Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Success ?, Problem solved - no more overcharge
plas76targa
post Sep 4 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,700
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I think I've solved it. I posted earlier my frustration with the Alternator overcharging even with a NEW Voltage Regulator. Thanks to searching previous posts and your responses I checked the varous grounding points, added a ground strap at trans (there was one already but one more wouldn't hurt), moved the Battery ground to the fan shroud. I removed the alternator and had it tested - it's fine. Then based on a year old post, I thought to test the relay board. A local 914 club member has loaned me an extra board he had, and that solved it. The voltage at battery is 13.6 now. Cross your fingers.

I highly recommend reading the Alternator replacement and problem analysis segments on the bird board.

As another thread on this board states, "this place ROCKS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

So I post this for anyone who may be roasting their battery, have 14 - 18 volt reading at the battery terminals, the gen light on dash responding normally, and be puzzled as to what to check next. Search the posts, clean all your grounding points, read the bird board and try a relay board if you can get your hands on one.

time for a beer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Sep 4 2004, 01:05 PM
Post #2

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

Ahhh...Once again a successful fix brought to you the the nice folks on the 914 Club BBS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Happy/safe Labor Day Weekend everyone!!
+Quote Post
JoeSharpOld
post Sep 4 2004, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Does it seem cold to you

Member No.: 2,001

Kool Matt: Thats good to hear (read). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) But I wish You could have figured out to send me the extra volts, I still could use them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Joe
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Sep 4 2004, 03:39 PM
Post #4

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

Glad to hear that worked.
+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Sep 4 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,700
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) Thanks go to you Pat for loaning me the board. I'm working on getting a replacement of my own shortly.

Joe, If I could have sent the unused volts, I would have!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeSharpOld
post Sep 5 2004, 04:14 AM
Post #6

Does it seem cold to you

Member No.: 2,001

Matt: I have an extra board, are you coming to Ventura?
Joe
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:58 AM