Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dawn Patrol / World member, Update 2/16/12 see post #52
Als914
post Feb 2 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Lighting my way

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,346
Region Association: Southern California

I received a phone call this morning from the men's club president where Lew Mengle (shulew3) and I are golf members to inform me that Lew passed away from an apparent heart attack some time Tuesday night. There was concern when he didn't show up or call for his round of golf on Wednesday. The police were called in to investigate and in entering his home they found him passed away in his bed.

Lew came over Teusday morning to do some work on his 914. He had a love/hate relationship with it because he loved to drive it but hated everything that went wrong with it. He loved the outings with all the 914 members and at seventy nine he could manage to keep up. He was a regular member of the Dawn Patrol, 914 World and a great friend...He will be deeply missed.

Al
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Feb 2 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,714

Sigh, this most certainly is not the news I was wanting to hear this morning. I didn't even realize he was 79.. He was always so active and upbeat.. definitely did not act his age I'd say. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) He was a great 914 guy, friend, and dawn patrol member and will be deeply missed by all that ever met him.

It's good to hear that he went in his sleep though, sounds like it was peaceful. Thanks for posting this up Al.

-Ethan
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 2 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #3

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

So sorry to hear this. I got to meet him at the Mt Idlywild dawn patrol run and again at the WCR in Medford, Oregon. He really liked his 914 when it ran properly, he will be missed
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
phatnine11
post Feb 2 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,798

Al,
Thank you for forwarding the news to the group, I know this must have been hard for you. I am in shock that Lew is no longer with us, as Ethan said " he didn't act like he was 79" Please keep us posted as to what arrangements will be done for him. My condolences go out to his family.

(Still in shock) Cesar
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 2 2012, 01:12 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Feb 2 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

Sad news indeed, 2012 hasn't been a good year thus far for the Dawn Patrollers...
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Feb 2 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #7

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645
Region Association: South East States

Our sympathies go out to his family and you as well Al.

From the South Carolina Midlands gang...

RIP Lew (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Dave Aka Wingnut86...
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 2 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

RIP Lew! It was great meeting you this summer. He came by my place in Oregon before WCR. Then got to spend some more time with him there. He was a great guy & I am sad to hear he passed. May his 914 end up in the hands of another worthy soul (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Thanks for the memories Lew.

I remember following you on the WCR drive up to the lake. Your 914 lost power going up a steeper hill & you pulled of to the side. I think Ian was even driving your car when it happened. We were all a little stumped until I saw the coil wire had popped off. Love those easy fixes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . Overall it was a great day made better by you bud (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Feb 2 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #9

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Met Lew when he came up to CAMP 914 this summer, and I put pilot lights and a dashpad on his 914.
Had a few more things to do his 914 but we just never got back together to do them.
He was a character and very spry for his age.
Very sorry to read about his passing.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Feb 2 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,479
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Als914 @ Feb 2 2012, 10:05 AM) *

I received a phone call this morning from the men's club president where Lew Mengle (shulew3) and I are golf members to inform me that Lew passed away from an apparent heart attack some time Tuesday night. There was concern when he didn't show up or call for his round of golf on Wednesday. The police were called in to investigate and in entering his home they found him passed away in his bed.

Lew came over Teusday morning to do some work on his 914. He had a love/hate relationship with it because he loved to drive it but hated everything that went wrong with it. He loved the outings with all the 914 members and at seventy nine he could manage to keep up. He was a regular member of the Dawn Patrol, 914 World and a great friend...He will be deeply missed.

Al

Sorry to hear this. I will say a prayer.

How are you doing by the way.
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Feb 2 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,090

Sad News indeed, I met Lew at the WRC Medford, We talked cars and Golf. Sorry to see you go Lew, RIP. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Feb 2 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #12

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Lew brought his car to the shop a few times ... was glad to know him. He will be missed.

Godspeed Lew!
+Quote Post
Als914
post Feb 2 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #13

Lighting my way

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Feb 2 2012, 01:49 PM) *

Al

Thanks for asking. I am making baby steps towards feeling better and stronger though the process will be long. I was hoping to be able to do the Rout 66 trip in March but for now I am not certain.

Al
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Feb 2 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I never met Lew but he sounds like he was a great guy. My sympathy to his family and friends.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 2 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #15

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Lew was a good guy, he stopped by this last April and I helped put some rubber on his car. Talked 914s for a bit and then caught up at WCR.

He will be missed.
+Quote Post
ww914
post Feb 2 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #16

914 Convert

Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

Sounds like Lew was a good guy, who lived the good life to the end. May he rest in peace.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 2 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #17

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Someone post him picture. There must be one from WCR.
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Feb 2 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,479

QUOTE(Als914 @ Feb 2 2012, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Feb 2 2012, 01:49 PM) *

Al

Thanks for asking. I am making baby steps towards feeling better and stronger though the process will be long. I was hoping to be able to do the Rout 66 trip in March but for now I am not certain.

Al

That is great to hear. I hope my contribtutions were helpful and keep the faith.

Regards,

+Quote Post
Als914
post Feb 2 2012, 09:15 PM
Post #19

Lighting my way

Here is Lew who never wore long pants at one of our Dawn Patrol pre-run breakfast.

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 2 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #20

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I'm stunned, shocked and deeply saddened. Lew was one fine son of a bitch. In 2 yr's I never heard him say a negative thing about anyone. That's more than I can say for myself and most others. Lew had just been here the weekend before. We pulled and reset his rear window. When we finished he insisted that he take my wife and I to dinner as a token of his appreciation. We declined. I want to cry. I just hurt inside really bad right now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:16 AM