Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> High-pitch noise from transmission
rjames
post Feb 6 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

After installing a new clutch which included installing a new flywheel, a new pilot bearing and a new throwout bearing, I am getting a high pitch whining noise in 5th gear @ 2900-3500 RPMs. It also happens a little in 4th at higher RPMs, but it's in 5th gear where it's really noticable. It goes away immediately when I depress the clutch pedal. It's not the same noise that the old throwout bearing made which caused me to replace the clutch in the first place.

It's not crazy loud, but loud enough to be slightly annoying.I never heard the sound before I replaced the clutch. But then again, I had a bad rear wheel bearing that I replaced with the clutch that might have been drowning it out before.

I was thinking it might be some sort of sympathetic vibration, but then I would expect the noise to happen at the same RPMs regardless of what gear I'm in, but it doesn't happen in 1st, 2nd or 3rd and barely in 4th.

Car drives and shifts fine. (no better or worse than it has for the 7 years I've owned it)

Thoughts?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 11:29 AM