Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Volksplane
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evans_VP-2

I'm thinking this would be an awesome retirement project for my dad. It would be sweet with a 150 horse 2270 in it!

Any of you pilots have any experience building or flying one of these?

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Google around & check at the websites for AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Assn.) & EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assn.) for info on it.

There have been a number of VW & Porsche powered aircraft done out there, but I don't know if they'd be as reliable nor will they be as comfortable with low revving in cruise flight, as a Lycoming, Continental, etc. aircraft engine.

And you don't just pull over if something up & quits on it! blink.gif

I've often wondered just the opposite - whether anyone ever put a big ole higher powered aircooled Lycoming, Continental, etc. aircraft engine in a 914!!?? confused24.gif

Of course, I grew up with that ole Bill Cosby bit about his high school buddy's Cessna powered car!! biggrin.gif (Nash IIRC?)
Haudiosolutions
I MAY be wrong here but arent most traditional aviation engines designed to run at top output constantly and more at the top end for long periods v/s stop and go varible rpm and load ? Not a pilot but have a few friends who are and it's possible I was drinking when a simiar conversation came up.
GeorgeRud
VW engines have been used in kit planes. However, the Lycoming and Continental engines were optimized for this sort of application. When Porsche was trying to break into the aviation market, I understand that things didn't work out at well and the program was scrapped after some Mooneys were built with the 911 based engine.
jmill
Not a big fan of wood and fabric airplanes. I'd be ok with the VW engine if it had aircraft induction with carb heat and a magneto.

Most aircraft engines don't run at the top end. You have a cruise RPM well below redline. You can increase your RPM for higher speed and takeoff. Then you get into constant speed variable pitch props which increase or decrease pitch and keep RPM constant.
76-914
Bottom line is this. A/C engine developes it's power 2500-2800 rpm. Most prop tips go super sonic above 3300rpm at which point the prop looses it's bite. The type 4 is OK but you will need to fab a plenum box and air intake (I can help with that if you take the plunge), use dual plug heads, dump the points/plugs for electronic, a suitable reduction drive. A volksplane handles like an under powered powered truck and is going to take you about 2500+ hr's construction time. And that's with a small Continental, not an auto engine. A good match for the type 4 is the KR-1 or KR-2. Google it. My favorite use of a VW engine in a/c is Leonard Milholand's "Leagal Eagle" and his "Better Half" engine, which is a Type 1 with the back jugs and half the head cut off using the back half as the motor mount and the front half for 2 cyl's. my2 cents
Elliot Cannon
The Volksplane has been around for over 30 years. If you want low and slow for short periods of time in reeeeally good weather it might be for you. Not for me under any circumstances. I thought about building one of these about 35 years ago. I could say I'm older and wiser now. And I'd be half right. av-943.gif
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 17 2012, 08:49 AM) *

That looks safe blink.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 17 2012, 10:10 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 17 2012, 08:49 AM) *

That looks safe blink.gif

My first thought when I saw the transmission:
"Thats terrifying!"
ww914
I have 2500 hours in real airplanes. General aviation, not a commercial pilot. For me, I wouldn't even consider any kind of homebuilt/experimental as they call them, but that's just me. No balls, I guess. Well, maybe their just shriveled up. Think John Denver.
Elliot Cannon
Have your Dad give these a good look. Probably the only one I would want to build. Very popular. Very efficient. Very safe. (Or as safe as you want to make them). happy11.gif http://www.vansaircraft.com/
Jake Raby
Do a search for a guy named Jack Lockamy.. He did sheet time back around 2000-01 when the prop hub ripped off the crankshaft and he lawn darted a Type 4 powered experimental..

I get a ton of inquiries from guys wanting engines built for aircraft applications, but I won't even do more than reply and wish them luck. If I am flying behind anything it'll be a Lycoming or at least a Continental. I love TIV engines but they are out of place if they aren't being used for ground power.
Tom_T
Try Kit Fox search - they're powered by proven Rotax Ultralight & small aircraft engines made for the task. A project you two could tackle together, then enjoy the old school type flying of a Sport AC which harkens back to the old Piper Cubs.

As I said in my 1st post & echoed by many posters since - VW & auto engines really aren't made for aviation, even if some apply them to the task.
Mark Henry
If you do a VW engine for a plane you use a type 1 engine, there's more parts made for it.
http://www.greatplainsas.com/

| have had a few guys buy stuff off me over the years for both the 1/2 engine and full size, these are mostly low budget, low power, level flight hobby planes. Level flight is all you get even with a bigger stoke engine, unless you figure out a dry sump system.

If I had the will (and the money) to build a car engined plane it be a Vans with a turbocharged subaru engine.
This will also give you a idea on how much goes into a build.
http://sdsefi.com/rv4.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.