Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fog Lite/Horn Grill Lustre Gone, Any suggestions?
JawjaPorsche
post Mar 13 2012, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I pulled my chrome fog grills and "thought" I could clean them up and make them look better! Wrong! I tried Mothers Chrome Polish but that did very little to get the lustre back.

Does anyone have suggestions? Chrome Paint? Anything?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Mar 13 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Chrome paint is for shit ... buy a new set from Mickey914 (Mark).
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Mar 13 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

I asked McMark the same thing a couple of weeks ago in his shop. His answer, nothing they're chromed plastic, either chrome spray paint, or buy new ones from mikey914.

I'm painting mine for now, since they're not broken.

Hope this helps
Jeff
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 13 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

There are places around that do plasti-chrome resto, but I'd bet the cost would be about the same end cost as a set of Mikey914/914Rubber/Mark W., or even the factory ones (AFAIK they're still available but more than Mark's repros).

I have been able to use some chrome polish to get off grime & the copper oxidation (green crap) that they get on them to some extent, but it's still going to be pitted & imperfect. I got an old pair decent looking for someone once, but wouldn't do that torture again if I can help it!

Since they're a thin plasti-chrome coating over a plastic part (except for the very early pot metal ones 70-71 MY), I suggest the mildest metal polish you can find (some of the brass polish sold in stores like "Pine-Ola" works well) & a soft cloth, combined with lotsa time, gentle elbow grease (not as seen on "This Old House" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), & loads of patience .... & eventually they will look a bit better & somewhat shiny again. All a question of cash, time & desired end product!

BTW - it took me awhile, but I finally figured out "Jawja..." - but then sometimes I'm a bit slow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
And still I've been thru Clayton many times on the way between ATL & Cherokee & Asheville NC - go figure! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Mar 13 2012, 09:39 PM
Post #5

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I painted mine until I get some thing better!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 01:52 AM