Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official Sasquatch Re Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mike Bellis
I started a new thread for the re build of the Turbo wankel project.

Here is a link to the begining.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=113156

With a little help from my Brother and Son, we got the car into the garage and I tore the engine out. It took a little over an hour to pull.

Click to view attachment

The turbo looks ok. It's a little dirty but I can't see any knicks in any blades. Shaft play is minimal and it spins wirh air without drag or noise. I will have to take it apart to find any further signs of damage.

Click to view attachment

As expected, I blew the apex seal of rotor 2. The white specks in the picture is where the seal should be. There is very fine grit in the exhaust port. Rotor 1 looks fine. Time for a rebuild or JDM crap motor. I will have to look at my budget, A rebuild is 2-3 times the cost of a JDM motor. Either way, all the components will bolt on. There is a chance if I go JDM, that I will have to modify the engine brace for different motor mounts.

Click to view attachment

Here's some pics of the package...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Aaaand subscribed smile.gif
Mike Bellis
It will be a miracle if I get it going by WCR. Butt I'll try!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Progress!

I found an out of work guy that just totaled his Rx7, 2000 miles after he rebuilt it. His Loss, my gain. shades.gif

Click to view attachment

The motor mounts are different, so some fab time this weekend will ge it fitted. Most every thing else will bolt right on without massaging. I need to find a 54mm socket so I can swap the flywheel and counterweight. I may have it running by the end of the weekend. aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

The motor has a mild port and was assembled with early (better) rotor housings. Note the early NSU Wankel License. I also swapped the crank angle sensor since the plug matches my EFI and I know it works. I do need to slightly grind down a tab on the old water pump housing to clear on this engine.

Click to view attachment

The main difference on this engine is the oil injection pump. The old one was an electronically controlled stepper motor. The new one works via a cable connected to the throttle body. My TB has a connection point for cruise control, so I will fab up a custom bike cable to operate it. Should be simple in theory idea.gif

Look like I will have a running 914 for WCR 2012!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Rand
I'm stoked for you. I've been anxiously anticipating you getting this beast back on the road. Can't wait to hear more.
beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Wooot!!
matthepcat
Congrats Mike. Good Karma kickin in for all the help you have provided other folks on the board.
Lennies914
Great news Mike.

Are you saying that the apex seal passed through the turbo without causing any damage?

If so, not as bad as you anticipated.

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Mar 13 2012, 03:41 PM) *

Great news Mike.

Are you saying that the apex seal passed through the turbo without causing any damage?

If so, not as bad as you anticipated.

It looks like the carbon apex seals exploded into dusty grit.

Anyway, got the adapter,flywheel,clutch on the new motor. Mounted the freshly sealed and painted tranny. Yes, painted... So what... biggrin.gif I plan to get it dry fitted into the car and look at the cross bar mods. I hope to keep both engine mounts on the same cross bar. Looks like it will work and will allow the reuse of the blown motor once it gets rebuilt.

Ordered some gaskets and still need a new banjo fitting. I love progress!
Jeffs9146
Wow you got motivation!

It looks like you and Lennies914 might pull this off and be driving again soon!

Lennie drove his car to my house today so he can convert his garage back into a spray booth!!! All that is left is the hoods, door and engine cover!

It is nice to have two nice teeners in the garage again!
Mike Bellis
Here is the engine mated to the tranny... I only had to pull off the upper intake manifold to remove the engine. And, that was only due to the lack of a proper lift. All accessories will bolt on before reinstallation.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here you can just see the tab on the black water pump housing I had to grind for clearance. The later oil pump cover has a divot to clear this tab. This is a common mod when using this setup. The main advantage is the mechanical control of the oil meetering pump. The electronic control I was using is a POS. The guy that sells it is too hard to get hold of in Austrailia. So the simple cable setup will work every time.

Click to view attachment
Lennies914
Was it the controller you are unhappy with, or the stepper motor itself? I have some good quality stepper motors if you need one.
strawman
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 12 2012, 07:31 PM) *

The main difference on this engine is the oil injection pump. The old one was an electronically controlled stepper motor. The new one works via a cable connected to the throttle body. My TB has a connection point for cruise control, so I will fab up a custom bike cable to operate it. Should be simple in theory idea.gif

Why not just pre-mix like a two-stroke engine? That way you know you're getting lubrication no matter what. Or would that gum up the spark plugs?

Either way, I'm subscribed!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(strawman @ Mar 13 2012, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 12 2012, 07:31 PM) *

Why not just pre-mix like a two-stroke engine? That way you know you're getting lubrication no matter what. Or would that gum up the spark plugs?

Either way, I'm subscribed!

The problem with premix is when you forget to mix. Also, at low rpm you get too much oil. At idle, they tend to smoke too much. Eventually, I will draw injection oil from a seporate tank. This will allow the use of "smokeless" 2 stroke oil and not engine oil. I will premix a little unilt I'm satified the system works correctly.

Just ordered remaining parts from Summit. I think I have everything I need to get it running this weekend. It all depends on what needs to be re-engineered first.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Mar 13 2012, 08:03 PM) *

Was it the controller you are unhappy with, or the stepper motor itself? I have some good quality stepper motors if you need one.

The controller never worked correctly. It was either wide open or closed. I could not get any customer support from the guy that makes them 10 at a time.
Mike Bellis
Well the engine will be in this weekend but it wont be running. The primaty fuel rail will not work. Time for a custom fuel rail. I have the rail stock (3 feet), but drilling and tapping is a PITA on aluminum. I might send the tapping out to a maching shop. That will prevent me from having to build the rail multiple times. dry.gif This fiasco will allow me to finally install my 1000cc primary injectors. right now I'm still running the stock 550cc primary with my 2000cc secondary injectors. This will require some fine EFI tuning but nothing too bad.

Here is the fuel map. The primary injectors function like a normal injector up to 1.7psi. At that point, they maintain a steady pulse width up to 30psi. At 1.7psi, the secondary injectors start to pulse and increase pulse width with pressure and rpm. This is normal for a rotary to use this injection staggering. I will reduce the pulse width below 1.7psi by 40-60% across the map to start tuning.

Click to view attachment

Here is the map in 3D...

Click to view attachment

The original engine I have is from a JDM car called a Enus Cosmo. This engine has a better plenumn and intake for torque than a standard Rx7. The new engine is from a USDM 89 Rx7. I have noticed that Mazda made these engines with 10 different versions of every part. maybe that is why they are so expensive. No consistency= $$$$ tooling costs.

Bottom line... It will fit with little mods. So far just a new fuel rail and rework the motor mount locations. I will be able to add braketry to the existing engine bar to accept these engine mounts with little effort. And the old mounts will remain for the other engine if needed. Compared to all the fab I've done, this seems minor.

I will drill and tap the plenumn to accept 2 meth injectors. Not sure if I'll have the meth working by WCR. Have to watch my car budget. But It will be set up for it and I'll add components as funds allow. If the meth is not functional, I will dial down the boost for a while. I will still have a 400% hp increase over stock... evilgrin.gif
JRust
Nice Mike. Glad to see you flying on your car again. Lookin good my friend beer.gif
Mike Bellis
Got the engine and tranny mocked up. I use aircraft stripper on the bar. Found some 1/4" stock and 5/8" DOM to fab the mounts. The original mounting point on the passenger side had to be trimmed to fit around the new one. Got it all welded up and it fits both engines. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

From the rear you can see how asymetrical the new mounts are. I think in the Rx7 this is done on the passenger side for turbo clearance.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Anyone can fab up a cross bar since the transmission locates the assembly. I hope this inspires some new unusual conversions.

Rotors are rusty from sitting for almost a year... sad.gif

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Glamour shots...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wingnut86
That might be the 1st RUST I've seen on a Cali car... happy11.gif
falconfp2001
I read both your threads tonight and I'm now a big fan. Back in 1984, My second car that I bought was a 1974 rx-4 coupe. That thing was wicked fast stock. I ended up installing dual exhaust headers, hi flow mufflers and I re-jetted the stock four barrel. I had a very good Mazda mechanic tune it then cut the front springs and install Koni's all around. The rear was a leaf suspension so I installed stiffening bars. Back then, I would blow away stock Porsche's no problem. It had a stock 4 port 13B with stock 4 barrel that I re-jetted. I would scare people with how fast I drove that car.

Later (1987) I bought a second generation rx-7. I never changed a thing on that car and it was fast. Handled like a dream around corners. Just had my mechanic tune it and that was all.

In 1994 I purchased a 1974 Mazda Rotary Pickup. Rebuilt the 13B, re-jetted the stock 4 barrel and installed a rx-7 5 speed tranny, Racing Beat intake and Dellorto side draft carb. Also put on a Racing Beat Exhaust headers and dual exhaust to the rear with nice mufflers. Had 8 inch front wheels and 11 inch rears. I also found a LS differential for it. Fastest car I ever owned. I could chirp the tires in second gear and redline in second was past 60. Never really found out the top speed of that car but it was quick and so much lighter than the others.

I so wish I could find another truck or Rx-2, rx-3 for a good price but they are really expensive now. Always wanted to turbo one just to see the potential as I've been a big fan of those engines. The only negative is the MPG. They suck down that gas if you have a heavy foot.

I'll be watching with interest.
Chris Pincetich
Great news Mike!
beerchug.gif
WCR is a long shot for me because work has me on for Saturday in Point Reyes.
The 914 gas tank I bought from you has performed flawlessly
beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
Thanks guys!

I got all the misc pieces and AN fittings to build my fuel rail. Started mocking up my aluminum hard line while the engine/tranny are still in place. I will drop the engine this weekend and assemble everything. Maybe... It will run by Sunday... smile.gif
Mike Bellis
Minor set back. As described before, Mazda has 10 different versions of the same part. My old intake manifold will not match up correctly. I'm now sourcing new intake manifolds and TB for a Turbo II rx7. Otherwise I have to take both engines apart and combine parts. Time to get everything together except the missing parts and put back in the car.

I may be bringing parts to install at WCR to get this thing going. sad.gif
matthepcat
Sounds like its time to use some vacation days smile.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Mar 25 2012, 12:25 PM) *

Sounds like its time to use some vacation days smile.gif

No, I'm using those for WCR. I will be there with or without a running 914. Either way, the car will be trailered.

Going for a semi custom intake setup. I bought a series 5 lower intake manifold and a series 6 upper. This is a common swap/upgrade for the Rx7 crowd. Picked up a new TB also. Just need them to ship and arrive.

In the mean time I fixed an alignment problem with my alternator pully. Got the lower half of my of my oil metering pump linkage. It is a combination of a Lokar and Spectre throttle cable parts. Turbo is back on the manifold and mounted on the engine. I have a T3 to T4 adapter that always came loose. So, I installed it and tack welded the bolts. The turbo bolts have lock washers and are easy to re-tighten on the motor.

We'll see when completed if this "cheap" engine is actually cheaper than rebuilding.

The future good new is... The intake housings on my blown motor and the exhaust housings of my new motor are the "better" parts to have when rebuilding. The intake ports of my old motor are much larger than my new one. The same goes for the exhaust but reversed...

At some point the car will come apart, get blasted, fix all the PO's goober welding and get painted. At that time I may rebuild the engines into one monster HP machine.

Until then, I will be happy just to get it running. I assume the EFI tune will need some tweeking too. smile.gif Looks like the lap top may come to WCR as well.
Mike Bellis
Engine ready to go back in...

Click to view attachment

You can see the start of the primary fuel rail. I decided to use part of an existing rail. 12mm to -6AN fitting and aluminum hard line. Regulator will mount at the end of the hard line.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Got the motor/tranny in. Exhaust on. I had to clearence the turbo down pipe a little to clear the new manifold. Radiator return line replaced; Got damaged while loading onto trailer. Got the lower water pump line macked up to the radiator return line. The upper line remained unchanged.

Now I have to figure put if I'm needing any other little things to get this going. More assembly and pics tomorrow.
Mike Bellis
I got everything under the car assembled today. Ready to take the car off jack stands. The rest of the work is from above. I may need to adjust the shift cables before I can drive it. Now I can focus on the intake and fuel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
matthepcat
Lookin' good. You might be able to drive down to Monterey.
Mike Bellis
Got the fuel system done today. Fired up the pump, fixed a drip and viola...

Cold air box is back in. Lower intake manifold bolted on. All the linkage for the TB and oil pump done. I made a custom bracket for the two cables and modified the TB linkage to pull the oil pump lever when the TB opens. Seems to work great.

I'm waiting on some vacuum hose before I can finish bolting all the intake parts in place. Going to fill all the fluids tomorrow.

I should be running and tuning by next weekend. piratenanner.gif
strawman
Congrats Mike! Glad to see you're making progress, and I can't wait to see the car at WCR2012.

Geoff
oldschool
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 7 2012, 10:45 PM) *

Got the fuel system done today. Fired up the pump, fixed a drip and viola...

Cold air box is back in. Lower intake manifold bolted on. All the linkage for the TB and oil pump done. I made a custom bracket for the two cables and modified the TB linkage to pull the oil pump lever when the TB opens. Seems to work great.

I'm waiting on some vacuum hose before I can finish bolting all the intake parts in place. Going to fill all the fluids tomorrow.

I should be running and tuning by next weekend. piratenanner.gif

great job dude....if I wan't shooting a web TV show about my Rotary 914 ...I would of been on the road by know...I will be checking up on your ride. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(oldschool @ Apr 8 2012, 12:34 AM) *

great job dude....if I wan't shooting a web TV show about my Rotary 914 ...I would of been on the road by know...I will be checking up on your ride. beerchug.gif

I want to see your build video. Where is Lucky & Racing? I think you need a build thread here with teaser photos to promote your TV show. smile.gif
Mike Bellis
The new upper intake mocked into place. The new TB has a water connection for cold start. Hopefully, it warms up better, although it worked fine before without it. I am waiting for the TB snorkel to connect to the intercooler. Even without it, I can get it running and tuned without boost.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The oil filler tube needed modification. It hit the new TB. I have a plan to make it work but i'm waiting untill the final bolt down of the manifold.

Click to view attachment

I had to replace the hose on the right. I got damaged while loading the car on the trailer. I changed the transition piece from threaded steel pipe to thick wall copper. I found 1.25" radius elbows. one 90* and one 45* with a T in the middle for the heater connection. This will connect the radiator return line into the water pump inlet. I'm not a big fan of copper but this seemed like a reasonable compromise and it flows better than the threaded piping. This is the only copper in the system.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Got the Terrycable clutch cable in and the throttle cable finished up. The pedal area gave me a hard time with the accelerator connection. The custom cable end has a set screw for the ball with a cotter pin. Set it and forget it. Setting it was a PITA. But, it will never pop off! Ever! No pics so you just have to imagine my fat ass under the dash. barf.gif

Didn't have as time today due to the holliday.

Here's a better pic of the copper transition piece I made. The T is brass with a threaded bung. The 1/2 nipple goes to the heater in the fresh air box.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
oldschool
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 8 2012, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Apr 8 2012, 12:34 AM) *

I want to see your build video. Where is Lucky & Racing? I think you need a build thread here with teaser photos to promote your TV show. smile.gif
In Daurte Ca....yeah
Mike Bellis
Engine is back together!!! piratenanner.gif

Tomorrow:
Add fluids (water, oil, gear oil, intercooler coolant)
Bleed H2O system
nut and bolt everything
recheck clearance on moving parts
adjust clutch
adjust shift linkage
adjust muffler level to ground
connect ECU, program for larger injectors
crank to prime oil system
install spark plugs
fire up
check for leaks

DRIVE!!!
adjust fuel and spark to new engine configuration
DRIVE!!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Old manifold for reference...

Click to view attachment
JRust
Nice Mike driving-girl.gif Hope the drive goes great
Cairo94507
Cool! I hope to see you cruising around town Mike. beerchug.gif
Lennies914
Way to go Mike. Looks great. piratenanner.gif

Rotary'14
Your rebuild looks even better!,, I can't wait to see it run.
Mike Bellis
Got it running and out on the road. piratenanner.gif

The tune is close but it will take a few days to dial it back in. The first thing to attack is the transient throttle; kind of jumpy at zero throttle input and cruising.
The new primary injectors are really big so some tweeking is in order.

I'm tired time for a beer! beer3.gif

Click to view attachment

Starts with no throttle input. biggrin.gif driving.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ag1lXenmUk?
Rotary'14
that was quick
JStroud
That awesome, glad you were able to get it going. Can't wait to see it run.
Sounds like you'll be ready for WCR. It's nice when hard work pays off piratenanner.gif

Jeff
JRust
Way to go Mike driving.gif . Wish I could be at WCR to go for a ride in it. Congrats bud aktion035.gif
slothness
Love the sound, this car is going to be a beast. Nice work Mike.
Lennies914
Love that "shit eatin grin" on the video.

It just says "yeah, it's fast!"
ruby914
QUOTE(slothness @ Apr 14 2012, 11:23 PM) *

Love the sound, this car is going to be a beast. Nice work Mike.

agree.gif Love that sound. Looks sooooooo fun! beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
Thanks for all the encouragement!

oh, Lennie, It is fast! evilgrin.gif

Time to tweek the tune a little. type.gif Got to get on the freeway and see if it will still put your head back in the seat in 4th gear as it quickly aproaches (and exceeds) 100mph driving.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.