Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: erractic timing (NEVER MIND, bad timing light)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill Meyer
I'm trying to get my timing set on a freshly built 2056 D-jet motor and it's jumping all over the place. I've checked the dizzy again, removed the petronix (as a suspected culprit) checked the advance and such, all looks fine.

I have a yellow paint mark at the 25 degree point on the fan and am trying to check it at 3500rpm, but all I see is the yellow appear occasionally, and when it does it's never in the same place.. totally whacked out.

Any ideas where to start?
TheCabinetmaker
My first thought is to loosen the distributor clamp and make sure the diz is all the way in. At this point, with a fresh build, I would pull the diz and check it for anything that does not look right.

I'm assuming your not suspecting the timing light?
Bill Meyer
Don't think it's the light, works fine on my other cars. I've cleaned the dizzy and I'm fairly certain it's not that either. I've seen timing walk around a bit when the advance is sticky, but this is totally different. It's so erractic I'm thinking it's simply not firing at random intervals, as I only catch a glimpse of the yellow mark here and there. Bad coil?

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 15 2012, 02:50 PM) *

My first thought is to loosen the distributor clamp and make sure the diz is all the way in. At this point, with a fresh build, I would pull the diz and check it for anything that does not look right.

Bill Meyer
NEVER MIND, , it was the timing light!! Tried another light and it's perfectly stable.. crazy.

..but it's still running poorly and a check of the CHT shows number 4 is about 120 degrees cooler than the other cylinders, guess I'll start a new thread for that issue. fun sad.gif

QUOTE(Bill Meyer @ Mar 15 2012, 03:04 PM) *

Don't think it's the light, works fine on my other cars. I've cleaned the dizzy and I'm fairly certain it's not that either. I've seen timing walk around a bit when the advance is sticky, but this is totally different. It's so erractic I'm thinking it's simply not firing at random intervals, as I only catch a glimpse of the yellow mark here and there. Bad coil?

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 15 2012, 02:50 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.