Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Contemplating building a 4-speed transmission
gms
post Mar 1 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am contemplating building a 4-speed transmission for the track that I race on most frequently. I know this sounds crazy but I feel I have good reason to do so. Currently once up to speed I only use 3rd and 4th gears (on a 5-speed) which is a diagonal cross plane shift. With a 4-speed I would just shift between 3rd and 4th gear using an S-(25:26)-3rd gear and a Y-(28:23)-4th Gear, this would be an easier straight shift between gears. The largest hurdle is filling in first 1st and 2nd second gears, I have an input shaft with a fixed A-(11:34) but then second gear gets into the unobtainium gear ratios.

I would like to find a B-(14:37) or C-(15:36) 1st gear fixed on the input shaft and then using an M-(22:29) 2nd gear would be feasible. Only problem is that I don’t even know if they ever made a B or C gear on the input shaft. Looking at the list of gear boxes I see that they made several 912 boxes with an E-(17:34) 2nd gear, that would probably work too. The F-(18:34) would just be too easy to stall the engine.
I am open to other suggestions except for an input shaft with welded on gear.

If you are not familiar with the 4-speed it is the same as the 5-speed with out installing a first gear. So every gear on a 4-speed is one gear lower when compare to a 5-speed.
Example:
4-speed 1st gear is in 5-speed’s 2nd gear position
And so on…
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:40 AM