Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog Lite/Horn Grill Lustre Gone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I pulled my chrome fog grills and "thought" I could clean them up and make them look better! Wrong! I tried Mothers Chrome Polish but that did very little to get the lustre back.

Does anyone have suggestions? Chrome Paint? Anything?? confused24.gif
SLITS
Chrome paint is for shit ... buy a new set from Mickey914 (Mark).
JStroud
I asked McMark the same thing a couple of weeks ago in his shop. His answer, nothing they're chromed plastic, either chrome spray paint, or buy new ones from mikey914.

I'm painting mine for now, since they're not broken.

Hope this helps
Jeff
Tom_T
There are places around that do plasti-chrome resto, but I'd bet the cost would be about the same end cost as a set of Mikey914/914Rubber/Mark W., or even the factory ones (AFAIK they're still available but more than Mark's repros).

I have been able to use some chrome polish to get off grime & the copper oxidation (green crap) that they get on them to some extent, but it's still going to be pitted & imperfect. I got an old pair decent looking for someone once, but wouldn't do that torture again if I can help it!

Since they're a thin plasti-chrome coating over a plastic part (except for the very early pot metal ones 70-71 MY), I suggest the mildest metal polish you can find (some of the brass polish sold in stores like "Pine-Ola" works well) & a soft cloth, combined with lotsa time, gentle elbow grease (not as seen on "This Old House" biggrin.gif ), & loads of patience .... & eventually they will look a bit better & somewhat shiny again. All a question of cash, time & desired end product!

BTW - it took me awhile, but I finally figured out "Jawja..." - but then sometimes I'm a bit slow! laugh.gif
And still I've been thru Clayton many times on the way between ATL & Cherokee & Asheville NC - go figure! huh.gif
Jeffs9146
I painted mine until I get some thing better!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.