Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Back from the upholsterer, Widened my Konig seats
914dave
post Feb 24 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #1

914 Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,262
Region Association: North East States

After 13 years of squeezing into my Koings it was time to widen them. I looked at STS and Vintage seats but it turned out to be cheaper to modify my seats. I won't be running the backpad so I opened them up 2 1/2 ".
Here's the original seat.
Attached Image
here's the original frame
Attached Image
The frame after widening
Attached Image
I decided on perforated synthetic suede for the centers. There is orange suede underneath that shows thru. The car is going to be Tangerine ( Brumos clone). So I wanted a little color but something that looked vintage as well. Here's the result.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
They are really comfortable now. It's snug without crushing you. Can't wait to give them a try. Guess I'd better get the car back together.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
racerbvd
post Feb 24 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914dave @ Feb 24 2012, 05:17 PM) *

After 13 years of squeezing into my Koings it was time to widen them. I looked at STS and Vintage seats but it turned out to be cheaper to modify my seats. I won't be running the backpad so I opened them up 2 1/2 ".
Here's the original seat.
Attached Image
here's the original frame
Attached Image
The frame after widening
Attached Image
I decided on perforated synthetic suede for the centers. There is orange suede underneath that shows thru. The car is going to be Tangerine ( Brumos clone). So I wanted a little color but something that looked vintage as well. Here's the result.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
They are really comfortable now. It's snug without crushing you. Can't wait to give them a try. Guess I'd better get the car back together.

What a great idea, how much did it set you back??
+Quote Post
914dave
post Feb 24 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #3

914 Addict

It ran $1200. $400 of that was the suede and the perforation. It would have been $220 cheaper if I had used houndstooth fabric. The suede wouldnt wrap around the cushion the way the original corduroy did. They are an hourly custom shop so it took a little longer with the suede. It would've taken less time with the cloth I'm really happy with the outcome.
+Quote Post
clow
post Feb 24 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #4

The Kid

Member No.: 12,151
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(914dave @ Feb 24 2012, 04:32 PM) *

It ran $1200. $400 of that was the suede and the perforation. It would have been $220 cheaper if I had used houndstooth fabric. The suede wouldnt wrap around the cushion the way the original corduroy did. They are an hourly custom shop so it took a little longer with the suede. It would've taken less time with the cloth I'm really happy with the outcome.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Wow they look good. I donno if I could justify that much though...

Still they are some nice work!

Clow
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 24 2012, 09:39 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Valy
post Feb 25 2012, 01:17 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

Very nice!
And, you got the headrest right this time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
914dave
post Feb 25 2012, 05:06 AM
Post #7

914 Addict

Thanks everyone.

" Wow they look good. I donno if I could justify that much though..."

Clow,
The two biggest improvements in drivability in a 914 IMHO are lateral supoort seats and the Rennshift. It turns out that this is just about a wash $ with the STS seats I was looking at after delivery. Plus , I had no idea how I would fit in a mail order seat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . It'll be worth every penny on my annual trip back from Maine after 11 straight hours in them. Plus, my copilot finds them much more comfortable now.

" And, you got the headrest right this time "

Valy,
Glad you noticed. Made them removable too. Found out that they were glued on incorrectly. The notches for the adjustment were opposite from each other. One side would ratchet into position and the other would float around. ( Even if you had them in backwards (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)) .Had to take of the cover ( velcro seam) , cut it off the frame and reglue it. I do have a few pics of how the headrests are held in. The only way you can get them out is to tear the seat apart
Dave
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Feb 25 2012, 08:05 AM
Post #8

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

seeing that frame - my guess is you got some wheels turning - guys are probably thinking, hell i can weld up my own seat frames, etc etc etc : )
+Quote Post
rjames
post Feb 25 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #9

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 25 2012, 06:05 AM) *

seeing that frame - my guess is you got some wheels turning - guys are probably thinking, hell i can weld up my own seat frames, etc etc etc : )

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) My first thought was 'looks easier than messing with fiberglass'.
+Quote Post
racerx9146
post Feb 25 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #10

good design never goes out of date..

Member No.: 1,483
Region Association: Northern California

Great job, you will be much happier with them. I did the something to my drivers side but a bit less extreme. I pulled the upholstery back and carefully bent each frame side out about .5 inches. I put the original upholstery Back.

This made a huge differance. I was starting to hate those seats. I am 6'3" 230lbs and these seats are tight for big people.

Daron
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:03 AM