Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> /6 Engines 2.4e vs 3.0cis Dilemma, This things driving me nuts and sending me broke
phillstek
post Mar 8 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,741
Region Association: None

The car has been sitting around for 12 years and the engine was only cranked for the first time a few month or so ago to see if it would run. Squirted some oil into the jugs, cleaned the Webers etc and she fired up pretty much on the 3rd attempt.

Proceeded with other major repairs and mods on the basis that the 2.4 was going to ok.

Fast forward to now. After completing all the other items that needed doing, it's time to tune her up. Start it up and get it running but after about twenty minutes it's still belching blue smoke.

I suspect I have a stuck ring or two. My brother suggests we run some flushing oil in it and find a few good long hills and load the combustion chambers to max pressure to see if that will free them up. I'm not so sure.

A bit of back story. Engine was rebuilt and had maybe 10k miles on it before putting away. I did not drain oil at the time (Mobil 1 full synth).

The other thing is, I also have 3.0 cis that I purchased from a world member last year when we were over in the US. It was running in a 911 that we got to drive and checked out fine. Leakdown and compression tests confirm that it should be good to go.

This engine was purchased as a back up plan should I have issues with 2.4.

Rewind a month or so, decided that I wanted to stick with 2.4 and shelve 3.0 for now with view to build a killer 3.4 out of it at a later date.

Now I don't really know what the best path would be.

Do I try flushing oil in 2.4, possibly breaking a ring?

Do I pull engine and replace rings only?

Should drop 2.4 and put in 3.0 thereby shelving 3.4 killer engine?

If I put 3.0 in do I keep CIS or put my Webers on it?

If I put 3.0 in for time being should I rebuild 2.4 then?

Thanks,

phil

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:47 AM