Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT: Volksplane, anyone build or fly one?
rwilner
post Mar 16 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #1

No Ghosts in the Machine

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evans_VP-2

I'm thinking this would be an awesome retirement project for my dad. It would be sweet with a 150 horse 2270 in it!

Any of you pilots have any experience building or flying one of these?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 16 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Google around & check at the websites for AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Assn.) & EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assn.) for info on it.

There have been a number of VW & Porsche powered aircraft done out there, but I don't know if they'd be as reliable nor will they be as comfortable with low revving in cruise flight, as a Lycoming, Continental, etc. aircraft engine.

And you don't just pull over if something up & quits on it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I've often wondered just the opposite - whether anyone ever put a big ole higher powered aircooled Lycoming, Continental, etc. aircraft engine in a 914!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Of course, I grew up with that ole Bill Cosby bit about his high school buddy's Cessna powered car!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (Nash IIRC?)
+Quote Post
Haudiosolutions
post Mar 16 2012, 06:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,284
Region Association: South East States

I MAY be wrong here but arent most traditional aviation engines designed to run at top output constantly and more at the top end for long periods v/s stop and go varible rpm and load ? Not a pilot but have a few friends who are and it's possible I was drinking when a simiar conversation came up.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 16 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

VW engines have been used in kit planes. However, the Lycoming and Continental engines were optimized for this sort of application. When Porsche was trying to break into the aviation market, I understand that things didn't work out at well and the program was scrapped after some Mooneys were built with the 911 based engine.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Mar 16 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #5

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Not a big fan of wood and fabric airplanes. I'd be ok with the VW engine if it had aircraft induction with carb heat and a magneto.

Most aircraft engines don't run at the top end. You have a cruise RPM well below redline. You can increase your RPM for higher speed and takeoff. Then you get into constant speed variable pitch props which increase or decrease pitch and keep RPM constant.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 16 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Bottom line is this. A/C engine developes it's power 2500-2800 rpm. Most prop tips go super sonic above 3300rpm at which point the prop looses it's bite. The type 4 is OK but you will need to fab a plenum box and air intake (I can help with that if you take the plunge), use dual plug heads, dump the points/plugs for electronic, a suitable reduction drive. A volksplane handles like an under powered powered truck and is going to take you about 2500+ hr's construction time. And that's with a small Continental, not an auto engine. A good match for the type 4 is the KR-1 or KR-2. Google it. My favorite use of a VW engine in a/c is Leonard Milholand's "Leagal Eagle" and his "Better Half" engine, which is a Type 1 with the back jugs and half the head cut off using the back half as the motor mount and the front half for 2 cyl's. my2 cents
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Mar 16 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

The Volksplane has been around for over 30 years. If you want low and slow for short periods of time in reeeeally good weather it might be for you. Not for me under any circumstances. I thought about building one of these about 35 years ago. I could say I'm older and wiser now. And I'd be half right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 17 2012, 06:48 AM
Post #8

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 17 2012, 06:49 AM
Post #9

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 17 2012, 09:10 AM
Post #10

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 17 2012, 08:49 AM) *

Attached Image

That looks safe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 17 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #11

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 17 2012, 10:10 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 17 2012, 08:49 AM) *

Attached Image

That looks safe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

My first thought when I saw the transmission:
"Thats terrifying!"
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ww914
post Mar 17 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #12

914 Convert

Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

I have 2500 hours in real airplanes. General aviation, not a commercial pilot. For me, I wouldn't even consider any kind of homebuilt/experimental as they call them, but that's just me. No balls, I guess. Well, maybe their just shriveled up. Think John Denver.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Mar 17 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Have your Dad give these a good look. Probably the only one I would want to build. Very popular. Very efficient. Very safe. (Or as safe as you want to make them). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) http://www.vansaircraft.com/
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 17 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #14

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Do a search for a guy named Jack Lockamy.. He did sheet time back around 2000-01 when the prop hub ripped off the crankshaft and he lawn darted a Type 4 powered experimental..

I get a ton of inquiries from guys wanting engines built for aircraft applications, but I won't even do more than reply and wish them luck. If I am flying behind anything it'll be a Lycoming or at least a Continental. I love TIV engines but they are out of place if they aren't being used for ground power.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 17 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #15

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Try Kit Fox search - they're powered by proven Rotax Ultralight & small aircraft engines made for the task. A project you two could tackle together, then enjoy the old school type flying of a Sport AC which harkens back to the old Piper Cubs.

As I said in my 1st post & echoed by many posters since - VW & auto engines really aren't made for aviation, even if some apply them to the task.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 17 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #16

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

If you do a VW engine for a plane you use a type 1 engine, there's more parts made for it.
http://www.greatplainsas.com/

| have had a few guys buy stuff off me over the years for both the 1/2 engine and full size, these are mostly low budget, low power, level flight hobby planes. Level flight is all you get even with a bigger stoke engine, unless you figure out a dry sump system.

If I had the will (and the money) to build a car engined plane it be a Vans with a turbocharged subaru engine.
This will also give you a idea on how much goes into a build.
http://sdsefi.com/rv4.htm
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 01:08 PM