Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxster Calipers, got them installed today!
wndsrfr
post Nov 2 2019, 08:03 AM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Feb 27 2012, 08:22 AM) *

Lookin' way good!!!!!!

I have Carrera calipers too. A Wilwood conversion is a little more complicated since a 90 degree adapter isn't in the cards. Since I have a couple of those left over after replacing my fronts with differential billets, I think I'll stick with them... dangit. I already have the SC and Carrera rotors but figured the SC hats weighed a little less. I know... splitting hairs.

Nice work!

Don't give up on the Wilwoods... do a search on my user name and Wilwood... actually easy to make the spacers...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Jun 10 2020, 09:27 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 14,943

I've got the same setup with Boxster calipers and 19mm master. Thoroughly pressure bled the system twice and still getting soft pedal. Yes, I first bled the master and both valves on each caliper. And all bleed valves are up. And using that Ate high temp fluid.

One thing bothered me... when I opened the switch on the master, nothing came out. Is that normal? It's been a few years, but I'd swear that fluid bleeds there on 911 masters.
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jun 10 2020, 09:42 AM
Post #83

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

Contributing to this thread revival...

I have Early ‘S’ Calipers rebuilt by PMB and never used, and am toying with switching to Boxster or larger brakes for the look, as I understand from Eric that the ‘stopping power’ will be equal.

I’m wondering, can I just purchase the adaptor and caliper and swap these?

+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jun 10 2020, 11:18 AM
Post #84

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478

Sorry for the multiple-post, photos for reference. Heads up, these may be in the classifieds soon (shameless plug)....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Jun 10 2020, 02:38 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 21,596

I mounted Boxter front calipers, with the "u" brake fluid tube swopped position (causes the correct pistons leading), and 911 Carrera rotors in front. Left the refurbished 914 brakes on the back (PMB), with a refurbished proportioning valve (PMB). Kept a good order 19mm Master Cylinder and SS braded brake lines all previously installed. All of this on my converted 914-6 (2.7 L). This setup feels perfect under all serious breaking challenges.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
vfe95
post Jan 25 2023, 03:20 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 25,817
Region Association: None

Hi there,
On the way to build a 914GT, 5lugs and 911 e-brake mod ready on the rear but concerning Boxster calipers evo, I can't find nowdays adapters to match SC rotors (20mm) with these calipers (S or notS) like RJ did. => Anyone has a link to a solution in 2023 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (only found adapters for boxster rotors with offset not compatible of e-brake mod...)

Furthermore, I have 996.352.421/422 calipers and not 986.352.xxx ones, like others folks here; the question about the technical difference and compatibility was raised on that thread ... but not answered; any tip ?

Thanks for your help
Vincent, France
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2023, 03:41 PM
Post #87

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

The Boxster brake setup is early (non S) calipers and 24mm Carrera rotors.
+Quote Post
vfe95
post Jan 25 2023, 03:53 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 25,817
Region Association: None

Thanks for fast reply mepstein. It's for rear. A link to such adapter ? can't see on 914-6Werkshop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)) Little bit confused: boxster 996.352.42X rear calipers in my hands (so S type?) have pins that allow only 20mm rotors...
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 25 2023, 04:51 PM
Post #89

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(vfe95 @ Jan 25 2023, 01:53 PM) *

Thanks for fast reply mepstein. It's for rear. A link to such adapter ? can't see on 914-6Werkshop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)) Little bit confused: boxster 996.352.42X rear calipers in my hands (so S type?) have pins that allow only 20mm rotors...

From my first post in this thread:

Well, i have 24mm Carrera rear rotors. The Boxster Calipers had to be machined (2mm off each of the brake pad pins) and the adapters had to be milled to center the Boxster Calipers over the wider rotors.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
davenorcal
post Apr 18 2023, 11:24 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 25,605

My caliper pins are rubbing on my rotor and I hope to get some advice from this group. The car is a ‘70 914/6 (factory) that was restored as a GT tribute about 15 years ago.

It is running 1st gen Boxster calipers (986-351-421) on a 911 strut (911-341-041) with a misaligned rotor, The rotor is unknown, but is 24mm thick, 11” diameter and is not centered in the caliper. It looks like I might have the wrong rotor on this set up. The questions at this point are:
1. where is this strut from
2. is the Boxster caliper an okay fit (seems spot on from what I’ve read).
3. What rotor should I be running; and
4. what modification are needed to fix the misalignment? The Caliper needs to move .06” (1.5 mm) outward so the rotor will be centered between the pins. I can’t see how one could shim the calipers in the correct direction.

Pictures to follow…

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
davenorcal
post Apr 18 2023, 11:27 PM
Post #91

The picture above is a view of the outer side. The next picture is of the inside of the rotor. You will notice the pin is riding on the outside surface of the rotor and pics of the inside of the caliper shows the pin about 3mm away from the face of the rotor.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 19 2023, 12:19 AM
Post #92

Resident German

@davenorcal

First, i failed to read Rich's instructions that clearly state that you have to use a 20mm 911 SC rear rotor.

Well, i have 24mm Carrera rear rotors. The Boxster Calipers had to be machined (2mm off each of the brake pad pins) and the adapters had to be milled to center the Boxster Calipers over the wider rotors.

Post #4 and #5 in this thread show the milled down adapters to allow the calipers to be centered over the 24mm rotors.

+Quote Post
davenorcal
post Apr 20 2023, 12:30 AM
Post #93

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 18 2023, 11:19 PM) *

@davenorcal

First, i failed to read Rich's instructions that clearly state that you have to use a 20mm 911 SC rear rotor.

Post #4 and #5 in this thread show the milled down adapters to allow the calipers to be centered over the 24mm rotors.

@sirandy - Thank you. I read that and I could not visualize how inserting an adapter solved my problem. It looked to me I needed to shave 1.5mm off the face of the caliper where it seats to the flange of the strut for the caliper to go in the needed direction. Clearly, I’m missing something.

Please send pics of the back side so I might see the configuration, if possible. Thanks again!

Also, after re-reading the string I figured I’d reach out to @a914guy to get the lowdown on his adapters. Once I see the adapter in place it might sink into my thick skull. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 20 2023, 09:29 AM
Post #94

Resident German

QUOTE(davenorcal @ Apr 19 2023, 11:30 PM) *

@sirandy - Thank you. I read that and I could not visualize how inserting an adapter solved my problem. It looked to me I needed to shave 1.5mm off the face of the caliper where it seats to the flange of the strut for the caliper to go in the needed direction. Clearly, I’m missing something.

Please send pics of the back side so I might see the configuration, if possible. Thanks again!

Also, after re-reading the string I figured I’d reach out to @a914guy to get the lowdown on his adapters. Once I see the adapter in place it might sink into my thick skull. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

@davenorcal
You already have the adapters mounted to your calipers. I can clearly see them in your pictures.
I milled down the adapters so the calipers end up centered on the 24mm rotors.

And as mentioned, i also shaved down the pins.

PS: Yours don't appear to be the Rich's adapters, unless he has a new design. But it can't hurt to contact him anyways.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 20 2023, 11:27 AM
Post #95

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 20 2023, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(davenorcal @ Apr 19 2023, 11:30 PM) *

@davenorcal
You already have the adapters mounted to your calipers. I can clearly see them in your pictures.
I milled down the adapters so the calipers end up centered on the 24mm rotors.

And as mentioned, i also shaved down the pins.

PS: Yours don't appear to be the Rich's adapters, unless he has a new design. But it can't hurt to contact him anyways.

Hi Guys,

I happen to have a set of Boxster NON S calipers rebuilt by Rick several years ago with his adapters set to go on my 85 carrera front end with Elephant Polly Bronz.

Just so you guys can see what these boys look like.

Best Bob B

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
davenorcal
post Apr 20 2023, 09:42 PM
Post #96

@sirandy - Dang, you are so right. I took pics of the back side so everyone can see them from another angle and see the left adapter is stamped “RTB 911F-MBC”. Thanks for hanging in there with me on this!

@Burton73 - thanks for your pics…helpful.

Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 21 2023, 11:24 AM
Post #97

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

One of the other things about running Boxster calipers on the rear is that you have to grind off the bottom edge of the inboard pad. Otherwise they hit the adapter and won't go in far enough to put in the pins.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 21 2023, 11:39 AM
Post #98

Resident German

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 21 2023, 10:24 AM) *

One of the other things about running Boxster calipers on the rear is that you have to grind off the bottom edge of the inboard pad. Otherwise they hit the adapter and won't go in far enough to put in the pins.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'm showing that in post #7:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1634381
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 10:30 PM