Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LE air dam front and no spoiler rear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
I have read various discussions about balancing a front aerodynamic aid with a rear and vice versa. Have an LE on the front, but nuttin on the back. At 85+ would a rear duck, or something or other aid stability or is it a non-issue?
SirAndy
QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 13 2012, 09:34 PM) *

I have read various discussions about balancing a front aerodynamic aid with a rear and vice versa. Have an LE on the front, but nuttin on the back. At 85+ would a rear duck, or something or other aid stability or is it a non-issue?

It's all in the combo. A lower air dam in the front (lower than the LE spoiler) will prevent air from getting under the car, which will help a lot to avoid lift.

My car gets noticeably light in the rear around 110+. A ducktail will help some at those speeds, but a real wing would be much better at keeping that ass on the road.

I've been thinking about a diffuser on the bottom like the ones you can see on modern sportscars.
popcorn[1].gif
Thestigz06
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 13 2012, 10:19 PM) *

It's all in the combo. A lower air dam in the front (lower than the LE spoiler) will prevent air from getting under the car, which will help a lot to avoid lift.

My car gets noticeably light in the rear around 110+. A ducktail will help some at those speeds, but a real wing would be much better at keeping that ass on the road.

I've been thinking about a diffuser on the bottom like the ones you can see on modern sportscars.
popcorn[1].gif

deffinately sounds like something to look into. idea.gif
tadink
HEY - be really careful about using the W*ng word on this site - they "roast" people here! LOL go check out the other w*ng thread and enjoy!

somewhere - there is truth lurking that a wing might actually help the handling at speed - but I'M not going to suggest it anymore!

td
Andyrew
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 13 2012, 10:19 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I've had thoughts of a diffuser as well. Its one of the reasons why I cut 4" off the bottom of my 916 bumper between the exhaust pipes. So as much of the air that gets trapped back their can escape. I've been to 150 and its pretty scary up there.

But at under 110 like Andy said its really a non issue.

Lets put it this way, I have a 6" sheridan rear spoiler that would drastically increase my rear traction at speeds over 80mph. But I dont feel the need to put it on because I think i'tll ruin the look of my clean rear end and I dont see any performance gains because I dont have plans on going much over 100mph anytime soon.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 14 2012, 09:14 AM) *
I have a 6" sheridan rear spoiler

What's it look like?
idea.gif
Andyrew
IPB Image

Not looking to sell smile.gif
JmuRiz
A diffuser would be the best, keep the looks and still get some lift reduction at the back. Does anyone know how to do one w/o compromising the air-flow for the air-cooled engine?
SirAndy
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 14 2012, 01:08 PM) *
A diffuser would be the best, keep the looks and still get some lift reduction at the back. Does anyone know how to do one w/o compromising the air-flow for the air-cooled engine?

I have an idea ... I'll post some more info when i get around to it ...

idea.gif
campbellcj
I have the same Sheridan spoiler going on my car. I do go over 110 regularly...at least when my car has a running engine in it. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.