Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You CF bigots in denial, and living in the past., Carbon fiber fans unite!
bob91403
post Sep 22 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,763

You carbon fiber bigots out there are in denial, and living in the past. You call it "ricey", only because the manufacturers sell to the largest market, the ricers. But, you damn well know you'd opt for all the carbon fiber options you could get if you had the half mil. to spend on a Porsche Carrera GT. How can you call it "ricey", the whole damn dream car is full of carbon fiber. It happens to be a technological advancement, not some kind of fashion statement. Yeah, I think the stuff looks great. I'd love to get enough people together to convince rennspd.com to give me a good price on a pair of 916 bumpers, a pair of hoods, a rear wing, and to make molds for standard rocker panels, and a targa top. Maybe even some interior parts like dash top, bottom, face, doorpanels, center console, backpad. Stronger and lighter are two things you have to like. If you dont like the look, pad it or paint it. But, you can't look at a Porsche Carrera GT and make me believe you think it's "ricey". :finger2:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeff Bonanno
post Sep 22 2004, 02:40 PM
Post #2

il dottore

Member No.: 636

dood - who is this aimed at? did i miss something?
+Quote Post
davidcalvin
post Sep 22 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,662

Carbon fiber rocks. My racing bike is made of it. Its fast and its strong. Its a stiffer ride than my Ti Cinelli was.. but still totally worthwhile.

Who said it was ricey? What does ricey mean? Are you implying that asians invented carbon fiber?

The lure of Carbon Fiber components and structures is primarily due to their reduced weight, increased
tensile strength and deflection properties as compared to steel. Carbon fiber structures can be up to 75%
lighter than steel and 10 times as strong.
Brief Carbon Fiber History
The history of Carbon Fibers dates back to the end of the 19
th
century when Thomas Edison and Joseph Swan
invented a light bulb using carbon fiber obtained by carbonizing cotton and bamboo. This was the beginning
of the history of Carbon Fibers as we know them today.
Back around 1957 scientists invented carbon fibers from cotton and Rayon.
A few years later in 1961 carbon fibers were manufactured from polyacrylonitrile (PAN) in Osaka Japan
which was the beginning of “high performance” Carbon Fiber materials. It wasn’t until 1971 that small
amounts of PAN Carbon Fibers were being produced for sale to industry.
By 1973 the first Carbon Fiber fishing poles and golf club shafts were being developed. By the mid 1970’s
high performance Carbon Fiber yarns were being used in the aircraft industry. Many industries embraced the
invention of Carbon Fiber yarns and thus fiber/epoxy components. By the early 1990’s Carbon Fiber anilox
rolls were being experimented with.
Today Carbon Fibers anilox rolls made of carbon fibers and toughened epoxy resins are quite common.
Carbon fiber tubes are made up of millions of individual carbon fibers that are wound over a steel mandrel
while mixed with epoxy solutions which cure to form the finished Carbon Fiber tubing. The direction that the
fibers are wound along with the epoxy chemistry used is critical in producing the properly specified anilox
roll for a particular application. When one considers reduced weight, reduced cylinder bounce due to
deflection properties and increased harmonic resonant absorption properties, Carbon Fiber rolls become very
attractive. However, they come with a price and are not yet ready for all applications
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 22 2004, 02:46 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Jeff Bonanno @ Sep 22 2004, 12:40 PM)
dood - who is this aimed at? did i miss something?

Not if you agree. But, I've found a lot of negative responses on the subject from other members.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Sep 22 2004, 02:58 PM
Post #5

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

It's ricey when you use it just for looks and is serving no other real purpose.

It's ricey when it is slapped on in places it doesnt belong or doesn't match

It's ricey when it is used where another much cheaper material actually works far better.

It's ricey when it isn't even CF (just a sticker).

There are many great uses for CF. I don't think anyone thinks CF in and of itself is ricey in any way. Just the way some people use it.

Demick
+Quote Post
machina
post Sep 22 2004, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 848

I made my door panel from CF, my first CF project. Was easy cuz its just a flat piece. I have other composite projects planned but right now I need to get this lump running again. I like mixing modern materials and technology with old cars or buildings, the juxtapostion brings out the best in both.

Not sure why you care what some others may think of your ideas. Just carry your own flag and I'm sure the likeminded members will find you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Sep 22 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #7

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

welcome to the f-ing board, bob!

:finger2: :finger2: :finger2:

i have a feeling you'll fit right in, as contentious as you come off.

nathan

(has a carbon fiber shift knob in his 914)
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 22 2004, 03:09 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Demick @ Sep 22 2004, 12:58 PM)
It's ricey when you use it just for looks and is serving no other real purpose.Demick

So, you don't think it has any astetic value? I like the look. You're entitled to your opinion. The fact is, it's still lighter and stronger. So, there really isn't any application that could be considered "just for looks".
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 22 2004, 03:14 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bob91403 @ Sep 22 2004, 02:09 PM)
So, there really isn't any application that could be considered "just for looks".

well, if you like the "ricer look" ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

says he who has a CF 911 dash in his 914 ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 22 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Sep 22 2004, 01:07 PM)
welcome to the f-ing board, bob!

:finger2: :finger2: :finger2:

i have a feeling you'll fit right in, as contentious as you come off.

nathan

(has a carbon fiber shift knob in his 914)

Yeah, I'm just trying to rattle the cage, and beat the bushes. The only reason these parts aren't available at a reasonable price is because of the limited demand. If enough of us get together on this, we can create the demand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Sep 22 2004, 03:17 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

I don't think anyone here ever said anything bad about CF bodyparts (not as far as I can remember)
Actually, pretty much all places that make glass fiber parts can whip out the same parts in CF (at a premium price), no need for special molds...
Those parts are made in the same way as glass fiber parts though, and therefore are not much lighter or stronger...

So per definition, they are "rice". Not that I care... I think it looks cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Still, it is in no way comparable to the CF frames of the Carrera GT or a bike or F1 parts etc.
Those are indeed stronger/lighter, but they are also manufactured completely different (bring mega $$$)
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 22 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 22 2004, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Sep 22 2004, 02:09 PM)
So, there really isn't any application that could be considered "just for looks".

well, if you like the "ricer look" ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

says he who has a CF 911 dash in his 914 ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) Andy

Seen it. Beats cracked vinyl. I also like the looks of the stitched leather dashes. Some things are timeless. At $250, not much difference in price, but it probably weighes about half as much.
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 22 2004, 03:24 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Sep 22 2004, 01:17 PM)
I don't think anyone here ever said anything bad about CF bodyparts (not as far as I can remember)
Actually, pretty much all places that make glass fiber parts can whip out the same parts in CF (at a premium price), no need for special molds...
Those parts are made in the same way as glass fiber parts though, and therefore are not much lighter or stronger...

So per definition, they are "rice". Not that I care... I think it looks cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Still, it is in no way comparable to the CF frames of the Carrera GT or a bike or F1 parts etc.
Those are indeed stronger/lighter, but they are also manufactured completely different (bring mega $$$)

If made properly, (vacuum bagged) they are considerably stronger and lighter.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 22 2004, 03:33 PM
Post #14

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I think I need CF dots on my doors and hood vs the white vinyl ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Damn Bob you sure can stir up the dander around here. have oa couple of these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) on me. And I'll have one too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 22 2004, 03:42 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 22 2004, 01:33 PM)
I think I need CF dots on my doors and hood vs the white vinyl ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Damn Bob you sure can stir up the dander around here. have oa couple of these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) on me. And I'll have one too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

I just tried to, after looking at the more successfull threads, get as much participation as possible. Seems you have to be confrontational to get a large amount of views around here. Thanks, I will down one right now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Sep 22 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #16

2270 club

Member No.: 218

For my dream 914 I've actually been thinking about a black 914-6, 3.2L engine, GT flares, carbon fiber front and rear hoods clear coated rather than painted.
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 22 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 22 2004, 01:50 PM)
For my dream 914 I've actually been thinking about a black 914-6, 3.2L engine, GT flares, carbon fiber front and rear hoods clear coated rather than painted.

I'd go for a 3.6 twin turbo. But, that's just me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Andy
post Sep 22 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,194

You've given me the courage to cover my car in carbon fiber, and to put on the neon lights and then I'll go cruising and pick up high-school girls!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Yes, yes, I'm an ass, or so people keep telling me.
+Quote Post
siverson
post Sep 22 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

Huh?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
siverson
post Sep 22 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:01 AM