Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anybody want Bright Lights? (Pics Added!), Lens Reflector Refinishing (Gauging interest)
bulitt
post May 17 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #21

Achtzylinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Awesome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

you need a DeLorean to mount that in...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post May 17 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #22

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

I'm in! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Harpo
post May 17 2012, 03:47 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,469
Region Association: None

I'm also in please let us know what you have in mind for $

David
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post May 17 2012, 07:29 PM
Post #24

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Mike!

1. I would want one set of rear light buckets done. I have an extra donor set. You can have 2 sets to redo and one to sell if you do my Orangina set. If you do not need donor sets, I would just bring my set from Orangina and pay you.

2. I would want a set of front fog grilles. I can provide 2 donor sets, one from Orangina, or just pay you for a new set or two if you use Mark's black sets. I can ping him and buy a set of new castings are best.

3. I want my 911 Carrera rear tail light buckets done as well.

Thanks!

John
+Quote Post
SchantzMD
post May 18 2012, 04:58 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 6,233

Hey Ethan.

Actually no, but I do have it setup at my place in Riverside. I talked to my SP adviser about bringing it to the campus and he said "don't worry about bringing it down, just shoot me a Youtube video", so that's what I'm doing.
Overall the pumping process is like watching paint dry, but once I hit my 10-6 Torr mark and fire off the evaporation system I have a pretty cool reaction for about 45 seconds.

By the way how are your classes going? I know for me it was pretty easy, then it sucked, then it got easy again, and then it sucked again, LOL! All I know is that it will sure be nice to finally finish and walk on June 9th!

QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 16 2012, 08:07 PM) *

Mike, is that project here at CPP? If so, we've got to meet up some time! This project looks awesome. I'd live to see it in action.

+Quote Post
SchantzMD
post May 18 2012, 05:22 AM
Post #26

Thanks for all the interest guys!

Even though I've been able to achieve a mirror finish I'm still not 100% happy with my substrate preparation yet, so I'm going to have to keep playing around with the pre-coating chemistry before I'll be ready to start doing these. The original base material seems to be a "proprietary" organic based lacquer blend, so finding what matches it will have to be a trial and error process.

I also have to decide if I'm going to leave the reflectors coated or un-coated. If I don't coat them they will be 100% identical to the factory finish and will be completely fine if sealed with good lens gaskets, but if the gaskets leak the reflectors will be susceptible to oxidation and the coating will disintegrate if scrubbed clean (this is because the aluminum coating is only about 600 Angstroms thick). If I do top coat them with a clear coat the durability will increase, but the trade off is that the reflectivity properties may decrease.

I'll keep the post updated and when I have the process dialed in I'll make a note and start throwing some sets up for sale.

Thanks,
Mike

QUOTE(SchantzMD @ May 16 2012, 07:20 PM) *

So after 250-300 hrs of work I finally have my PVD system up and going for my senior project.

Link to the Picasa album build thread

https://picasaweb.google.com/11660191837549...gCJavv_KzkOeHag

The entire thing was built from used vacuum pumps, kitchen parts, aquarium parts, old car parts, scrap steel, clock parts, stuff from Home Depot, oh yeah,... and a little bit of putty.

What's funny is that the finished product matched my initial design specs to a tee, and I ended up achieving an Ultra High Vacuum (UHV) level of .000005 Torr which is only one order of magnitude less than what a lot of Aerospace firms test satellites in,... (so I've been told).

I also had a 1st run deposition attempt on a fog light reflector and surprisingly I was able to make it look like new again!

I'm going to keep playing around with this and see what else I can coat, maybe with some luck I'll be able to do front turn signal buckets and rear reflectors!

All I know is now it's beer thirty time!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

+Quote Post
SchantzMD
post May 18 2012, 05:26 AM
Post #27

Hey how'd you know that's where I got it from! Just don't tell Robbie where I'm at, he's pretty pissed about me stealing his head!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ May 16 2012, 07:44 PM) *

That's not funny. Take that glass orb back to the "Forbidden Planet" history museum and put it back on Robbie's head...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

BTW - awesome A+.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

+Quote Post
JRust
post May 18 2012, 08:17 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Love to see some rear reflectors done! Great project & I'll be in for multiple set of both front & rears (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post May 18 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SchantzMD @ May 18 2012, 03:58 AM) *

Hey Ethan.

Actually no, but I do have it setup at my place in Riverside. I talked to my SP adviser about bringing it to the campus and he said "don't worry about bringing it down, just shoot me a Youtube video", so that's what I'm doing.
Overall the pumping process is like watching paint dry, but once I hit my 10-6 Torr mark and fire off the evaporation system I have a pretty cool reaction for about 45 seconds.

By the way how are your classes going? I know for me it was pretty easy, then it sucked, then it got easy again, and then it sucked again, LOL! All I know is that it will sure be nice to finally finish and walk on June 9th!

QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 16 2012, 08:07 PM) *

Mike, is that project here at CPP? If so, we've got to meet up some time! This project looks awesome. I'd live to see it in action.

This year, classes were fairly easy. Next year, I'm hitting the ground running now that all the pre-reqs are done for my ARO classes, so I'm thinking things are going to be significantly tougher starting in the Fall.

I'm sure you're not going to miss the battle for classes...It's almost a joke how stressful it is..I say this now, because I enroll this morning for fall classes...haha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post May 20 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #30

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

I'm interested as well.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 20 2012, 01:08 AM
Post #31

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Just saw this thread. Looks promising, Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Robbie the Robot was the first thought that came to mind here as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Howie's 914
post May 20 2012, 06:50 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 2,273

I'm also interested.
+Quote Post
Mr.242
post May 20 2012, 08:27 AM
Post #33

May your glass be smaller so it's always FULL!

Member No.: 9,160
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(SchantzMD @ May 18 2012, 04:22 AM) *

I also have to decide if I'm going to leave the reflectors coated or un-coated. If I don't coat them they will be 100% identical to the factory finish and will be completely fine if sealed with good lens gaskets, but if the gaskets leak the reflectors will be susceptible to oxidation and the coating will disintegrate if scrubbed clean (this is because the aluminum coating is only about 600 Angstroms thick). If I do top coat them with a clear coat the durability will increase, but the trade off is that the reflectivity properties may decrease.[u]

I have to say...compared to the amount of reflectivity that a majority of us have RIGHT NOW, the reduced with a clear coat and the durability gained would be a monumental increase. I've got two sets and niether are much to jump up and down for joy. I would offer a set of donors to be done and understand that a clear over them would reduce. However, I also look at it as getting a set of "limited edition" models or 1st editions.

Let me know if you need donors or volunteers as you work on experimental sets. I'll ship you my extra set. Knowing that it might not be up to final specs.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 01:18 AM