Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Engines 2.4e vs 3.0cis Dilemma
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
The car has been sitting around for 12 years and the engine was only cranked for the first time a few month or so ago to see if it would run. Squirted some oil into the jugs, cleaned the Webers etc and she fired up pretty much on the 3rd attempt.

Proceeded with other major repairs and mods on the basis that the 2.4 was going to ok.

Fast forward to now. After completing all the other items that needed doing, it's time to tune her up. Start it up and get it running but after about twenty minutes it's still belching blue smoke.

I suspect I have a stuck ring or two. My brother suggests we run some flushing oil in it and find a few good long hills and load the combustion chambers to max pressure to see if that will free them up. I'm not so sure.

A bit of back story. Engine was rebuilt and had maybe 10k miles on it before putting away. I did not drain oil at the time (Mobil 1 full synth).

The other thing is, I also have 3.0 cis that I purchased from a world member last year when we were over in the US. It was running in a 911 that we got to drive and checked out fine. Leakdown and compression tests confirm that it should be good to go.

This engine was purchased as a back up plan should I have issues with 2.4.

Rewind a month or so, decided that I wanted to stick with 2.4 and shelve 3.0 for now with view to build a killer 3.4 out of it at a later date.

Now I don't really know what the best path would be.

Do I try flushing oil in 2.4, possibly breaking a ring?

Do I pull engine and replace rings only?

Should drop 2.4 and put in 3.0 thereby shelving 3.4 killer engine?

If I put 3.0 in do I keep CIS or put my Webers on it?

If I put 3.0 in for time being should I rebuild 2.4 then?

Thanks,

phil

VaccaRabite
flush the 2.4.
If you break a ring, hone and re-ring. If you don't break a ring, jsut drive it.

Zach
Jeffs9146
I had the same problem on my start up of my 3.0L after it sat for 14 years!

I ran a half of a bottle of SeaFoam in the gas tank and some in the first oil change. It smoked for about a month until I managed to get through about 2 tanks and some very spirited driving getting it up to full temp!

It now starts with no smoke at all unless it has been sitting for more than a few weeks!
brant
new pistons and cylinders cost 2K...
I'd open it up before I took a gamble that I wouldn't break the ring....

if its been rebuilt and the P's/C's are in spec why risk trashing them......

brp986s
Just my opinion, but I don't see undertaking the work and expense of taking apart a known good engine, especially when the benefit of the end result will soon be forgotten.

BTW, is it possible to make a 3.4 out of a 3.0, with cis no less?

Aside,. is Fosters Australian for ... budweiser?
falconfp2001
QUOTE(brp986s @ Mar 8 2012, 07:34 PM) *

Just my opinion, but I don't see undertaking the work and expense of taking apart a known good engine, especially when the benefit of the end result will soon be forgotten.

Aside,. is Fosters Australian for ... budweiser?

lol-2.gif Budweiser....hehehehe
J P Stein
QUOTE(phillstek @ Mar 8 2012, 02:16 PM) *

The car has been sitting around for 12 years and the engine was only cranked for the first time a few month or so ago to see if it would run. Squirted some oil into the jugs, cleaned the Webers etc and she fired up pretty much on the 3rd attempt.

Proceeded with other major repairs and mods on the basis that the 2.4 was going to ok.

Fast forward to now. After completing all the other items that needed doing, it's time to tune her up. Start it up and get it running but after about twenty minutes it's still belching blue smoke.

If it's a real E motor, it's worth saving. Look at the jugs. If they are aluminum you prolly have a keeper.

After setting for 12 years your headers are probably well lubricuted with oil.
The sump fills, oil leaks by the rings. and an open exhaust valve will drain oil into em'. Mobil 1 is especially good at this. Don't use that shit on an old motor.

Do not even think about honing aluminum cyls. tho yu may have Brials, if so. OK.

Take off the headers & muffler & clean em' out & try again.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 8 2012, 06:50 PM) *

new pistons and cylinders cost 2K...
I'd open it up before I took a gamble that I wouldn't break the ring....

That's just the parts price though right....you'd still need someone for the rebuild. That's the part that'd scare me away.

Would something like a soak in Marvel Mystery Oil work? Shot down the spark-plug hole.
brant
As always JP is giving sound advice.
it may not be necessary to completely tear down the top end.

but either way I wouldn't trash something that is known good just to cut corners.
it could be expensive to fix... or if JP is right it could be easy..

but the one Known factor is that if you score a cylinder it won't be affordable.

brant
phillstek
Thanks for all of your replies.

Exhaust and muffler were replaced with TR Evo 6 and TR Muffler so they haven't got any old oil in them. I will confirm that the engine is in fact an 'E' by checking the jugs and type number.

BTW I put Brad Penn 'Green Oil' in it. I don't know if that has any bearing on the smoke.

I did a search for a local supplier of Sea Foam and there doesn't appear to be one here.

I'll check out the availability of the 'mystery oil'.

"but I don't see undertaking the work and expense of taking apart a known good engine, especially when the benefit of the end result will soon be forgotten.

Aside,. is Fosters Australian for ... budweiser?"

Are you referring to the 2.4 or 3.0? 3.0 would not run CIS if built into 3.4, I'd be running ITB's and an aftermarket ECU.

And if you mean is Fosters bad, then yes it's like Bud. No-one drinks Foster here.

Thanks again and I would welcome more opinions.

phil
Jeffs9146
Here is an overview of how seafoam works!

Seafoam and how it works!

pete-stevers
yes it is possible to build a 3.4 for cis
but you will need to find some max moritz pistions
and custom rods
you may need to twin plug
ps a 3.0 is nothing to sneeze at in stock form even with cis
pete-stevers
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Mar 9 2012, 10:32 PM) *

yes it is possible to build a 3.4 for cis
but you will need to find some max moritz pistions
and custom rods
you may need to twin plug
ps a 3.0 is nothing to sneeze at in stock form even with cis
and a 3.2 crank
or just go with a 3.0 crank, stock rods and do a 3.2 ss

pete-stevers
and my 98 MM pistons are not for sale... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.