Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> erractic timing (NEVER MIND, bad timing light)
Bill Meyer
post Mar 15 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,210

I'm trying to get my timing set on a freshly built 2056 D-jet motor and it's jumping all over the place. I've checked the dizzy again, removed the petronix (as a suspected culprit) checked the advance and such, all looks fine.

I have a yellow paint mark at the 25 degree point on the fan and am trying to check it at 3500rpm, but all I see is the yellow appear occasionally, and when it does it's never in the same place.. totally whacked out.

Any ideas where to start?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 15 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

My first thought is to loosen the distributor clamp and make sure the diz is all the way in. At this point, with a fresh build, I would pull the diz and check it for anything that does not look right.

I'm assuming your not suspecting the timing light?
+Quote Post
Bill Meyer
post Mar 15 2012, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Don't think it's the light, works fine on my other cars. I've cleaned the dizzy and I'm fairly certain it's not that either. I've seen timing walk around a bit when the advance is sticky, but this is totally different. It's so erractic I'm thinking it's simply not firing at random intervals, as I only catch a glimpse of the yellow mark here and there. Bad coil?

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 15 2012, 02:50 PM) *

My first thought is to loosen the distributor clamp and make sure the diz is all the way in. At this point, with a fresh build, I would pull the diz and check it for anything that does not look right.

+Quote Post
Bill Meyer
post Mar 15 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #4

NEVER MIND, , it was the timing light!! Tried another light and it's perfectly stable.. crazy.

..but it's still running poorly and a check of the CHT shows number 4 is about 120 degrees cooler than the other cylinders, guess I'll start a new thread for that issue. fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

QUOTE(Bill Meyer @ Mar 15 2012, 03:04 PM) *

Don't think it's the light, works fine on my other cars. I've cleaned the dizzy and I'm fairly certain it's not that either. I've seen timing walk around a bit when the advance is sticky, but this is totally different. It's so erractic I'm thinking it's simply not firing at random intervals, as I only catch a glimpse of the yellow mark here and there. Bad coil?

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 15 2012, 02:50 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 06:32 PM