Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back from the upholsterer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914dave
After 13 years of squeezing into my Koings it was time to widen them. I looked at STS and Vintage seats but it turned out to be cheaper to modify my seats. I won't be running the backpad so I opened them up 2 1/2 ".
Here's the original seat.
Click to view attachment
here's the original frame
Click to view attachment
The frame after widening
Click to view attachment
I decided on perforated synthetic suede for the centers. There is orange suede underneath that shows thru. The car is going to be Tangerine ( Brumos clone). So I wanted a little color but something that looked vintage as well. Here's the result.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
They are really comfortable now. It's snug without crushing you. Can't wait to give them a try. Guess I'd better get the car back together.
racerbvd
QUOTE(914dave @ Feb 24 2012, 05:17 PM) *

After 13 years of squeezing into my Koings it was time to widen them. I looked at STS and Vintage seats but it turned out to be cheaper to modify my seats. I won't be running the backpad so I opened them up 2 1/2 ".
Here's the original seat.
Click to view attachment
here's the original frame
Click to view attachment
The frame after widening
Click to view attachment
I decided on perforated synthetic suede for the centers. There is orange suede underneath that shows thru. The car is going to be Tangerine ( Brumos clone). So I wanted a little color but something that looked vintage as well. Here's the result.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
They are really comfortable now. It's snug without crushing you. Can't wait to give them a try. Guess I'd better get the car back together.

What a great idea, how much did it set you back??
914dave
It ran $1200. $400 of that was the suede and the perforation. It would have been $220 cheaper if I had used houndstooth fabric. The suede wouldnt wrap around the cushion the way the original corduroy did. They are an hourly custom shop so it took a little longer with the suede. It would've taken less time with the cloth I'm really happy with the outcome.
clow
QUOTE(914dave @ Feb 24 2012, 04:32 PM) *

It ran $1200. $400 of that was the suede and the perforation. It would have been $220 cheaper if I had used houndstooth fabric. The suede wouldnt wrap around the cushion the way the original corduroy did. They are an hourly custom shop so it took a little longer with the suede. It would've taken less time with the cloth I'm really happy with the outcome.

blink.gif Wow they look good. I donno if I could justify that much though...

Still they are some nice work!

Clow
EdwardBlume
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Valy
Very nice!
And, you got the headrest right this time wink.gif
914dave
Thanks everyone.

" Wow they look good. I donno if I could justify that much though..."

Clow,
The two biggest improvements in drivability in a 914 IMHO are lateral supoort seats and the Rennshift. It turns out that this is just about a wash $ with the STS seats I was looking at after delivery. Plus , I had no idea how I would fit in a mail order seat confused24.gif . It'll be worth every penny on my annual trip back from Maine after 11 straight hours in them. Plus, my copilot finds them much more comfortable now.

" And, you got the headrest right this time "

Valy,
Glad you noticed. Made them removable too. Found out that they were glued on incorrectly. The notches for the adjustment were opposite from each other. One side would ratchet into position and the other would float around. ( Even if you had them in backwards biggrin.gif) .Had to take of the cover ( velcro seam) , cut it off the frame and reglue it. I do have a few pics of how the headrests are held in. The only way you can get them out is to tear the seat apart
Dave
jimkelly
seeing that frame - my guess is you got some wheels turning - guys are probably thinking, hell i can weld up my own seat frames, etc etc etc : )
rjames
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 25 2012, 06:05 AM) *

seeing that frame - my guess is you got some wheels turning - guys are probably thinking, hell i can weld up my own seat frames, etc etc etc : )

agree.gif My first thought was 'looks easier than messing with fiberglass'.
racerx9146
Great job, you will be much happier with them. I did the something to my drivers side but a bit less extreme. I pulled the upholstery back and carefully bent each frame side out about .5 inches. I put the original upholstery Back.

This made a huge differance. I was starting to hate those seats. I am 6'3" 230lbs and these seats are tight for big people.

Daron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.