Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting the engine question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
Yesterday while waiting on someone, I got bored and got out the owners' manual and was reading it.

In the Starting Engine section it says: "Before starting, depress the accelerator pedal fully and keep at full throttle until the engine runs. This applies when the engine is warm or cold and during all weather conditions."

I have just been just turning the key without touching the pedal and it will start immediately.

Am I doing it wrong?

I am running stock 1.7 FI on my 73 teener.
TheCabinetmaker
Bullshit! I've never done it that way. Don't have to. I don't even get in the car. Just lean in the window, put it in neutral and turn the key.
76-914
agree.gif Yep
JawjaPorsche
That is what I do too!

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 7 2012, 10:12 AM) *

Bullshit! I've never done it that way. Don't have to. I don't even get in the car. Just lean in the window, put it in neutral and turn the key.

Tom_T
Not to be contrary to the vaunted members above, but I've done it per the manual and that works best when trouble starting, although I agree that they will usually start without this.

My VW & Porsche trained mechanic on 914s since the 70's explained it, that the early ECUs & EFI used the pedal depressed to engage the cold start circuit, which then engages the cold start valve/5th injector when cold enough to be needed - which of course is often not needed. This is possibly more critical for CA smog rules 914s which were tuned leaner to meet smog tests back when they were still tested.

So whatever works for your particular 914..... biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
If you do that on a 74 or 75 with a 1.8L L-Jet system, you risk damaging the FI system. If the engine happens to backfire, you WILL warp the flap in the airbox and then it will stick, causing a mixture issue.

I have never heard of using full throttle to engage the cold start circuit. I was under the impression that it was controlled by the Thermo time switch. Meaning when it got cold enough, the system would inject extra fuel.

Actually, now that I think about it, isn't holding it at full throttle supposed to be used to clear flooding?
flipb
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2012, 02:04 PM) *

Actually, now that I think about it, isn't holding it at full throttle supposed to be used to clear flooding?

Wouldn't holding full throttle cause/risk flooding?

On my 2.0 with 40mm carbs, I usually depress the pedal to the floor slowly, twice, then release... and press the pedal about 15% while cranking.

Got to say, when I had the Weber Progressive, it was easier to start since it had electric choke. Pump once, release pedal, crank.
Rand
QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 7 2012, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2012, 02:04 PM) *

Wouldn't holding full throttle cause/risk flooding?

Holding throttle wide open has always been the trick when flooded. Seems counter-intuitive because it is adding more fuel, but it's the extra air that it needs. Learned that trick for the dirt bikes when I was a kid.

On the 914 I never hold the throttle to the floor when starting unless on a rare occasion if it doesn't want to start when warm.
Drums66
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2012, 11:04 AM) *

If you do that on a 74 or 75 with a 1.8L L-Jet system, you risk damaging the FI system. If the engine happens to backfire, you WILL warp the flap in the airbox and then it will stick, causing a mixture issue.

I have never heard of using full throttle to engage the cold start circuit. I was under the impression that it was controlled by the Thermo time switch. Meaning when it got cold enough, the system would inject extra fuel.

........... smoke.gif idea.gif shades.gif(But... I see ahole mech. do it all the time)....I agree wit ya!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.