Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LE air dam front and no spoiler rear
RickS
post Mar 13 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

I have read various discussions about balancing a front aerodynamic aid with a rear and vice versa. Have an LE on the front, but nuttin on the back. At 85+ would a rear duck, or something or other aid stability or is it a non-issue?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 13 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 13 2012, 09:34 PM) *

I have read various discussions about balancing a front aerodynamic aid with a rear and vice versa. Have an LE on the front, but nuttin on the back. At 85+ would a rear duck, or something or other aid stability or is it a non-issue?

It's all in the combo. A lower air dam in the front (lower than the LE spoiler) will prevent air from getting under the car, which will help a lot to avoid lift.

My car gets noticeably light in the rear around 110+. A ducktail will help some at those speeds, but a real wing would be much better at keeping that ass on the road.

I've been thinking about a diffuser on the bottom like the ones you can see on modern sportscars.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Thestigz06
post Mar 13 2012, 11:21 PM
Post #3

Aspiring Jarhead

Member No.: 12,749
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 13 2012, 10:19 PM) *

It's all in the combo. A lower air dam in the front (lower than the LE spoiler) will prevent air from getting under the car, which will help a lot to avoid lift.

My car gets noticeably light in the rear around 110+. A ducktail will help some at those speeds, but a real wing would be much better at keeping that ass on the road.

I've been thinking about a diffuser on the bottom like the ones you can see on modern sportscars.

deffinately sounds like something to look into. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
tadink
post Mar 14 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,181

HEY - be really careful about using the W*ng word on this site - they "roast" people here! LOL go check out the other w*ng thread and enjoy!

somewhere - there is truth lurking that a wing might actually help the handling at speed - but I'M not going to suggest it anymore!

td
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 14 2012, 10:14 AM
Post #5

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 13 2012, 10:19 PM) *

I've had thoughts of a diffuser as well. Its one of the reasons why I cut 4" off the bottom of my 916 bumper between the exhaust pipes. So as much of the air that gets trapped back their can escape. I've been to 150 and its pretty scary up there.

But at under 110 like Andy said its really a non issue.

Lets put it this way, I have a 6" sheridan rear spoiler that would drastically increase my rear traction at speeds over 80mph. But I dont feel the need to put it on because I think i'tll ruin the look of my clean rear end and I dont see any performance gains because I dont have plans on going much over 100mph anytime soon.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 14 2012, 11:37 AM
Post #6

Resident German

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 14 2012, 09:14 AM) *
I have a 6" sheridan rear spoiler

What's it look like?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 14 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #7

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i719.photobucket.com-626-1305828349.4.jpg)

Not looking to sell (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 14 2012, 02:08 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

A diffuser would be the best, keep the looks and still get some lift reduction at the back. Does anyone know how to do one w/o compromising the air-flow for the air-cooled engine?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 14 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #9

Resident German

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 14 2012, 01:08 PM) *
A diffuser would be the best, keep the looks and still get some lift reduction at the back. Does anyone know how to do one w/o compromising the air-flow for the air-cooled engine?

I have an idea ... I'll post some more info when i get around to it ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 14 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #10

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have the same Sheridan spoiler going on my car. I do go over 110 regularly...at least when my car has a running engine in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:19 AM