Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawn Patrol / World member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Als914
I received a phone call this morning from the men's club president where Lew Mengle (shulew3) and I are golf members to inform me that Lew passed away from an apparent heart attack some time Tuesday night. There was concern when he didn't show up or call for his round of golf on Wednesday. The police were called in to investigate and in entering his home they found him passed away in his bed.

Lew came over Teusday morning to do some work on his 914. He had a love/hate relationship with it because he loved to drive it but hated everything that went wrong with it. He loved the outings with all the 914 members and at seventy nine he could manage to keep up. He was a regular member of the Dawn Patrol, 914 World and a great friend...He will be deeply missed.

Al
'73-914kid
Sigh, this most certainly is not the news I was wanting to hear this morning. I didn't even realize he was 79.. He was always so active and upbeat.. definitely did not act his age I'd say. driving.gif He was a great 914 guy, friend, and dawn patrol member and will be deeply missed by all that ever met him.

It's good to hear that he went in his sleep though, sounds like it was peaceful. Thanks for posting this up Al.

-Ethan
jim_hoyland
So sorry to hear this. I got to meet him at the Mt Idlywild dawn patrol run and again at the WCR in Medford, Oregon. He really liked his 914 when it ran properly, he will be missed
phatnine11
Al,
Thank you for forwarding the news to the group, I know this must have been hard for you. I am in shock that Lew is no longer with us, as Ethan said " he didn't act like he was 79" Please keep us posted as to what arrangements will be done for him. My condolences go out to his family.

(Still in shock) Cesar
SirAndy
sad.gif
eric9144
Sad news indeed, 2012 hasn't been a good year thus far for the Dawn Patrollers...
wingnut86
Our sympathies go out to his family and you as well Al.

From the South Carolina Midlands gang...

RIP Lew flag.gif

Dave Aka Wingnut86...
JRust
RIP Lew! It was great meeting you this summer. He came by my place in Oregon before WCR. Then got to spend some more time with him there. He was a great guy & I am sad to hear he passed. May his 914 end up in the hands of another worthy soul bye1.gif Thanks for the memories Lew.

I remember following you on the WCR drive up to the lake. Your 914 lost power going up a steeper hill & you pulled of to the side. I think Ian was even driving your car when it happened. We were all a little stumped until I saw the coil wire had popped off. Love those easy fixes smile.gif . Overall it was a great day made better by you bud beerchug.gif
boxstr
Met Lew when he came up to CAMP 914 this summer, and I put pilot lights and a dashpad on his 914.
Had a few more things to do his 914 but we just never got back together to do them.
He was a character and very spry for his age.
Very sorry to read about his passing.
Craig at CAMP
914.SBC
QUOTE(Als914 @ Feb 2 2012, 10:05 AM) *

I received a phone call this morning from the men's club president where Lew Mengle (shulew3) and I are golf members to inform me that Lew passed away from an apparent heart attack some time Tuesday night. There was concern when he didn't show up or call for his round of golf on Wednesday. The police were called in to investigate and in entering his home they found him passed away in his bed.

Lew came over Teusday morning to do some work on his 914. He had a love/hate relationship with it because he loved to drive it but hated everything that went wrong with it. He loved the outings with all the 914 members and at seventy nine he could manage to keep up. He was a regular member of the Dawn Patrol, 914 World and a great friend...He will be deeply missed.

Al

Sorry to hear this. I will say a prayer.

How are you doing by the way.
TC 914-8
Sad News indeed, I met Lew at the WRC Medford, We talked cars and Golf. Sorry to see you go Lew, RIP. sad.gif
SLITS
Lew brought his car to the shop a few times ... was glad to know him. He will be missed.

Godspeed Lew!
Als914
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Feb 2 2012, 01:49 PM) *

Al

Thanks for asking. I am making baby steps towards feeling better and stronger though the process will be long. I was hoping to be able to do the Rout 66 trip in March but for now I am not certain.

Al
JawjaPorsche
I never met Lew but he sounds like he was a great guy. My sympathy to his family and friends.
Mikey914
Lew was a good guy, he stopped by this last April and I helped put some rubber on his car. Talked 914s for a bit and then caught up at WCR.

He will be missed.
ww914
Sounds like Lew was a good guy, who lived the good life to the end. May he rest in peace.
rick 918-S
Someone post him picture. There must be one from WCR.
914.SBC
QUOTE(Als914 @ Feb 2 2012, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Feb 2 2012, 01:49 PM) *

Al

Thanks for asking. I am making baby steps towards feeling better and stronger though the process will be long. I was hoping to be able to do the Rout 66 trip in March but for now I am not certain.

Al

That is great to hear. I hope my contribtutions were helpful and keep the faith.

Regards,

Als914
Here is Lew who never wore long pants at one of our Dawn Patrol pre-run breakfast.

Click to view attachment
76-914
I'm stunned, shocked and deeply saddened. Lew was one fine son of a bitch. In 2 yr's I never heard him say a negative thing about anyone. That's more than I can say for myself and most others. Lew had just been here the weekend before. We pulled and reset his rear window. When we finished he insisted that he take my wife and I to dinner as a token of his appreciation. We declined. I want to cry. I just hurt inside really bad right now. sad.gif
Elliot Cannon
Lew was retired Air Force and was a boom operater on KC-135 refueling tankers. I was a mechanic in the Air Force in the sixties and specialized on the system he operated, so we had a little in common. Lew was very easy going guy and a real gentleman. I was looking forward to seeing him maybe on the rte 66 run. I'll miss him. sad.gif
silver74insocal
really a "shirt off his back kind of guy" truly missed , one of the original dawn patrollers and a deciding factor for me to "keep up the good fight". we'll miss you lew, thanks for all the good times. my prayers to your family big guy.
oldschool
Wow...I think I meet him at Dave's 914 party at Cesar confused24.gif Is this him?
phatnine11
QUOTE(oldschool @ Feb 2 2012, 11:05 PM) *

Wow...I think I meet him at Dave's 914 party at Cesar confused24.gif Is this him?

Yes Jaime, that's Lew in the middle. As Kent said, I never heard Lew say anything negative except maybe about his car.
76-914
This has to be asked. I know Lew was single and his mother is in a retirement home (IIRC she is 103) and I'm concerned about what happens next. Do one of us need to get involved or is there another family member who will be making arrangements? I can't stand the thought of Lew just laying in the morgue.
phatnine11
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 3 2012, 08:11 AM) *

This has to be asked. I know Lew was single and his mother is in a retirement home (IIRC she is 103) and I'm concerned about what happens next. Do one of us need to get involved or is there another family member who will be making arrangements? I can't stand the thought of Lew just laying in the morgue.

Good question Kent. I'm not sure where to start to ask. I guess the police would be a good start. Al, do you know of anyway of contacting Lew's family/friends he had up north? I remember him talking about getting together with family when he was in Washington state. Kent, please keep us posted and let me know if I can help.
Cesar
SirAndy
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Feb 3 2012, 09:16 AM) *
Kent, please keep us posted and let me know if I can help.

agree.gif
Als914
Lew has a younger sister who lives back east. She is being contacted by the coroner's office. He also has a nephew who lives in Washington. The point person outside of Lew's family is Steve Bell, a long time friend and president of the men's club where Lew and I are members. He will be handling all of the details and will be in contact with Lew's family. I don't know any particulars at this time on what will be done with his body...if he has a burial site back east where he used to live in Pennsylvania or here?

Steve Bell will keep me informed via his family's wishes of all details going forward concerning Lew. At this point it is a sit and wait situation until family decisions are made. As soon as I get feedback I will pass it on to you all.

On a side note...I wish I didn't have to do this!

Al

Als914
Latest update 2/07/12.

Received a call this past Monday evening from Linda, Lew's sister who was at his home in Palm Springs beginning the process of reconciling his estate. Linda mentioned that they hit a road block in moving forward with his affairs until a death certificate has been signed and entered into record by the county coronor. She has the key to his bank lock box but is not allowed to open it until all documents are in place. Until then nothing can happen. This means that Lew's body will remain in the morgue until then. What she has been able to find out is that Lew's last wish is to be cremated and his ashes released somewhere near Portland, Or., yet to be determined. Lew also does not want a formal memorial service but Linda was opened to a gathering at a venue such as a restaurant with all who want to attend a roast/celebration of life for Lew, date and location to be determined.

At this time with nothing left to do Linda and her husband will return to Pennsylvania with plans of returning to Palm Springs some time in March to finish up the work of reconciling Lew's estate . We have exchanged phone numbers and e-mail addresses to remain in contact to help plan and coordinate in those efforts.

I will continue to post the latest updates as I receive them.

Al
76-914
Thx Al. I propose that the Dawn Patrol attend this informal memorial. Hell, I might even drink a beer to toast my departed comrade. Question..........Will they cremate Lew's remains soon? I didn't get that in your response. They can't wait till March! Looks like Cesar and I will be doing some mods to your car in a few days, Al. beerchug.gif Might take a few weekends. Can you handle being without your Dream Machine for a few? This was Lew's idea originally and a few of us will make sure "his" project reaches your plate.
Als914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 7 2012, 11:14 AM) *

Thx Al. I propose that the Dawn Patrol attend this informal memorial. Hell, I might even drink a beer to toast my departed comrade. Question..........Will they cremate Lew's remains soon? I didn't get that in your response. They can't wait till March! Looks like Cesar and I will be doing some mods to your car in a few days, Al. beerchug.gif Might take a few weekends. Can you handle being without your Dream Machine for a few? This was Lew's idea originally and a few of us will make sure "his" project reaches your plate.

Linda didn't indicate when cremation was to take place. It' a question I will ask. I would like to see as many 914teeners attend as possible and 914's must be driven to Lew's celebration of life. We can all lift a beer to toast our departed 914 friend.

I will be giving Cesar a list of parts to be replaced on the front suspension rebuild. I appreciate you guy's stepping up to help.

Now I'm on my way to radiation to get ZAPPED!

Al
oldschool
let me know Al....I will bring my camera....and we can post a video so ever one can see.
Als914
Hello All,

Below is a message sent to the members of the golf club regarding the arrangements for Lew through his sister. I am and the Tahquitz members are hopeful that many 914 World members can also attend. For those that can make it, we can arrange to meet (location to be determined ) and drive our 914's to this event as a group in honor of Lew. Please let me know if you will be attending.

Thanks,

Al

Attachment
"Lew does not have any immediate family members in the area. His sister lives in Pennsylvania and will not return to handle Lew's estate until the weekend of
March 10th. The Men's Club Board in conjunction with Lew's sister, Linda, have arranged a celebration of Lew's life on Monday, March 12 at 3:00pm in the Tahquitz Creek Golf Resort Restaurant. More information will be coming later.

Thanks Guys,

Steve"

Event Address
Tahquitz Creek Golf Resort
1885 Golf Club Drive
Palm Springs CA , 92264
Phone: (760) 328-1005

Attending
Al and Shirlee
Ethan + Dad
Cesar
Kent
Elliot (possibly)
Ravi
'73-914kid
I'll be there, with my dad in the 914. Calender marked.
phatnine11
Al,
Thank you for the update, I'll be the guy in the green car. Steve stated that Lew didn't have any immediate family, he has us, I think Lew would approve. If anyone would like to caravan from the Rancho Cucamonga area, please speak up so we can set a meeting point and time.
Later,
Cesar
76-914
I'll be there. I'm going over the hill via Idyllwilde. Anyone want to join me over the mountain? Is this a suit n tie affair or Lew style; Khaki shorts and a Dawn Patrol T Shirt? How we doing on those front end parts?
Als914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 13 2012, 02:00 PM) *

I'll be there. I'm going over the hill via Idyllwilde. Anyone want to join me over the mountain? Is this a suit n tie affair or Lew style; Khaki shorts and a Dawn Patrol T Shirt? How we doing on those front end parts?

This is NOT a suit and tie affair it is a Lew style affair. Most golfer's are very casual. For me , over the hill to P.S. would be too difficult.

All the parts I want to change out are ready. Let me know.

Al
Als914
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Feb 13 2012, 01:44 PM) *

Al,
Thank you for the update, I'll be the guy in the green car. Steve stated that Lew didn't have any immediate family, he has us, I think Lew would approve. If anyone would like to caravan from the Rancho Cucamonga area, please speak up so we can set a meeting point and time.
Later,
Cesar

You are "SPOT" right on, Cesar! We were his family.
phatnine11
QUOTE(Als914 @ Feb 13 2012, 02:58 PM) *

This is NOT a suit and tie affair it is a Lew style affair. Most golfer's are very casual. For me , over the hill to P.S. would be too difficult.

Al

Al, We were kicking around the weekend of 03/3,4. How does that sound to you guys? Al, Kent? Please advise and let the other guys know.
Cesar
'73-914kid
My dad an I will probably join you over the mountain Kent. Its the quickest way to palm springs in our cars.

That weekend should work for me Cesar. What exactly are we doing on your car Al?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Feb 13 2012, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Als914 @ Feb 13 2012, 02:58 PM) *

Al

Al, We were kicking around the weekend of 03/3,4. How does that sound to you guys? Al, Kent? Please advise and let the other guys know.
Cesar

I might try to be there on the 12th at the golf club. 3/3,4 is a conflicting date.
phatnine11
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 13 2012, 03:12 PM) *

My dad an I will probably join you over the mountain Kent. Its the quickest way to palm springs in our cars.

That weekend should work for me Cesar. What exactly are we doing on your car Al?

Not sure Ethan, Al thinks we know what we are doing! Actually, Al will let us know what he wants done. I have heard front end bushings, some brake work and a swaybar install. Al will let me or Kent know, you'll be the first one we contact.
914-300Hemi
This is very sad news. I met him a couple of times and he was a great guy and loved his 914 when it was running good.
He will be missed.

Ravi
914-300Hemi
QUOTE(Als914 @ Feb 13 2012, 12:48 PM) *

Hello All,

Below is a message sent to the members of the golf club regarding the arrangements for Lew through his sister. I am and the Tahquitz members are hopeful that many 914 World members can also attend. For those that can make it, we can arrange to meet (location to be determined ) and drive our 914's to this event as a group in honor of Lew. Please let me know if you will be attending.

Thanks,

Al

Attachment
"Lew does not have any immediate family members in the area. His sister lives in Pennsylvania and will not return to handle Lew's estate until the weekend of
March 10th. The Men's Club Board in conjunction with Lew's sister, Linda, have arranged a celebration of Lew's life on Monday, March 12 at 3:00pm in the Tahquitz Creek Golf Resort Restaurant. More information will be coming later.

Thanks Guys,

Steve"

Event Address
Tahquitz Creek Golf Resort
1885 Golf Club Drive
Palm Springs CA , 92264
Phone: (760) 328-1005

Attending
Al and Shirlee
Ethan + Dad
Cesar
Kent
Elliot (possibly)

You can add me to the list.

Ravi
914-300Hemi
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Feb 13 2012, 01:44 PM) *

Al,
Later,
Cesar

I would love to join you Cesar. Just let me know the time and place.

Ravi
Als914
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Feb 13 2012, 03:41 PM) *

Not sure Ethan, Al thinks we know what we are doing! Actually, Al will let us know what he wants done. I have heard front end bushings, some brake work and a swaybar install. Al will let me or Kent know, you'll be the first one we contact.

Dropping out the old A-arms and cross members for a refurbished complete unit with intalled bushings and torsion bars. New upper Semi-rigid strut mounts, new ball joints and Bilstein shocks. I may install new rotors with new bearings? All we need is a Saturday for this change out. This is what I'd like to accomplish this time. What do you all think?

The break upgrade and anti-sway bar install will be planned later to install S.S. fuel lines when the gas tank is pulled.
76-914

Sounds good Ethan. I'll be in touch before then.

QUOTE(Als914 @ Feb 13 2012, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Feb 13 2012, 03:41 PM) *

Dropping out the old A-arms and cross members for a refurbished complete unit with intalled bushings and torsion bars. New upper Semi-rigid strut mounts, new ball joints and Bilstein shocks. I may install new rotors with new bearings? All we need is a Saturday for this change out. This is what I'd like to accomplish this time. What do you all think?

The break upgrade and anti-sway bar install will be planned later to install S.S. fuel lines when the gas tank is pulled.

Al, if Ethan and one or two others show (besides me and Cesar) we should be able to do it all in one day. I can do the tank and SS lines, Ethan can do the front sway bar, Cesar + 1 on the front end, and finally a collaboration on the brakes. Also, will I be driving your car to n fro, Al? Let me know; I'm ready to go.
phatnine11
Al,
Does your parts stash include new bolt joint nuts? I'm talking about the large nut that holds the ball joint to the control arm. Kent, don't forget your ponypack for these.
Cesar
oldschool
Do we have a date yet
Als914
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Feb 14 2012, 08:54 AM) *

Al,
Does your parts stash include new bolt joint nuts? I'm talking about the large nut that holds the ball joint to the control arm. Kent, don't forget your ponypack for these.
Cesar

No. They were new with the last ball joint change. Do you think I need need new?
Al
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.