Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Why aren't 914's worth more $$$?
74porsche914
post Mar 10 2012, 08:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,750
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just been wondering why 914's aren't worth more moolah. In my opinion there a lot more practical then british sport cars and other sports cars from the period. Is it because there always in the shadow of the 911? Really I'm grateful there affordable or I would not own one!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(80 - 91)
J P Stein
post Apr 7 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #81

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

The short version is that when they were new....all of em'....they were ugly & slow.
That is not nessarly my view but that of the market place.

Take a 70 Dodge Road Runner, clone a Hemi (or several other cars) and you may make a profit upon sale.
Take a 70 914/6, clone a GT and you'll get your wallet burnt.

This is the actual world beyond 914World.
+Quote Post
unpolire
post Apr 7 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 9,260
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 7 2012, 06:28 AM) *

Some good points Pat, but a argument could be made that 356 "Outlaws" are Collectable. I also see a market for 914-6 Conversions after the Economy comes back.

Oh my. I never knew what a "356 Outlaw" was until I searched after this post. http://outlawcoupe.truspeed.com/
The one in the link has a 914 motor! I have one of the last 356C built. Cannot imagine, with their rising value, why anyone would radically modify a real one. I thought those cars were all fiberglass clones!

I think there will always be a market for 914-6 conversions because they seem to be insanely fast! By the way, the only cars I have ever bought thinking ROI were last model year Cadillac convertibles. Cars that I went to lunch in during college are now $200K+! All of my other vehicles were passion purchases, or "saves," like the complete Alfa Spider I saw hooked on a tow truck heading for the scrap yard because it needed a fuel pump and the owner had no space to fix it! We are not all doctors in formed investment pools: I drive my cars!
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Apr 7 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #83

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(unpolire @ Apr 7 2012, 10:27 AM) *
We are not all doctors in formed investment pools: I drive my cars!

Politely, or with malice? All the cars, or just some?

If you drive hell for leather in the cars that were designed for that then kudos.

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 7 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(larryM @ Mar 11 2012, 12:16 AM) *

2. the 914 cars appeal mostly to a demographic that is gettin' on in age, and never had much moola to spend on hobby cars and still doesn't - if we'd had the money, we'd had a 911

While I agree that most guys my age think the car is ugly, it no doubt turns heads. After having the car running for little over a week, I have not gotten out of it to go to class without someone saying "cool car man!" A lot of kids these days prefer something *different* now that all cars are basically jelly-beans. I even went to the local car show on Thursday with the car basically in primer black and I think I got more attention than most of the hot-rods. Its quirky, its slow, but its different. It almost makes me want to keep it in primer - not too many rat-rod black Porsches around (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Apr 7 2012, 02:55 PM
Post #85

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

George did you go to the Quaker Steak & Lube? I need to get back over there.

And Pat, you are wrong about the Demographics too. I can't tell you how many kids play Forza & other games that have a 914 that think they are cool. My son would love to have a 914-6 instead of his Honda, but he has no mechanical skills even though I gave him a Snap-On Box full of Tools
+Quote Post
unpolire
post Apr 7 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 9,260
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 11 2012, 07:54 AM) *

I have never made a dime on a brit car. My experience with them is the owners don't value them. I mean they seem to sell nice cars cheap because they have to or no one would buy them. I had a Cali rust free 59 MGA with a fresh interior, nice paint and trim and a fresh bored out 5 main engine. I had no interest when selling that car above
$ 8000.00. Sad.. Same with Beetles. I have one of the most solid 66 Bugs from Cali I have ever seen. I know the history. I painted the car for the P.O. 16 years ago. Tried to sell it, no interest at $ 6000.00. There are too many patch up rust buckets that look good on the surface selling cheap.

There is no money to be made restoring cars and selling them in this market. If your doing it, do it because you like to not as an investment. Just have fun with it. The market will come around in time.

The key is not selling them, period. Although E-type and DB5 owners have done very well. Only way collecting has worked for me is that I bought them at a great or fair price and have enjoyed owning and driving them for up to 25 years. Classic cars have outperformed the stock market, so I just lucked out on paper. Cars that I bought for $5K in the 1980's are now worth $60K+, and I have not done a thing. Most owners here are not selling and I bought my 914 out of a garage, where it had been parked for years, only when the PO was selling the house and needed the garage empty. To paraphrase Warren Buffet, the best time to sell ... is never!
+Quote Post
Dustin
post Apr 7 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 12,072

The shorter the observer the better these cars look. From the right angles they look sweet. Most cars aren't worth looking at these days. Most great cars have bad some angles. They also look better with the tops off.

The top on the chopped featured car is hot. The camera is nearly on the ground too.
+Quote Post
Niche
post Mar 20 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #88

Member No.: 15,636

As a new 914 owner, I found this thread interesting. Bumping it to see if any of you have seen any changes within the 914 market over the last year?

+Quote Post
rmital
post Mar 20 2013, 12:11 PM
Post #89

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

QUOTE(Niche @ Mar 20 2013, 01:51 PM) *

As a new 914 owner, I found this thread interesting. Bumping it to see if any of you have seen any changes within the 914 market over the last year?

LINK
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 20 2013, 12:22 PM
Post #90

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(Niche @ Mar 20 2013, 01:51 PM) *

There are changes...look at the link posted this morning:

Are prices rising?
+Quote Post
jhora
post Mar 20 2013, 01:36 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 10,138

here you go....prices are up for nice ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Excellent-C...=item20d085b35a

+Quote Post
green914
post Mar 20 2013, 02:31 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

I go to a lot of the car shows in the Reno and Carson Valley area every year, and I find one thing that all the owners share when it comes to their cars - they spent far more $ on them than they could ever sell them for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) My sons kid me that when I die they will bury me in my 914. Mines not for sale, so I guess the $ value is not important. I'm shopping for another 914 at this time, so I'm glad the prices are still low.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:49 AM