Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contemplating building a 4-speed transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gms
I am contemplating building a 4-speed transmission for the track that I race on most frequently. I know this sounds crazy but I feel I have good reason to do so. Currently once up to speed I only use 3rd and 4th gears (on a 5-speed) which is a diagonal cross plane shift. With a 4-speed I would just shift between 3rd and 4th gear using an S-(25:26)-3rd gear and a Y-(28:23)-4th Gear, this would be an easier straight shift between gears. The largest hurdle is filling in first 1st and 2nd second gears, I have an input shaft with a fixed A-(11:34) but then second gear gets into the unobtainium gear ratios.

I would like to find a B-(14:37) or C-(15:36) 1st gear fixed on the input shaft and then using an M-(22:29) 2nd gear would be feasible. Only problem is that I don’t even know if they ever made a B or C gear on the input shaft. Looking at the list of gear boxes I see that they made several 912 boxes with an E-(17:34) 2nd gear, that would probably work too. The F-(18:34) would just be too easy to stall the engine.
I am open to other suggestions except for an input shaft with welded on gear.

If you are not familiar with the 4-speed it is the same as the 5-speed with out installing a first gear. So every gear on a 4-speed is one gear lower when compare to a 5-speed.
Example:
4-speed 1st gear is in 5-speed’s 2nd gear position
And so on…
Dr Evil
Probably Brad and I can help. I have a Y gear and an A shaft.
gms
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 1 2012, 04:58 PM) *

Thanks but I already have the Y and A shaft
Are the E shafts easy to come by?
gms
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 1 2012, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 1 2012, 04:58 PM) *

Thanks but I already have the Y and A shaft
Are the E shafts easy to come by?

It looks like a B or C shaft might not even exist...have you ever seen one?
Dr Evil
No B, C shafts stock. The E shaft is rare = $1200 probably. Gonna have to call Carquip and lube up your ass for the payment blink.gif
gms
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 1 2012, 05:14 PM) *

No B, C shafts stock. The E shaft is rare = $1200 probably. Gonna have to call Carquip and lube up your ass for the payment blink.gif

Looks like I am going with the A, thanks for your input Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.