Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Heater Blower Motor, Do I have an odd blower?
LotusJoe
post Feb 21 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Europa Twink Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,085
Region Association: Southern California

I'm installing the rear blower motor. Mine only as one outlet. I'm assuming this is because it had air conditioning.

Attached Image

The parts book only list one blower motor, but it has two outlets, although the parts number on my blower matches the one in the parts book. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

914 rubber shows a blower with two outlets as well, but different from the parts book??

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Feb 21 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

The early cars had a two outlet blower which Porsche/VW deemed not necessary. The went to the single blower and fed one HE.

There is a splitter that attaches to the blower in place of the plastic nozzle that will allow you to run hoses to each HE, which is your bottom image.
+Quote Post
LotusJoe
post Feb 21 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Europa Twink Driver

Member No.: 11,085
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 21 2012, 04:35 PM) *

The early cars had a two outlet blower which Porsche/VW deemed not necessary. The went to the single blower and fed one HE.

There is a splitter that attaches to the blower in place of the plastic nozzle that will allow you to run hoses to each HE, which is your bottom image.

Then obviously, it's not necessary to route air to both heat exchangers. I think I like that better...the hose running across the engine looks like an after thought and a PITA. Thanks!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 21 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

There were three stock setups for the auxiliary heater fan. The early version (70-72 IIRC) was mounted on the engine itself and the early cars do not have a mount on the chassis.

In 73 they started mounting the fans on the chassis and used a single outlet fan in 73-74 because they figured that the air coming out of the engine fan that gets directed through the heat exchanger was sufficient for passenger comfort. The fan in those years was intended to boost the defrosting of the windshield for the driver. In these cars there is a factory supplied plastic cap that covers the passenger side aux. fan pipe.

In 75-76 they added a 'splitter nozzle' to the same 73-74 fan and boosted both heat exchangers. Note that it's the same fan, so the 73-74 cars were blowing all that air out one side, and the 75-76 cars split that air in half.

Also, worth clarifying for some silent readers, that the aux fan mentioned/pictured is only for boosting the air through the heat exchangers. All cars have a fair amount of air coming from the engine fan at all times, which will supply heat through a completely stock system. Also, if you don't have a fan connected to one or either of the aux fan pipes, you should plug them. Otherwise you'll lose some of the air pressure from the engine fan.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Feb 21 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2012, 08:21 PM) *

...Also, worth clarifying for some silent readers...

One of the silent readers says, "thank you."
+Quote Post
brainf18
post Jan 29 2020, 07:57 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 23,116

dumb question but I'll ask b/c its cold outside and i want heat. The blower motor mounted on the firewall isn't coming on. but when turn on the "fan" switch I can hear a blower coming from under the dash. I assume both blower motors should activate?
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jan 29 2020, 08:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(brainf18 @ Jan 29 2020, 05:57 PM) *

dumb question but I'll ask b/c its cold outside and i want heat. The blower motor mounted on the firewall isn't coming on. but when turn on the "fan" switch I can hear a blower coming from under the dash. I assume both blower motors should activate?

There are two actuators. To turn on the rear fan, pull up on the switch/lever with the red plastic top, that is located behind the shifter.
+Quote Post
brainf18
post Jan 29 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 23,116

QUOTE(Jett @ Jan 29 2020, 09:07 PM) *

There are two actuators. To turn on the rear fan, pull up on the switch/lever with the red plastic top, that is located behind the shifter.

thx...tried that. Not working. Time to trouble shoot
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 29 2020, 08:58 PM
Post #9

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

You have to set the dash controls so the fresh air box is closed. Check the wire on the red handled lever. The lever must be fully raised to activate the fan and it also opens the Heat valves. The aux fan is only of any assistance while idling. Capping both J tubes, decent heat exchangers and a sealed ducting system will provide ample heat.
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Jan 29 2020, 08:58 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(brainf18 @ Jan 29 2020, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Jan 29 2020, 09:07 PM) *

thx...tried that. Not working. Time to trouble shoot

It’s a pretty basic switch. Usually it’s just got some corrosion and isn’t making a good ground where the handle is attached to the body of the car.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 29 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #11

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 29 2020, 06:58 PM) *
It’s a pretty basic switch. Usually it’s just got some corrosion and isn’t making a good ground where the handle is attached to the body of the car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jan 30 2020, 07:41 AM
Post #12

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 29 2020, 06:58 PM) *

You have to set the dash controls so the fresh air box is closed. Check the wire on the red handled lever. The lever must be fully raised to activate the fan and it also opens the Heat valves. The aux fan is only of any assistance while idling. Capping both J tubes, decent heat exchangers and a sealed ducting system will provide ample heat.

Rhodyguy is correct. When the heat control lever is raised the initial motion pulls the cables which gradually open the heat control flaps at the heat exchangers. When the flaps are open the last lever motion makes contact which turns on the fan in the engine bay to boost the airflow through the heat exchangers.
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Jan 30 2020, 11:58 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 107

Here's some pics of the early engine mount bracket for the blower.
It bolts onto the driver side of the engine fan housing

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 03:42 PM