Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Venting the Targa Top
john rogers
post Sep 15 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 391

Has anyone tried using a spacer under the rear of the Targa top, say about an inch or two to make a vent? Since my top has to be and is bolted down in the rear I thought this might help break the vacuum that forms behind the rear window? I have seen a couple with plexiglass/lexan rear windows with several holes across the width which would do the same thing I think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 15 2004, 12:29 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

No track miles on mine yet, but I did it.
Mine is a vintage car also, and will have a roof.

I Dzus fasten my roof on to the roll cage, so I just made the mounts on the cage tall enough to give it the 1.5 (or so) inch of clearance in the back...

I'm doing holes in the rear window too... but only on the passenger side. I get nervous about pulling or cutting the rear window in half since I suspect the most likely fire location will be on top of the carbs, right behind my head.

brant
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 15 2004, 12:35 PM
Post #3

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

The only "fer sure" solution I've seen was an airfoil section (cruved about 90 deg) bolted to the roof , directing the air down to the grill. The guy that had it said it dropped the engine (4 banger) temps 20 deg at track days......the high drag solution (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Is rear glass required by your sanctioning body? If not...
then you could *really* hear them Webers sing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 15 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

JP,

I won't speak for John and his reasons for the mod..

but my reasoning was to reduce drag, and really had nothing to do with forcing air into the intakes....

I'm running no windows and no front triangle window, so there is some amount of air forced into the cabin that I wanted to let out.

The big/serious cars are 1/2 deleting or fully deleting the rear window like you suggest... again to reduce the drag.
My only fear is that I've seen a few fires and they almost always start on top of the carbs (fittings coming loose, etc.) A friend of mine's 911 had one of these fires just last summer.... I was there watching it and it was an awfully big ball of flame. Her engine lid was closed and it was still an awfully big ball of flame. Took the paint off of both rear fenders...

It was put out in 3 seconds or so and the car was driveable, but I was surprised at how much damage to the paint had occured in 3 seconds.... Got me to thinking that I might want something (even if it was just a piece of lexan) between my head and a fire like that...

I think the scoop Idea is a good solution for intake air, but at the cost of creating drag.... I just wanted to reduce drag.

brant
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Sep 15 2004, 02:18 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the input. The reason is just to break the vacuum behind the window. I was the one that JP probably was thinking of with the curved air deflector as my stroker four ran a tad warm. The 2L six on the other hand runs really cool. At the race in Tecate, with 95 degree air temps the oil got to 200 max. I did notice that when I blew the four last year at the CA Speedway at full speed, the cockpit filled with oil smoke immediately (really hard to see) and I imagine a fire would do the same. I somehow think this is related to the low pressure area we have and if it could be eliminated it would be nice. As Brant does, I plan to keep the windshield and roof and cut it off to make a roadster.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 15 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #6

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I can't think of a way to eliminate the low pressure area short of turning the thing into a roadster. Any type of ducting or airfoil is only a partial solution, me thinks.

John:

The guy with the air foil was a local guy....great minds & all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The cooling he got was what he was after and served to indicate that he also got more air back to the lid.... but prolly not to the rear window. As to smoke filling the pilot house.....It seems most all racin' cars fill that spot first when sumthin' goes bang....even open cockpit cars. Some kinda Darwin thing maybe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Sep 15 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

How about a Gurney flap at the end of the roof?
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Sep 15 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #8

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

I saw this at Ventura

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 15 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,763

I saw a device on "This old house" you might be interested in. It's made to drill holes in wood at a 45' angle, so you can use screws to do butt corner joints. I don't remember what it's called, but it gives you a constant repeatable angled hole. Drill the hell out of your roof. It will still give you shade. And with the holes angled toward the back of the car, the air flow over the top of the roof will draw air from the cockpit. I have no idea how much unwanted upforce it would generate. Just a thought.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Sep 15 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You might be on to something there. Anyone have a good book on vehicle aerodynamics. I know there was an aero discussion on the bird-board's 911 bbs...maybe post there?
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Sep 15 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #11

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1095296159.jpg)
now that looks like a good idea (this version is quite ugly) if it went all the way across and somehow blended into the roof better (more subtle) why would you use something straight on a convex surface?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) i have an extra targa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Sep 15 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #12

retired

Member No.: 313

"New Directions in Race Car Aerodynamics" Auth: Joseph Katz

Check Amazon
+Quote Post
maf914
post Sep 16 2004, 07:32 AM
Post #13

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Sep 15 2004, 03:58 PM)

Gurney flap, spoiler...all the same thing. It will generate a little downforce over the surface of the roof and add a bit more drag to the car.
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 16 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #14

914 Wizard

QUOTE(bob91403 @ Sep 15 2004, 06:36 PM)
I saw a device on "This old house" you might be interested in. It's made to drill holes in wood at a 45' angle, so you can use screws to do butt corner joints. I don't remember what it's called, but it gives you a constant repeatable angled hole. Drill the hell out of your roof. It will still give you shade. And with the holes angled toward the back of the car, the air flow over the top of the roof will draw air from the cockpit. I have no idea how much unwanted upforce it would generate. Just a thought.

I wonder how much turbulence that would create...

but most of the vintage orgs, wouldn't allow it anyways as the Look of the car and all exterior panels has to remain fairly stock...

In colorado they are so anal about the Look of the car that they only allow so many square inches of stickers on the surface of the car. (basically they argue that in 196x... there was no advertising)

brant
+Quote Post
maf914
post Sep 16 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #15

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE(bob91403 @ Sep 15 2004, 05:36 PM)

For some reason I don't think there is going to be much difference in a hole drilled at a 45 degree angle and one drilled at a 90 degree angle when we're talking about a 1/16 inch thick roof panel. About the ony difference will be that one hole is oblong and one is round!

I think that you would relieve cockpit pressure with almost any type of hole in the roof. The air flowing over the windshield and roof is moving quite fast, which creates a low pressure area (the old Bernoulli equation). Ever notice when driving with the top off how much more air is drawn through the fresh air or heater vents?
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Sep 16 2004, 08:53 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,533

How about a vortex generator on the roof? Its a series of vertical wings, or triangular ramps that are higher at the back. These create miniature disturbances that cause airflow to stay closer to a surface, especially if there is a big notch in the back, like a sedan.

See page 3 of the PDF
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate...2004/16E_03.pdf

The picture is an aircraft VG
http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/182564-1.html

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Sep 16 2004, 08:58 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

I guess I misread or misunderstood the original post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Are you running without side windows?
Close them... problem solved
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 16 2004, 09:29 AM
Post #18

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

some orgs make you run with windows down
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Sep 16 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #19

As Seanery noted, I have to have both windows open. I think most organizations in the US require that they be fully down.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Sep 16 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Here is a picture of the Mitsubishi Evo MR's vortex generators:
(IMG:http://www.lancershop.com/vortex%20diffuser_50.jpg)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:59 AM