Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It seemed so simple, Idle get slower as the engine warms...
marc_hines
post Sep 5 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Anal Software Engineer

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,341

I changed the oil on my 75 2.0 teener today. The last time I changed oil on a type IV engine I was 17 (I had a 75 bus back then) - I'm 43 now and the dealerships have been doing all maintnence on my vehicles since then.

It all came back to me - wasn't hard at all. No leaks, either.

So, flush with this success, I was driving about and noticed that the idle gets slower and slower as the engines warms up. It's get down to about 500 r.p.m. - that's a bit rougher than I like.

So, I figure - Mr. Mechanic (carefully concealed as a software engineer) that I would adjust the idle.

Right. I should have remeberd the software engineers mantra - that's a hardware problem.

My 2.0 has the L-jet FI. The idle is adjusted by moving the clampon the trottle cable end to another location. After fooling with it, giving up - then going back out and trying again, and giving up again - it seemed like the right time to ask for advice.

The snag is that if the trottle body is allowed to closed compeletly - the engine dies. So, as the htrottle cable heats up and expands, it get's longer, the idle get slower, and eventually the vehicle idles much too slow.

Since I 'Adjusted' it, well, I have made it worse.

Any ideas how I can get this idling right?

Thanks in advance!

Marc...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ctrout
post Sep 5 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,091

I thought that the idle speed on an L-Jet equipped engine was adjusted by the screw on the throttle body itself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I could be (and probably am) wrong though.
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Sep 5 2004, 09:58 PM
Post #3

Whiplash

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,140

Check Oil fill cap. Any vacuum leak there will cause your idle to be funky.

FYI, my 1974 1.8L idle slowly goes up till it is at 1100-1200 when hot, and I still cannot figure it out either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
marc_hines
post Sep 6 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #4

Anal Software Engineer

Member No.: 1,341

I forgot about the other side of the throttle body - I will look for and adjustment screw there - thanks.

Also, I found yesterday the whole oil-filler cap assembly is loose - so I know I've got that to fix.

I will pull off the air cleaner and see what else may be messed up.

Don't you just love 30 year old cars?

Marc...
+Quote Post
Levi
post Sep 6 2004, 10:18 AM
Post #5

Lick my nuts

Member No.: 1,783

QUOTE(marc_hines @ Sep 6 2004, 09:09 AM)
Also, I found yesterday the whole oil-filler cap assembly is loose - so I know I've got that to fix.

Fix the filler cap box 1st, you might find that this alone could fix you problem...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:51 AM