Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It seemed so simple
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marc_hines
I changed the oil on my 75 2.0 teener today. The last time I changed oil on a type IV engine I was 17 (I had a 75 bus back then) - I'm 43 now and the dealerships have been doing all maintnence on my vehicles since then.

It all came back to me - wasn't hard at all. No leaks, either.

So, flush with this success, I was driving about and noticed that the idle gets slower and slower as the engines warms up. It's get down to about 500 r.p.m. - that's a bit rougher than I like.

So, I figure - Mr. Mechanic (carefully concealed as a software engineer) that I would adjust the idle.

Right. I should have remeberd the software engineers mantra - that's a hardware problem.

My 2.0 has the L-jet FI. The idle is adjusted by moving the clampon the trottle cable end to another location. After fooling with it, giving up - then going back out and trying again, and giving up again - it seemed like the right time to ask for advice.

The snag is that if the trottle body is allowed to closed compeletly - the engine dies. So, as the htrottle cable heats up and expands, it get's longer, the idle get slower, and eventually the vehicle idles much too slow.

Since I 'Adjusted' it, well, I have made it worse.

Any ideas how I can get this idling right?

Thanks in advance!

Marc...
Ctrout
I thought that the idle speed on an L-Jet equipped engine was adjusted by the screw on the throttle body itself. confused24.gif I could be (and probably am) wrong though.
qa1142
Check Oil fill cap. Any vacuum leak there will cause your idle to be funky.

FYI, my 1974 1.8L idle slowly goes up till it is at 1100-1200 when hot, and I still cannot figure it out either. laugh.gif
marc_hines
I forgot about the other side of the throttle body - I will look for and adjustment screw there - thanks.

Also, I found yesterday the whole oil-filler cap assembly is loose - so I know I've got that to fix.

I will pull off the air cleaner and see what else may be messed up.

Don't you just love 30 year old cars?

Marc...
Levi
QUOTE(marc_hines @ Sep 6 2004, 09:09 AM)
Also, I found yesterday the whole oil-filler cap assembly is loose - so I know I've got that to fix.

Fix the filler cap box 1st, you might find that this alone could fix you problem...
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.