Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MegaSquirt again......, 1971 with 73 1.7 and Side Shift
falconfp2001
post Apr 6 2012, 12:03 AM
Post #61

Pancho Pantera

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,456
Region Association: Southwest Region

Couldn't wait for the weekend so started my install of Megasquirt today. Here is apic of the old worn out 1.7 intake. It's really greasy and dirty. The second pic is where I put the Circular connector for my Wire Harness.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post Apr 6 2012, 10:43 AM
Post #62

Pancho Pantera

Before it got dark last night. I twisted one of the studs off while trying to install my injectors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Damn small little stud just came right off with no warning. So, I had to cut up another intake runner to replace. Now, I have no matching sets of intake runners if I need to go back.
guess I'm all in. I'll take pics later when the setup is complete.
+Quote Post
pda914
post Apr 6 2012, 02:35 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 11,966
Region Association: None

Are you using modulated injector pulsing? It is my understanding that you give up modulated injector pulsing to use two control lines to the spark controller.

I am in the process of restoring FI to my 914. However there were no original FI parts so I am using a custom intake on top of the stands for the old carbs. Using injectors out of a F150 5 liter since the flow rate is similar to the original injectors. And a throttle body out of a GrandAM. I added a trigger wheel behind the impeller.

Don't know if the heat saved by using modulated injector pulsing is critical so I an going with it and using one spark control wire firing off the original coil and using the distributor. I did buy a coilpak and would like to use it but don't know if the heat will kill the injector coil.
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post Apr 6 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #64

Pancho Pantera

IT LIVES. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I just finished starting it up after trouble shooting some minor fuel leaks. I only have one problem. It shows half the value of the tach.

Tach reads 2000 and the MS2 reads 1000

I know this has to do with cylinder numbers but I thought I changed them all to 4 where needed.

If anyone can send me an msq file so I can check my settings.

Another question, How do I get it to change the CLT range for high temps?
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post Apr 6 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #65

Pancho Pantera

QUOTE(pda914 @ Apr 6 2012, 01:35 PM) *

Are you using modulated injector pulsing? It is my understanding that you give up modulated injector pulsing to use two control lines to the spark controller.

I am in the process of restoring FI to my 914. However there were no original FI parts so I am using a custom intake on top of the stands for the old carbs. Using injectors out of a F150 5 liter since the flow rate is similar to the original injectors. And a throttle body out of a GrandAM. I added a trigger wheel behind the impeller.

Don't know if the heat saved by using modulated injector pulsing is critical so I an going with it and using one spark control wire firing off the original coil and using the distributor. I did buy a coilpak and would like to use it but don't know if the heat will kill the injector coil.

MegaSquirt uses PWM and it can also control spark as well.

Currently it is setup for fuel only but I also have the trigger wheel for behind the impeller and I've purchased the EDIS 4 coil pack and controller but haven't received it yet. Just started it up today for the first time and it seems to idle smooth but I need to tune it tomorrow.
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post Apr 11 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #66

Pancho Pantera

UPDATE

I must have the worst luck in the world.

1. My first Innovate WO2 sensor was not working properly so I ditched that

2. I ordered an AEM analog WO2 sensor and guage for Next day but it came in two days. Unbelievable since I live in Los Angeles Area (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

3. I installed it and after 2 hours of perfect operation, the gauge goes out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

4. Called AEM for assistance and to send it back for them to see what is wrong and they transfer me to voice mail. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Just cant believe this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post Apr 20 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #67

Pancho Pantera

OK, I have quick update.

Been running for about a week with the new setup. I have found some pros and cons.

Pros
1. 2.0 Plenum and intake setup works great
2. BMW TPS is a perfect fit, operates great.
3. IAC works good in the AAR inlet location
4. Wiring and feedback noise is not a big issue

Cons
1. Had to re-work the IAC a little. To much air was getting by the pintle, I created a rubber boot to go inside the inlet so that the pintle is completely sealed when closed. This solved the problem of idle speed but now makes idle adjustment for temps very fine. If you change anything then you may need to change the idle steps. I may switch to the PWM setup if I can find a clean way to fab it up but most PWM idle control valves need extra hose lines and to be remotely mounted away from the intake plenum. For example, the 1985 BMW 325.

2. Injectors are not working well. I didn't source new injectors as the MegaSquirt Manual says you can adjust the PWM to use low impedance injectors. However, I am experiencing some high RPM stutters and a low MPG which according to the manual could be caused by the flyback circuit for PWM. I'm also experiencing some big fluctuations in AFR during load and steady load. So, I'm purchasing some replacement High Impedance injectors so I don'[t have to use the PWM settings. I found some BMW EV1 injectors that operate at 43.5 psig at 19lbs on e-bay, new.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 05:13 AM