they are not cheap
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 31 2004, 08:11 PM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 31 2004, 07:00 PM)
don't get hung up too much on the "110" hp level, these cars can be pretty darn quick when stock, but most people don't have thier cars running perfectly to know what they should be like........

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) a good running 2.0L can be pretty damm quick in the hands of the right driver.
don't expect to be competetive at the drag-races tho, for that, you'll need to bring wads of cash.
but as long as you're on a twisty backroad, all them ricer boys will see is your rear.
and they won't be close enough to read your lic. plate!

i just forked out ~$4k for a freshly rebuild 2.1L which will hopefully bring me in the 125-130 hp range. oh, and i don't run the low octane gas with that anymore, plus, there goes my gas-milage, compared to stock ...

you get what you pay for, or was it, you pay for what you got, or something like that.

as for the flaming, no need to go AIM, we're more than happy to flame you here in "public" ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (that was a joke) ...
Andy
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 31 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #17

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

just to give you an idea of what a somewhat stock motor will do. At the last DE I did in April I could keep up lap-time wise with a 993 in my run group, he would leave me on the front straight but I coud catch him in the twisties! My car had a slightly more torquey cam and euro pistons with weber carbs. I had maybe 110 hp.

I passed these cars that day:
Boxster S
87 911 Carrera
944 turbo
Boxster 2.7

All that in a car with no sway bars and crappy OLD street tires. Granted this was the 'C' group.

Make yourself a better driver before you get caught up in the hp #'s.
+Quote Post
DerekKim
post Aug 31 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #18

Alright I'll look into it. And Andy don't worry about offending me I know these have been talked to death but searches don't usually like me. But seriously if anyone wants to talk about what they have done with their 914 and price feel free to talk to me on AIM. I get pretty bored.

Dang an awesome run seanery! I think I will get into driving better than getting into horspower. I think it might be a good project to rebuild a 2.0 though. Turns out I'm stayign here another 6 motnhs to finish up and get my mechanics over with also. Chrysler here gives donor cars for them to work on! Sounds like fun.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 1 2004, 10:01 AM
Post #19

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

If you wanna whip a ricer invite them to an Autocross. I whiped alot of 240SX cars last weekend. Same playing field we were all novice drivers.

This would be with a STOCK 70 1.7L D-jet. But it is yellow so I guess that's it. Shit imagine how fast I will be once I learn how to exploite the potential if this car.

By the way half the ricer crowd had to come look at my car to oogle. I did not feel that complelled to see a new 240.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Sep 1 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Guys 110 is not the limit, my 2056 made 118hp and 116ft-lbs at the rear wheels. I was, at the time of Dyno testing running a mix of 93 and race gas but that was for a safety margin more than a power thing. I am running stock modified exhaust system, wait until I get headers. I ran this car for 17k miles on 89 octane everyday until I wrecked it. Yes i tuned the hell out of this motor and I played with it frequently but not due to major parts failures, I wanted more out of it .
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 02:56 AM