Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Sasquatch Re Build Thread, Part 2 New Rotary then, new trans, all german turbo
Andyrew
post Apr 30 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #61

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Neither does 3k.. Oh and you can part out the rest of the car. Spend the part out money on going through the engine, Making it bulletproof. Also gears are interchangeable through the many years so he can mess with the ratio's and do what he wants.. Or just run a 2.8 trani and have a bit longer ratio's. (I have a 1.8 trani from my car that I wore the syncro's on first and the 2.8 trani from my parts 2.8 car in the backyard, I'll be mixing the gears in the 1.8 and 2.8 to make a nice autox/track car for gears 1-3 and 4/5 will be cruise gears.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 1 2012, 01:48 AM
Post #62

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Think about it. What do you want in the end? (Considering everything... Cost, reliability, performance, longevity, brute HP potential, etc.)

Rotary has HUGE potential. No doubt about power to weight. But for brute power and reliability and longevity and drivability, and... LS1 is a no brain3r. (Really, who figures there's a better engine for the money?)

Audi would be another new adventure.... And the same potential. Hmm. Go go go go!!!
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post May 1 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Rand @ May 1 2012, 12:40 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 30 2012, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 30 2012, 10:29 PM) *

It doesn't get any nicer than an LS1.
Too common? Psh. I think you are ready for it.

LS1 is cool but too much $$$ when you price the adapter, ECU, etc... The best LS solution is the smag legal crate motor. Still $8k complete plus $1k for the adapter. At that rate, I might as well go 3.6L. Which would be cool but I really cant afford to fix a Porsche 6.

The Audi/WV needs no adapter, is smaller and I can use the factory stuff if I pick up the whole car. It's not the first time I stripped the harness and motor out of a donar car.

$9k for a lifetime bulletproof mega powerplant doesn't sound bad. Just sayin...

Um... $9k???? I can get a Trail blazer SS aluminum block 5.3 from the junkyard locally for $750... That motor is right at 300 HP with no improvements - At 9K you should be close to 500+HP with an LS2/930 combo - Just saying...
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 2 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #64

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Look what followed me home today. Can you say donor car???

2000 VW Passat, 1.8 Turbo, 5 Speed, Chipped ECU, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, bunch more goodies. The guy hit a 1 foot by 3 foot piece of concrete on the freeway at 1am. The right front wheel took most of the blow along with the rocker panel and rear wheel. The bumper and intercooler were also damaged. Engine runs good and is driveable, but the two wheels and tires are wasted! The guy is out of work and sold it to me cheap. Real cheap!!! Some of the interior was sold prior to my purchase. Hence the lawn chair drivers seat.

The Plan:
strip apart the harness wire by wire and get rid of what I don't need. No biggie, been an electrician for over 20 years. Decide if I want to keep gauges, info display, etc...

Install the engine/tranny package. Get it running as is but with my air/water intercooler. Then decide if any other mods are warranted. The engine should be good for 200hp as is.

Sell off current engine, ECU, 901, etc... I sold my first blown rotary for $500 yesterday. Who would have thought there was a market for blown engines??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

This time I am using the factory VW ECU and components. No custom programming. I may get it tuned once complete and see if there is any more easy hp inside. At least I don't have to invent the wheel on this one.

The intake and exhaust on this engine are on the same sides as my current setup. Nice! This is a throttle by wire so the pedal will have to swap too. The clutch master cylinder also.

Other than some interior bits, this is a complete car. I should have most everything to pull this off.

Goal
Have it in running condition by WCR 2013!

Is there a record for the most engine swaps for the same car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Stay tuned for part three of my build!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 2 2012, 11:50 PM
Post #65

Spooling.... Please wait

YEEEAHH!

You wont find any more HP than whats in that tune. The ECU and engine self tunes itself on the fly, maxing it out.

You'll really wake the engine up when you swap turbo's. (They have "eliminator" turbo's that bolt on to the stock exhaust manifold...)

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...gory_Code=VVWTK

http://www.ringer-racing.com/category.sc?categoryId=32

Throttle by wire is good IMHO.
+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post May 15 2012, 05:03 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 6,407

Hey Mike, The old lady next door is going to have a cow with your new adventure. John
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 15 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #67

Resident Electrician

It's in the garage right now. 914, still under rotary power is in the driveway. I'm almost ready to pull the engine. Going with a boxster tranny. Same except the 100mm flanges and set up for mid engine cable shift already.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 15 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #68

Spooling.... Please wait

Boxter trani, Well that blows the budget right out of the water (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

6 speed or 5?

+Quote Post
oldschool
post May 15 2012, 11:45 AM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 15 2012, 09:55 AM) *

It's in the garage right now. 914, still under rotary power is in the driveway. I'm almost ready to pull the engine. Going with a boxster tranny. Same except the 100mm flanges and set up for mid engine cable shift already.

So ...what are you going to do with the Rotary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 15 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #70

Cross Member

Psst. Hey. Ecotec 1000hp, smaller displacement. Ready by next WCR.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 15 2012, 03:28 PM
Post #71

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Rand @ May 15 2012, 01:20 PM) *

See you on the track! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 15 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #72

Cross Member

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 15 2012, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ May 15 2012, 01:20 PM) *

See you on the track! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I was hoping you would bring that. That's how you roll after all!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
This Audi stuff is just an in-betweeen. Don't tell me you don't know that.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) just some friendly ribbing Mike. Can't wait to see what you do next. Because there is more than Audi...... :hmmm:
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 15 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #73

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 15 2012, 10:28 AM) *

Boxter trani, Well that blows the budget right out of the water (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

6 speed or 5?

Whatever I get my hands on. See if I can work a deal with Parts Heaven. See them on ebay from $400-$3200(Boxster). Same VW trasnny $300-$1600. Same Audi teanny $800-$2400. All the mounting points are similar, The differential, hubs and gearing are different but similar. The mounts have to be fabbed anyway, so any will workk. Boxster looks like the cheapest in the long run if I include my fab and engineering time. The key is bolt on shfiter, no fab or engineering. Exact same bell housing. 100mm flanges that will bolt up to my 911 CV's. I just have to figure out axle lengths once its in.

So it will be mostly Porsche with a little Audi to keep it interesting. This version will be a ~250hp, factory reliable motor. I intend to keep the MAF sensor and I found a Lambda converter to scale my wideband O2 0v-5v output to the 0v-1v input to the ECU. Should run even better in closed loop. 034 Motorsport is going to reflash my ECU to remove all the equipment I removed from the car. No limp mode, unless an active sensor triggers it. ODBII will still have access but my read modified.

Al at Parts Heaven asked me to bring the car as is to the swap and show in June. I'll drive it there and back then pull the drive train. Selling off the rotary stuff and H gear tranny. If you want anything PM me.

Been busy on the donor car. Stripped the wiring out wire by wire. Once you get the interior out there are a shit load of wires to pull. I started with the radio and speaker/amp harnesses. Easy to spot and took out a lot of wires. Switched to the tail lights. followed those to the front and removed. Then air bag, abs, AC, interior lights, wipers. I was left with some relays, fuse panels and misc extra wiring. I then pulled out a schematic and got it down to the EFI, Steering column and gauge cluster. It still runs!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Its ready to pull out compleatly. Should be an easy transfer. I'm keeping the gauge cluster. It needs a little trimming to fit the stock dash, not too hard. Then I get to keep most of the idiot lights and dash comoputer that says "STOP Low Oil Pressure". Turn signal and high beam lights should work too. I might even be able to get the traction control to work if I fab sensors to the wheels.

Hers a couple pics of the stripped dash and wiring...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here's a pick of my getto intake tube, just used to verify the car was running throughout the operation...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post May 15 2012, 05:46 PM
Post #74

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

EJ25D with 5 speed

Too much time on CL while the site was down.

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 15 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #75

Resident Electrician

This is going to be a throttle by wire install. In this pic of the pedal, there are only 3 bolts holding it to the bracket. Should be an easy transplant, 6 wires to run to the pedal area. I will have to fab a hydraulic clutch. Looks like I have donor parts, but I might go with a Wilwood master cylinder.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 15 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #76

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ May 15 2012, 04:46 PM) *

EJ25D with 5 speed

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
I know what you mean.

That green 914 from Idaho motivated the change. I would never driven the rotary that far. It makes a better race motor than a street motor.

I'll see if I can drive it to Moab one of these days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

BTW, Nice score! Subie... doobie... doo...
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post May 15 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #77

Slacker

Mike, Have you considered using the pedal assy. from the VW? Could even keep the power brakes.
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post May 15 2012, 06:01 PM
Post #78

Slacker

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 15 2012, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ May 15 2012, 04:46 PM) *

EJ25D with 5 speed

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
I know what you mean.

That green 914 from Idaho motivated the change. I would never driven the rotary that far. It makes a better race motor than a street motor.

I'll see if I can drive it to Moab one of these days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

BTW, Nice score! Subie... doobie... doo...

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It inspired me as well. I've got some crazy ideas bouncing around.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 15 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #79

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ May 15 2012, 04:58 PM) *

Mike, Have you considered using the pedal assy. from the VW? Could even keep the power brakes.

I am considering it. I could tie front brackets into my roll bar cross tube. The fresh air box would need to be removed or heavily modified. So would the front firewall. Not sure about the power brakes on my 930 calipers. They work great right now. Why fix it? Will most likely mont a master cyl next to the existing brake master. Seems like an easier solution? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post May 15 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #80

Slacker

I'm thinking of cutting out the entire front firewall and welding in the fire wall out of the suby. This would alow me to utilize the pedal assy., heater, a/c, dash
, and all. According to the tape measure it's all doable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:34 PM