Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WOT: My 'other' garage..., crappy weather so time in the kitchen...
scottb
post Sep 18 2004, 03:20 PM
Post #1

who wants a PEZ?!

Group: Members
Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

took the kids out for a goof off day since the remains of Ivan showed up with a few inches of heavy rain, then in to the kitchen.

i truly dig cooking. just another way of using your mind, hands and senses to please yourself and others.

tonights menu is a nice coq au vin on home made egg noodles. steamed asparagus covered with clarified butter and garlic with shaved almonds. a fresh baguette and some rice pilaf (not out of a box), then a nice bottle of cab. dessert, some ice cream out of a box!

oh, and as an after dinner digestif, a 12 year old port finish single malt scotch and fresh coffee......

mmmmmmmm......

is really nice after mcdonalds for lunch!!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TimT
post Sep 18 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #2

retired

Member No.: 313

i truly dig cooking. just another way of using your mind, hands and senses to please yourself and others.

Amen

I love to cook...

as a matter of fact I just finished making a little marinade for some lamb chops Ill eat tomorrow..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Sep 18 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

Coq au vin is one of my specialties too, ( I grow my own shallots and garlic) but my favourite dish to make is Hungarian Goulash with venison.

Saturday mornings in September are spent turning ripe tomatoes from my garden into tomato sauce for use all winter in spaghetti sauce, chili etc.

I usually like to over pronounce coq, so's not to be mistaken for a 911 owner.
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Sep 19 2004, 02:21 PM
Post #4

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Always loved to cook. I am pretty much the cook of the family, wife says I try to "tell her how to do it" so she just leaves it to me.

Saturday mornings in September are spent turning ripe tomatoes from my garden into tomato sauce for use all winter in spaghetti sauce, chili etc.

I'm jealous, living at 4500' elevation it's pretty tough to grow tomatos (it can freeze any night even in the middle of summer) and I love making red sauce with fresh garden grown tomatos.

I'd say fish is my specialty, used to be a commercial fisherman so always had plenty around. Halibut Olympia mmm good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Sep 19 2004, 02:39 PM
Post #5

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Member No.: 596

God you guys are making me hungry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) Speeking of fish, what kind of sauce can I make to go with Orange Ruffy? I'm in college and have some frozen fish my mom got for me. I want to learn how to make a sauce to go with it. I'll probably do rice. So show me the cecipies you guys have. BTW I don't even know how to make a basic sauce, so all help is appreciated.

How about a college cooking section of 914 club? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Meredith
post Sep 19 2004, 05:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,414

Wow, this is a completely different side of you guys! It's kind of nice...

And I already ate, but my stomach is growling just from reading your recipes.

Mer
+Quote Post
airsix
post Sep 19 2004, 05:26 PM
Post #7

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Probably the best wrench in this outfit is also a chef. Speak up Cap'n.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Sep 19 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #8

retired

what kind of sauce can I make to go with Orange Ruffy?

first prep the fish

some fresh pepper garlic and olive oil marinate the fish

light the charcoal grill, or flame up the gas grill... get nice and hot

seed and skin a tomato chop roughly
mince some garlic
sweet onion (walla walla, or vidalia) chop finely

saute onion in olive oil till soft ( kinda low heat) add garlic, then after a few minutes add tomato...

add some aromatics:

thyme
basil
oregano
black pepper

then add a touch of fish stock, or chicken stock

let the mixutre cook down for a bit

then add some good white wine about 1/2 cup or so

adjust heat and let mixture reduce

stir in some butter (tbsp) to bind the sauce..

take sauce off heat and leave on a warm place on the stove

grill the fish

just a few minutes on each side till fish flakes

resist the urge to fully cook the fish on the gril, it will continue cooking for a bit off the grill

plate the fish

and spoon the sauce over it

YUM!!!

I usually make this sauce with striped bass I catch, but it works well with any neutral flavored fish..
+Quote Post
TimT
post Sep 19 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #9

retired

oh yea, I like to throw some sprigs of thyme on the coals while Im grilling the fish (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
scottb
post Sep 19 2004, 06:12 PM
Post #10

who wants a PEZ?!

Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

that sounds great timt......

then next week do tequila steaks.

get a couple of your favorite steaks and trim the excess fat (if any). this is great with a 1+ inch thick new york strip

in a large zip loc bag put the following

1/8 cup olive oil
1/4 cup tequila
3 cloves garlic minced fine
1 tsp coarse ground pepper (fresh is better)
about 1 tsp of finely chopped lemon or lime zest

mix thoroughly and let marinade in the fridge about 1-2 hours before cooking. turn the bag a few times during marinade for even coating.

grill to your liking over a very hot fire then hit with some kosher or coarse sea salt while resting for 5 minutes after grilling.

and make some margaritas since you have tequila anyway....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Sep 19 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #11

retired

you cant beat this meat

Lobels
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Sep 19 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #12

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Member No.: 596

I'll have to try all of those! Thanks scottb and TimT. You know this is why I like this club. When my mom isn't around I have you guys. It's a second family. Good thing I am 21 so I can actually buy my own tequila. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Sep 19 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(smrz914 @ Sep 19 2004, 12:39 PM)
God you guys are making me hungry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) Speeking of fish, what kind of sauce can I make to go with Orange Ruffy? I'm in college and have some frozen fish my mom got for me. I want to learn how to make a sauce to go with it. I'll probably do rice. So show me the cecipies you guys have. BTW I don't even know how to make a basic sauce, so all help is appreciated.

How about a college cooking section of 914 club? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I'd say it depends on how you will cook the fish. I would sautee it with a little butter and a little good olive oil and then after it is cooked wash the pan with a little wine and reduce it and scrape the pan more wine and reduce about 1/2 then a little cream or butter to thicken and serve it over the warm fish. MMMMMMM!
+Quote Post
red914
post Sep 19 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #14

...i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract...

Member No.: 1,641

speaking of fish, grilling the fresh alaska wild cohos that are in the market now is wonderful! some freshly chopped garlic, a touch of dill. not much else really needed, except maybe some rice or pasta, with steamed veggies. grilled salmon is one of the best things about the pac nw. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
maf914
post Sep 20 2004, 07:25 AM
Post #15

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 18 2004, 03:42 PM)
Coq au vin is one of my specialties too

I also like to cook, and this past year added coq au vin to the menu. My girlfriend even bought a new Le Creuset enamelled cast iron pot for me to use for this. This dish is great on egg noodles!

One simple thing I've figured out recently is how to make a decent cheese steak sandwich. I learned to like cheese steaks while living in Pennsylvania. Few restaurants here in the southeast offer a good one. The chain type restaurants are pretty poor. So I bought a meat slicer, sliced the beef, experimented with cheese and bread (very important), and have found a pretty good combo. In fact this weekend I bought some top round beef on sale, sliced it up, and froze it in serving size packages for later use. (PS, I love the Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets the meat slicer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

I like to cook Italian, Indian, Thai, and Mexican, as well as traditional American. In fact, it was Mexican food that got me started. I had taken a job in Germany and at the time there were no Mexican restaurants to be found. So I started trying various Mexican recipes and gradually learned enough to be able to enjoy my own cooking! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I'm definately no master chief, but I do like to dabble around.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:50 AM