Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting the engine question, Am I doing it wrong?
JawjaPorsche
post Feb 7 2012, 09:00 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Yesterday while waiting on someone, I got bored and got out the owners' manual and was reading it.

In the Starting Engine section it says: "Before starting, depress the accelerator pedal fully and keep at full throttle until the engine runs. This applies when the engine is warm or cold and during all weather conditions."

I have just been just turning the key without touching the pedal and it will start immediately.

Am I doing it wrong?

I am running stock 1.7 FI on my 73 teener.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 7 2012, 09:12 AM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Bullshit! I've never done it that way. Don't have to. I don't even get in the car. Just lean in the window, put it in neutral and turn the key.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 7 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yep
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Feb 7 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

That is what I do too!

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 7 2012, 10:12 AM) *

Bullshit! I've never done it that way. Don't have to. I don't even get in the car. Just lean in the window, put it in neutral and turn the key.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 7 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Not to be contrary to the vaunted members above, but I've done it per the manual and that works best when trouble starting, although I agree that they will usually start without this.

My VW & Porsche trained mechanic on 914s since the 70's explained it, that the early ECUs & EFI used the pedal depressed to engage the cold start circuit, which then engages the cold start valve/5th injector when cold enough to be needed - which of course is often not needed. This is possibly more critical for CA smog rules 914s which were tuned leaner to meet smog tests back when they were still tested.

So whatever works for your particular 914..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 7 2012, 01:04 PM
Post #6

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

If you do that on a 74 or 75 with a 1.8L L-Jet system, you risk damaging the FI system. If the engine happens to backfire, you WILL warp the flap in the airbox and then it will stick, causing a mixture issue.

I have never heard of using full throttle to engage the cold start circuit. I was under the impression that it was controlled by the Thermo time switch. Meaning when it got cold enough, the system would inject extra fuel.

Actually, now that I think about it, isn't holding it at full throttle supposed to be used to clear flooding?
+Quote Post
flipb
post Feb 7 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2012, 02:04 PM) *

Actually, now that I think about it, isn't holding it at full throttle supposed to be used to clear flooding?

Wouldn't holding full throttle cause/risk flooding?

On my 2.0 with 40mm carbs, I usually depress the pedal to the floor slowly, twice, then release... and press the pedal about 15% while cranking.

Got to say, when I had the Weber Progressive, it was easier to start since it had electric choke. Pump once, release pedal, crank.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 7 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #8

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 7 2012, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2012, 02:04 PM) *

Wouldn't holding full throttle cause/risk flooding?

Holding throttle wide open has always been the trick when flooded. Seems counter-intuitive because it is adding more fuel, but it's the extra air that it needs. Learned that trick for the dirt bikes when I was a kid.

On the 914 I never hold the throttle to the floor when starting unless on a rare occasion if it doesn't want to start when warm.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Feb 7 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #9

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2012, 11:04 AM) *

If you do that on a 74 or 75 with a 1.8L L-Jet system, you risk damaging the FI system. If the engine happens to backfire, you WILL warp the flap in the airbox and then it will stick, causing a mixture issue.

I have never heard of using full throttle to engage the cold start circuit. I was under the impression that it was controlled by the Thermo time switch. Meaning when it got cold enough, the system would inject extra fuel.

........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)(But... I see ahole mech. do it all the time)....I agree wit ya!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:48 PM