Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Sasquatch Re Build Thread, Part 2 New Rotary then, new trans, all german turbo
falconfp2001
post Mar 23 2012, 01:13 AM
Post #21

Pancho Pantera

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,456
Region Association: Southwest Region

I read both your threads tonight and I'm now a big fan. Back in 1984, My second car that I bought was a 1974 rx-4 coupe. That thing was wicked fast stock. I ended up installing dual exhaust headers, hi flow mufflers and I re-jetted the stock four barrel. I had a very good Mazda mechanic tune it then cut the front springs and install Koni's all around. The rear was a leaf suspension so I installed stiffening bars. Back then, I would blow away stock Porsche's no problem. It had a stock 4 port 13B with stock 4 barrel that I re-jetted. I would scare people with how fast I drove that car.

Later (1987) I bought a second generation rx-7. I never changed a thing on that car and it was fast. Handled like a dream around corners. Just had my mechanic tune it and that was all.

In 1994 I purchased a 1974 Mazda Rotary Pickup. Rebuilt the 13B, re-jetted the stock 4 barrel and installed a rx-7 5 speed tranny, Racing Beat intake and Dellorto side draft carb. Also put on a Racing Beat Exhaust headers and dual exhaust to the rear with nice mufflers. Had 8 inch front wheels and 11 inch rears. I also found a LS differential for it. Fastest car I ever owned. I could chirp the tires in second gear and redline in second was past 60. Never really found out the top speed of that car but it was quick and so much lighter than the others.

I so wish I could find another truck or Rx-2, rx-3 for a good price but they are really expensive now. Always wanted to turbo one just to see the potential as I've been a big fan of those engines. The only negative is the MPG. They suck down that gas if you have a heavy foot.

I'll be watching with interest.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Mar 23 2012, 03:32 PM
Post #22

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Great news Mike!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
WCR is a long shot for me because work has me on for Saturday in Point Reyes.
The 914 gas tank I bought from you has performed flawlessly
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 23 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #23

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Thanks guys!

I got all the misc pieces and AN fittings to build my fuel rail. Started mocking up my aluminum hard line while the engine/tranny are still in place. I will drop the engine this weekend and assemble everything. Maybe... It will run by Sunday... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 25 2012, 09:27 AM
Post #24

Resident Electrician

Minor set back. As described before, Mazda has 10 different versions of the same part. My old intake manifold will not match up correctly. I'm now sourcing new intake manifolds and TB for a Turbo II rx7. Otherwise I have to take both engines apart and combine parts. Time to get everything together except the missing parts and put back in the car.

I may be bringing parts to install at WCR to get this thing going. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Mar 25 2012, 02:25 PM
Post #25

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Sounds like its time to use some vacation days (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 25 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #26

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Mar 25 2012, 12:25 PM) *

Sounds like its time to use some vacation days (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No, I'm using those for WCR. I will be there with or without a running 914. Either way, the car will be trailered.

Going for a semi custom intake setup. I bought a series 5 lower intake manifold and a series 6 upper. This is a common swap/upgrade for the Rx7 crowd. Picked up a new TB also. Just need them to ship and arrive.

In the mean time I fixed an alignment problem with my alternator pully. Got the lower half of my of my oil metering pump linkage. It is a combination of a Lokar and Spectre throttle cable parts. Turbo is back on the manifold and mounted on the engine. I have a T3 to T4 adapter that always came loose. So, I installed it and tack welded the bolts. The turbo bolts have lock washers and are easy to re-tighten on the motor.

We'll see when completed if this "cheap" engine is actually cheaper than rebuilding.

The future good new is... The intake housings on my blown motor and the exhaust housings of my new motor are the "better" parts to have when rebuilding. The intake ports of my old motor are much larger than my new one. The same goes for the exhaust but reversed...

At some point the car will come apart, get blasted, fix all the PO's goober welding and get painted. At that time I may rebuild the engines into one monster HP machine.

Until then, I will be happy just to get it running. I assume the EFI tune will need some tweeking too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Looks like the lap top may come to WCR as well.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 27 2012, 09:49 PM
Post #27

Resident Electrician

Engine ready to go back in...

Attached Image

You can see the start of the primary fuel rail. I decided to use part of an existing rail. 12mm to -6AN fitting and aluminum hard line. Regulator will mount at the end of the hard line.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 31 2012, 11:18 PM
Post #28

Resident Electrician

Got the motor/tranny in. Exhaust on. I had to clearence the turbo down pipe a little to clear the new manifold. Radiator return line replaced; Got damaged while loading onto trailer. Got the lower water pump line macked up to the radiator return line. The upper line remained unchanged.

Now I have to figure put if I'm needing any other little things to get this going. More assembly and pics tomorrow.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 1 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #29

Resident Electrician

I got everything under the car assembled today. Ready to take the car off jack stands. The rest of the work is from above. I may need to adjust the shift cables before I can drive it. Now I can focus on the intake and fuel.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Apr 2 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #30

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Lookin' good. You might be able to drive down to Monterey.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 7 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #31

Resident Electrician

Got the fuel system done today. Fired up the pump, fixed a drip and viola...

Cold air box is back in. Lower intake manifold bolted on. All the linkage for the TB and oil pump done. I made a custom bracket for the two cables and modified the TB linkage to pull the oil pump lever when the TB opens. Seems to work great.

I'm waiting on some vacuum hose before I can finish bolting all the intake parts in place. Going to fill all the fluids tomorrow.

I should be running and tuning by next weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
strawman
post Apr 8 2012, 12:53 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

Congrats Mike! Glad to see you're making progress, and I can't wait to see the car at WCR2012.

Geoff
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Apr 8 2012, 01:34 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 7 2012, 10:45 PM) *

Got the fuel system done today. Fired up the pump, fixed a drip and viola...

Cold air box is back in. Lower intake manifold bolted on. All the linkage for the TB and oil pump done. I made a custom bracket for the two cables and modified the TB linkage to pull the oil pump lever when the TB opens. Seems to work great.

I'm waiting on some vacuum hose before I can finish bolting all the intake parts in place. Going to fill all the fluids tomorrow.

I should be running and tuning by next weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

great job dude....if I wan't shooting a web TV show about my Rotary 914 ...I would of been on the road by know...I will be checking up on your ride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 8 2012, 08:34 AM
Post #34

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(oldschool @ Apr 8 2012, 12:34 AM) *

great job dude....if I wan't shooting a web TV show about my Rotary 914 ...I would of been on the road by know...I will be checking up on your ride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I want to see your build video. Where is Lucky & Racing? I think you need a build thread here with teaser photos to promote your TV show. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 8 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #35

Resident Electrician

The new upper intake mocked into place. The new TB has a water connection for cold start. Hopefully, it warms up better, although it worked fine before without it. I am waiting for the TB snorkel to connect to the intercooler. Even without it, I can get it running and tuned without boost.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The oil filler tube needed modification. It hit the new TB. I have a plan to make it work but i'm waiting untill the final bolt down of the manifold.

Attached Image

I had to replace the hose on the right. I got damaged while loading the car on the trailer. I changed the transition piece from threaded steel pipe to thick wall copper. I found 1.25" radius elbows. one 90* and one 45* with a T in the middle for the heater connection. This will connect the radiator return line into the water pump inlet. I'm not a big fan of copper but this seemed like a reasonable compromise and it flows better than the threaded piping. This is the only copper in the system.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 8 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #36

Resident Electrician

Got the Terrycable clutch cable in and the throttle cable finished up. The pedal area gave me a hard time with the accelerator connection. The custom cable end has a set screw for the ball with a cotter pin. Set it and forget it. Setting it was a PITA. But, it will never pop off! Ever! No pics so you just have to imagine my fat ass under the dash. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Didn't have as time today due to the holliday.

Here's a better pic of the copper transition piece I made. The T is brass with a threaded bung. The 1/2 nipple goes to the heater in the fresh air box.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Apr 8 2012, 09:57 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 8 2012, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Apr 8 2012, 12:34 AM) *

I want to see your build video. Where is Lucky & Racing? I think you need a build thread here with teaser photos to promote your TV show. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
In Daurte Ca....yeah
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 13 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #38

Resident Electrician

Engine is back together!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Tomorrow:
Add fluids (water, oil, gear oil, intercooler coolant)
Bleed H2O system
nut and bolt everything
recheck clearance on moving parts
adjust clutch
adjust shift linkage
adjust muffler level to ground
connect ECU, program for larger injectors
crank to prime oil system
install spark plugs
fire up
check for leaks

DRIVE!!!
adjust fuel and spark to new engine configuration
DRIVE!!!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Old manifold for reference...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 13 2012, 11:05 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) Hope the drive goes great
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 14 2012, 06:31 AM
Post #40

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Cool! I hope to see you cruising around town Mike. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:39 AM